Indoor activities for a high drive dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Indoor activities for a high drive dog

I was looking for some advice on fun things to do with our dog indoors. She's a working line dog and when she doesn't have a "job" to do she gets a bit cranky. I feel like we've got a pretty good array of outdoor activities for her already. Outside she'll happily play fetch until she looks like she is going to drop dead, she loves to tug and she will also "such" for treats that we hide out in the yard. That along with 2-3 2 mile walks a day and hiking on the weekend seems to keep her pretty happy.

That said sometimes it's just too nasty to be outside for long (honestly she'd be perfectly happy throwing a ball in the middle of a tornado, it's us humans that don't want to be out there) and on those days where she doesn't have a good outlet she can be a bit of an annoyance. She will sit in front of us and paw at us and whine or frap around the furniture because she's bored. We don't really have room to play fetch in the house but we do hide treats around and have her scent them out and we play tug.

I've thought about pulling the cars out of the garage to give us some room to play but, I worry about the garage floor being too slick and her getting hurt. I tried the dog boots but they just roll over and don't work. We don't have a treadmill and don't have room for one. There aren't any good indoor play places near by either.

So as the oppressive heat and humidity of summer are closing in and there will likely be less time spent outside, do you guys have any ideas on other things we can do in the house to tire her out both physically and mentally?
hotrod2448 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

tracking and "find it" .
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
tracking and "find it" .
That's the same as "such", right?
hotrod2448 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

We play hide and seeks with ourselves. One of us will hide and call out "come find meeeeee". The hider will be hiding with a treat. It is so cute to see the dog checking out all of the past hiding spots (behind the doors, bathrooms, closets, etc). Make it easy at first until he gets the hang of it. Our dog loves it and it wears him out with all of that thinking and sniffing.

We also work on a lot of tricks indoors because it doesn't require a lot of room since the dog is right there beside you. Try weaves, tween (the dog comes from behind in between your legs and sits to look up at you), roll over, spin etc. This also builds engagement!
Tratkins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Go out and train in the early morning late evening. Swimming is also good (but they can overheat swimming)

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wrestle with mine. Use a busted up track suit(motorcycle) and go to town. A blanket to toss over them and roll around on the floor with them. It's awesome when the two work me at the same time, watching dogs cooperate is great. I get my butt kicked more often than not, my female is Malinois quick and my male is strong.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

scent detection! It tires my dog out better than throwing a ball or anything like that. Works their brains and their bodies!
blackshep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.