Heavy Duty Crate for Truck Bed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heavy Duty Crate for Truck Bed

Hello Shepherd Gurus!

I'm looking for advice for any information on AFFORDABLE, but sturdy crates for my truck bed. I know that it is getting warm out, and believe me I do NOT intend on leaving my dog in the crate for any extended period of time. This crate is ONLY meant for traveling purposes to keep him secure in the event of an accident. I would like something somewhat low profile and similar to this: Transport Box-Elite K-9

However, I cannot afford something with that price tag. So I have been severly limited as far as "decent" crates go. I doubt there is anything out there in my price range, but I am willing to spend around $200. Even if there is something used.

I would of course secure the crate with rachet straps and a chain as well...to keep some crackhead from stealing it from the back of my truck.

Like I mentioned previously, I would only use this to transport my dog aroung 15-20 minutes to service dog training. If I drive home (8 hours to SC)...I would of course have him in the cab with me enjoying the nice cool AC and his delicious antler and bully sticks.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

-Matt
KotaRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

My answers are based on the Lyman address.

There is an Owens dealer in Columbia. Maybe he has some used boxes or scratch and dent. If you are in KY, there may be one near you but they also make a DIY kit
that may be in your price range
Running Boards, Tool Boxes, Dog Boxes, Commercial Use Products - Owens Products, Inc - Sturgis Michigan

You should also drive over to the new Cabelas and Check out the Rough Tough Dog Kennels which are more in your price range. (if you are in Lyman). For the kind of transport you are describing these should be great. I got an owens welded box (at a much higher price) because my dog may be in his crate all day with short breaks and I did not want to cram him into a transport sized crate but the Rough Tough Kennels are very nice. EDIT-I am sure you can find the best price at some of the gundog supply sites.
Ruff Tough Kennels-Dog Crates, Dog Kennels and Dog Carriers

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
My answers are based on the Lyman address.

There is an Owens dealer in Columbia. Maybe he has some used boxes or scratch and dent. If you are in KY, there may be one near you but they also make a DIY kit
that may be in your price range
Running Boards, Tool Boxes, Dog Boxes, Commercial Use Products - Owens Products, Inc - Sturgis Michigan

You should also drive over to the new Cabelas and Check out the Rough Tough Dog Kennels which are more in your price range. (if you are in Lyman). For the kind of transport you are describing these should be great. I got an owens welded box (at a much higher price) because my dog may be in his crate all day with short breaks and I did not want to cram him into a transport sized crate but the Rough Tough Kennels are very nice. EDIT-I am sure you can find the best price at some of the gundog supply sites.
Ruff Tough Kennels-Dog Crates, Dog Kennels and Dog Carriers

The reason it says Lyman SC/Ft. Knox is because I'm stationed in Ft. Knox currently, but I'm from SC. I visit there frequently...or used to. However traveling has even gotten too exspensive

I have seen a few of the Owens crates before and like them, I'm not sure if the one elitek9 is selling is from them or not, but it's at least similar. I would LOVE to have one like that. Everywhere I look, people are charging BIG money for them though. The Ruff Tough crates look nice, I will have to look into them. I prefer something metal, but with my price range it will limit me. I might just have to quit my bickering and save for a while...and just keep a vacuum cleaner in my truck...haha.

Thanks!

Matt
KotaRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have two of these and am happy with them - bought through an Owens dealer. Because they are welded they charge freight so you don't want them shipped directly to you. The folding aluminum box Elite sells (not Owens) is also pretty sturdy according to a friend who has one.

Owens Hunter Series | Single | No Storage | 55033 - $525.00 : 5D Ventures, Home of quality dog boxes & more...

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.