Help me!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me!!

So my german shepherd girl just turned 3 yesterday and had an appifiane of sorts. When she was just a one year old pup my life turned upside down and the situation I was put in forced me to make her an outside dog. Seeing as within the next year and a half I will be moving on from my current situation and will be getting my own house in which to keep her inside like she belongs to be. But that was besides the point. The point I'm trying to make is within the last two years my bond with my dog has almost been completely diminished and I don't know what to do! I've tried and failed to regain some of that bond within the last couple of days but she is completely disinterested. She isn't leash trained, has no basic obedience and barks constantly! I'm so lost and it kills me that my dog doesn't seem to want anything to do with me. I refuse to give her up because once I commit to something, especially an animal, I'm in it to the end. I was just hoping someone can give me some advice to help me with anything and maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong!?!?
Brittany87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is she is a chained up dog? If so, get her off the chain and work with her.

Why aren't you doing things with her, regardless of her not being an inside dog?
She barks out of boredom, frustration. How can she have any obedience if she is out and about to her own devices? Truthfully, committing yourself to your dog, may not be in her best interest if it is living life in a yard with no purpose. She deserves more than that.
Classes, and activities can be done with an outdoor dog, living outside isn't an excuse to not work with her.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

No she is in a kennel and I've tried to work her but I just don't know where to begin. She listens to me if I have food but that's about it. Everything I've read says to work on new commands in distraction free zones but I'm not able to do that since she's outside. My social situation keeps me from doing most of the things I want to do with her like agility and schuhzund. Trust me my dog is my life and I try to do things in her best interest but I just don't know where to begin.
Brittany87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

find a trainer to help you...add your general location for suggestions if you can't find one on your own(Pet store type training is not what I'd recommend though)
Sometimes people who train in agility or schutzhund will also be 'professional' trainers who may be willing to do some private lessons with you if classes aren't doable.
Where there's a will, there's a way!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany87 View Post
So my german shepherd girl just turned 3 yesterday and had an appifiane of sorts.
Epiphany?
Quote:
3. a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.
If so, I'm not sure that's the word you're looking for.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Maybe, if your will to explain in more detail; "your social situation" the "reasons the dog was kenneled/caged during the duration of thing's" someone here can guide you through..

So, many unanswered questions :

We need pictures and details...
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Forget about her age or what's happened in her past and your situation and don't think about what you think she *should* be able to do....work on the dog you have in front of you right now. Make small goals so that you can see progress, take baby steps. You cannot expect a dog that's been living outside to suddenly be doing obedience and heeling on a leash. She's going to need the treats for a while and if that's the reward she's working for it will need to be slowly faded away. But more importantly you need to establish a relationship so she WANTS to work with you, treats or not, and that just takes a lot of time.

I would sign up for a basic obedience class. If you're getting frustrated, you'll benefit from the help of a trainer who can observe and help you make some realistic goals, get the ball rolling as far as progress.

There's no reason she can't enjoy your company and learn obedience even living in a kennel, provided she's getting enough interaction, physical exercise, and mental stimulation.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Maybe try the Leerburg site for videos on pack structure and the "Power of Training Dogs with Food"? More info would really be helpful, but it sounds like you may need to start as if this is a new dog - from the absolute ground up, do over.

Leerburg Dog Training | 17,500 pages of dog training information, 750 free dog training streaming videos, free eBooks, podcasts, by Ed Frawley and Michael Ellis

Good luck, and for goodness sake, try to have fun!
kjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

if folks can adopt dogs and establish a bond so can you. takes time and effort. first thing to do is leash training.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If she is unruly on a leash then buy a prong collar and fit it correctly.

Yes, she should learn how to properly walk on a leash without having to use a prong collar but since you can't really walk her right now with how she behaves then I would get a prong collar and start there. Walking her will help form a bond as well as working on basic obedience using food since she is food motivated. Get her some toys and play with her in the yard.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.