Why did you pick female or male? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why did you pick female or male?

Assuming your not breeding.

Mine is a female and I'm not sure why I'm attracted to females....I just think it's a little funny to have such a loving, close relationship with a male when I'm male too....
gsdemack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

All 3 of my shepherds have been female.....

I used to say they stay close to home as my rationale for getting a female....and perhaps there might be some truth in that...But, if I didn't thoroughly enjoy the first two ...I wouldn't have a third....who is incredible.

Anyway, I am certain those who own males have just as good reasons for their preference.

I don't think your choice in a female dog is "funny".....because I think the same....I'd get another one if it should be.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just prefer females... Males are all fine and dandy... I just like my girls. The only bit of testosterone in this house is my cat... who is neutered.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
All 3 of my shepherds have been female.....

I used to say they stay close to home as my rationale for getting a female....and perhaps there might be some truth in that...But, if I didn't thoroughly enjoy the first two ...I wouldn't have a third....who is incredible.

SuperG
I have slightly the same opinion. In any dog I've ever owned GSD or not I've always seemed to prefer female. Only because in my personal opinion & experience they always seem to make the more loyal protective dog. Most the males I've had were ramblers of sorts & never developed such an incredible attachment to me. When I recently got my first GSD a while back I was getting her for guard dog purposes as my lab husky mix that I kept outside passed away over a yr ago. I went for the female again. This was the first time I requested female when inquiring & it was because I also pondered on the fact of which sex I think I prefer.

Stewart Australian Shepherd 5/2006

Babe Daschund 2/2006
KayDub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My GSD was a rescue so no choice there, My Bull Mastiff/APB/Lab/Mix was a male but he was a tri color only seen one other tri color pit mix so unique was the reason.

My Boxer was a female, I wanted a male but they were all unavailable, I wanted (needed) a Boxer right then! So I chose a girl! No regrets, girls are kinda stubborn but I loved her! Next Boxer only female dog in the household will be a girl Boxer.

So by default my next GSD will be a male.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I choose according to what will fit in with the pack at the time. My next dog will probably be a female.
I prefer males though both genders are fine~not dealing with heat cycles is a bonus in owning a male!
I just don't know if having male/male would be a good idea. Hard enough dealing with two spayed females and an intact male. The females are getting older, so it will be awhile before I add anything.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I choose according to what will fit in with the pack at the time. My next dog will probably be a female.
I prefer males though both genders are fine~not dealing with heat cycles is a bonus in owning a male!
I just don't know if having male/male would be a good idea. Hard enough dealing with two spayed females and an intact male. The females are getting older, so it will be awhile before I add anything.
I dealt with Male/Male and had "issues" but that was my failing!

Nonetheless two female taking "exception" to each other is much worse! In "Boxer World" two female Boxer in a single household is a "NO!"

Good enough for me! Learning crap the hard way gets old after awhile!
But in general Male/Female is always the best combo but when you move to three or more dogs...you have to chose a gender.

I would lean toward males in that case, myself.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

All of my pets (9 lifetime total), including cats, have been female except for one dog.

Why?

Well, male animal genitals have freaked/grossed me out ever since one of my professors in college handed around a petrified walrus, err, specific part of the male anatomy, and had us all hold it and guess what it was (didn't even tell us it was part of an animal). Don't ask me why it was so disgusting, just trust me, it was, okay?
Forever loved
lovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

We chose a female hoping she would be more gentle with our 3 cats. Unfortunately two of the cats taunt her and run. The very old cat ignores her and she ignores him. She chases the younger cats occasionally but has never shown any aggression. If she pins one of them with her body she just licks them. Maybe she's tasting them....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Charlie (meow) 2000-
Puma (meow) 2010-
Nitro (meow) 2010-
igottabecrazy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I love the males and their masculine look. But my next dog will be a female to protect the pack dynamics.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.