Shepherd and Small Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shepherd and Small Dog

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking on this board for a while, while I have been looking for a shepherd puppy. I have joined to ask everyone for their expert advice

Soo… I have a Pomeranian right now that doesn't know when to back down or shut his mouth. This is something that we have worked on for years with him and he is much better than he was but still thinks he is top dog with other dogs.

I really have my heart set on a GSD but I am VERY nervous that a Shepherd might not put up with my Pom and all it would take would be one bite, which could seriously hurt or kill him. I wanted to ask your advice and whether you guys think this could work? Ultimately I know the "solution" will have to be in training the shepherd, cause it isn't going to come from the Pom. I have read many shepherds have high prey drive or possible aggression issues with smaller animals.

I don't want you guys to think I am unable to handle a Pom so why am I getting a GSD. The Pom came from a very bad situation in a rescue where he did not get enough to eat and had to fight other dogs for food. He used to food and toy guard, which he doesn't do anymore. Overall he is a really good dog but seems to have "security" issues when he is around big dogs.

Thank you in advance for all of your help! I appreciate it

J
jrennie15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

We introced our GSD Jake to our 10 year old Mini Schnauzer when she was 10 and he (GSD)was 4 months old, they are 14 and 4 now. They get along fine, a Pomeranium is another story. With his previous situation I would hold off and let the Pomeranium be your only Dog.
fredh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

jrennie, have you had your pom around other dogs ?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
jrennie, have you had your pom around other dogs ?

Hi!

Yes, I have and he does really well with smaller dogs and cats and with bigger dogs he is afraid of them and as long as the bigger ones aren't right "in his face" he is fine with them and will just ignore them. My mom and mother in law both have small male dogs and he loves them both and gets a long with them well. However, my neighbours have a Golden Retriever and the golden retriever is very excited and wants to be your best friend and that seems to stress my Pom out and he just snarls at him, he won't bite him or anything, just a sort of "back off" warning. The trainer we were working with seems to think that my Pom could adjust and get used to a big dog in the same way he got over his fear of children (he adores my nephew now, but is terrified of kids except him). I just don't want him to end up getting hurt, but I am a bit of a worrier. Any GSD I were to purchase I would want to get as a puppy not an adult whose history I am unsure of.

Thanks!

J
Old 05-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Adding a second dog to home with a dog that has "issues" is seldom a recipe for success. Your already anticipating problems from the dog you don't have yet. Not a good place to start.

Best advice is to double up on training your Pom or find a Pom rescue and pass him on.

It's not a big dog small dog thing, it's a well trained dog vs a dog with problems thing. I have met a few small dogs and found them to be very nice dogs, so it can be done. But its not easy (as you seem to know). But your present dog is where you need to start!

Sounds like you need to look at this:

Train him like the Big Dawg he thinks he is!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

That is an excellent video Chip! Thank you for sharing that, I will contact one of our local trainers and keep working with him in a controlled environment.

Thanks!

J
Old 05-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have two smaller dogs. One is 20 pounds and the other is 30 pounds. Yes, they have gotten into fights with the GSD, but the GSD doesn't seem to want to hurt them. He could if he wanted to. Other than bite marks (scratches) on the nose of the 30 pound dog and bite marks (scratches) on the 20 pounds dogs ear he has not caused major damage to them.

I got the worst end of one fight when the 30 pound dog locked onto my hand instead of the GSD. That has been the worst injury and the fighting rarely happens now.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Ideally, there should be age difference not less than 2 years. Then the younger dog (better of the opposite sex) would always treat the older as a superior. No, your GSD puppy wouldn't bite your small chap, most likdely he/she will choose him to be his/her best teacher and copy his/her behaviour. So, prepare for possible barking in unison. And, two dogs often work as a team against other dogs. You Pomeranian would provoke, and your GSD would start protecting his/her smaller friend one day - that is where all your troubles may occur. You should start training young puppy from the very first day you get him, possibly walking separately from your other dog. Any forbidding commands wouldn't work neither for barking, nor for attacking other dogs. So, it wouldn't be a bad idea to plan to neuter one of them if not both.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

When you get your GSD pup, they may be about the same size, so your Pom shouldn't be frightened and as your GSD pup grows, they will probably be bonded together so your GSDs increase in size will probably go unnoticed by your Pom.

I have to say, my 5yo GSD girl loves little dogs, regardless of how badly mannered they are, she puts up with their aggression and just enjoys being around them.

My 3yo GSD male only loves very dominant, tough little dogs, he doesn't do well with ones that are fearful.

I'm sure you will be fine, you might have to iron out a few wrinkles but you probably would regardless of the breed

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
When you get your GSD pup, they may be about the same size, so your Pom shouldn't be frightened and as your GSD pup grows, they will probably be bonded together so your GSDs increase in size will probably go unnoticed by your Pom.

I have to say, my 5yo GSD girl loves little dogs, regardless of how badly mannered they are, she puts up with their aggression and just enjoys being around them.

My 3yo GSD male only loves very dominant, tough little dogs, he doesn't do well with ones that are fearful.

I'm sure you will be fine, you might have to iron out a few wrinkles but you probably would regardless of the breed
Thanks for your help everyone! I greatly appreciate it!

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.