Don't Pet The Dang Dog!! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No, no and NO!

If more people would just mind their own business we could take our dogs to a lot more public places.

You can make two arguments against this "all dogs are inherently public property" meme that's taken hold.

1) you don't allow perfect strangers to walk up and start fondling your child out of the blue why should it be tolerated with dogs?

2) Dogs are property just like your car, wallet or purse, since when is it OK for a complete stranger to walk up grab your purse, wallet or just jump into your car?

Take your pick but either way this guy is 150% spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
interesting. but walk your dog in seclusion if you don't want folks interacting with your dog.
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's happened to me several times. On one occasion I watched as a couple walked by with their golden (who was heeling very nicely on leash btw) some people picnicking near by literally try to lure the dog with food to come to them. They stuck a container of food under the dogs nose.

Yup, that bad.

Now that Ilda is full grown I don't have that problem though, she's got the aloof GSD thing down pat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
LOL, never realized people would actually do that?? I'm guessing he has seen it happen a lot?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The other day I was walking a client dog what was extremely leash aggressive to dogs and has sent one to the vet before coming in for training. So we were still working on it although she was by that point almost completely over it when some dog walking a lady on a long leash pulled our way and the lady just let her do it and was going to just let them meet. Had to rush the dog off the side of the path to prevent a face to face but the dog didn't react so yay? Dog is trained.

Never struck her as odd I was walking a small dog on both a prong collar and an e collar despite the fact I'm an in shape 200 pound guy.

Less recent example was when Zebu was a puppy and was losing his mind barking at a stuffed animal dog at a Petsmart adoption table, weirdly enough ignoring the real dogs at the table, and some lady let her dog come up behind him and goose him when he was in that mind state. I didn't even see her coming. No fight happened but had he been older that easily could have been a bite.

Last edited by Baillif; 05-11-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

gwen, fist my dogs are not a child. i find mostly children are the ones who want to pet my dogs. a well trained dog will ignore people trying to "lure" the dog with food. petting my dog is not damaging to the dog.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Nobody has ever just walked up and pet my dogs. A couple of people have asked before petting them. I attribute this mostly to my body language. I don't want people approaching me when I'm training/walking my dogs and it may show. I'm also very aware of my surroundings when I'm out.

If anyone did just walk up and touch/pet my dogs without asking first they would hear a not very polite response from me, but I see people well before they get in distance to pet the dogs.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

this guy is as high as a kite...

WOW,
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The man addressed the "well trained" dog aspect in his video.

O.k. Then argument 2 fits for you.

He made valid points and I will not and do not accept that my dog is fundamentally public property.

It would be much better, for the well trained and not so well trained dogs if strangers would leave them alone, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
gwen, fist my dogs are not a child. i find mostly children are the ones who want to pet my dogs. a well trained dog will ignore people trying to "lure" the dog with food. petting my dog is not damaging to the dog.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

You have no idea how many times a day I want to yell this to everyone around me!! Lol. Thankfully my girl ignores it now.... But it still makes me so angry!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Guess it kinda depends on the dog, my guy is well trained and most, people I encounter grateful for that. No problems in public I get lots of compliments but few folks want to actually pet him!

I couldn't imagine someone trying to "lure" him away from me?? Live and learn.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Actually, talk with people who have working service dogs. Even when the dogs have vests on saying the 'please do not pet', 'working service dog' people try to interfere.

Hang out with some service dog owners, you'll hear a lot of examples of this problem.

It doesn't happen all the time when I'm out with mine but on several occasions I've had people whistle, make clicking sounds while patting their leg and last week while working (with my trainer) a guy drove by, slowed down, and started barking really loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Guess it kinda depends on the dog, my guy is well trained and most, people I encounter grateful for that. No problems in public I get lots of compliments but few folks want to actually pet him!

I couldn't imagine someone trying to "lure" him away from me?? Live and learn.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.