Bloody feet after very long walk? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bloody feet after very long walk?

I had some free time last Thursday, so I took Charlie for a 4.65k long walk. I am mostly free today so I took Charlie on a walk that was a little over 8k long. Previously his longest walk must have been no more than 5k, so today was his longest walk by far. I felt like he could take it and he did. I brought a bottle of water (I probably should have brought more?). It was about 20 degrees Celsius but it was really really windy so it felt much cooler. I stopped 5 time throughout the walk to give him a break or give him water. Surprisingly he didn't drink a whole lot. I didn't drink anything, so I guess that makes sense?

Anyways, I return home and I start noticing these little red specks appear all over the carpet. His back right paw was bleeding a tiny bit. I put some pressure on it with a paper towel and it was very minor. I couldn't see the cut but it must have scabbed up within 10 minutes of me finding it. I'm no expert, but my guess is that bleeding feet aren't normal after long walks. Did he just not have calluses on his feet?

I gave him lost of water with ice and he ate it all up. He then fell asleep and 20 minutes later I gave him a cup of food.

For future reference, what are the signs of heat exhaustion in dogs? How would you treat it if you're away from home? I'm going to start bringing more water and go back to shorter walks. I'm sure he had a great time though.
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-

Last edited by CharlieB.Barkin; 05-10-2014 at 03:18 PM.
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Never dealt with a dog exhibiting heat exhaustion however every fall if the pheasant season opener is a warmer than usual day....I read about many upland hunting dogs which get devastated by heat exhaustion....some die.....same thing every year if the temps are above normal in October for opener.

They give the same common sense advice every year this happens and it essentially is exactly what you did....watering the dog regularly, taking some rests and looking for classic symptoms...excessive salivation,vomiting, tongue and other areas in the mouth take a brighter than normal red appearance. If I recall properly, if the gums, lips etc start to turn a grayish color...you have real problems as the dog is nearing a critical point where action must be taken.

As far as a scuffed/abraded/cut pad from an 8K / 5 mile walk perhaps it's more of a cut as you describe it rather than his pads being worn from a distance of that length. Seems odd that an 8K would wear a dog's pad down to a bloodied state from that distance....assuming the surface the dog was walking on wasn't ridiculously abrasive. maybe Charlie simply just cut the rear pad on a sharp object along the way.

I have no idea how old Charlie is but I have heard many in here profess if it's a younger pup, long distance walk/runs might be something to avoid when they are still sprouting. And of course an natural/earthen surface is superior to a hard concrete/asphalt surface for long treks or runs. In the summer the asphalt can be a real problem when the sun has it heated up considerably...another common sense idea some folks might forget about about regarding their dog's pads.

Sounds like Charlie is fine and did have a blast....they're tough and no little cut in their paw is going to get in their way of being a dog...but always worth keeping an eye on and making sure it heals properly.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

One of my fosters who's pads are a bit on the softer side bled after I walked her too much over a series of days in the woods. She can take it, just that the pads needed more time to toughen up. If you check the paws, does it feel tough and rough and thick? If it has a white or less dark pad that is on the thinner side, the dog may just need to get toughen up more gradually. If you have a friend with a dog that's out and about a lot in the woods, maybe touch that dog's paws for reference.

Dogs that walks mostly on lawns or smooth surfaces may not have the thick callouses needed for the rougher trail walks.

My dogs' paws can take rough edges and things poking into the pads for long periods of time without a drop of blood because the callous is thick. I've even seen their pads splinter without blood and they still hike fine with just a bit discomfort.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
My dogs' paws can take rough edges and things poking into the pads for long periods of time without a drop of blood because the callous is thick. I've even seen their pads splinter without blood and they still hike fine with just a bit discomfort.
Adding my +1 to this - Eva had incredibly thick paw pads from the day I got her and the only injury I can tell she ever sustained with me, even on rough trails and backwoods for 3+ hours, trail runs, etc, was one pad splintering, no blood. I'm not even 100% sure when it happened because she never limped or favored it or anything! I felt horrible when I found/felt it

Just gradually increase your hiking/trail/backwoods walking to slowly toughen his pads and then enjoy your long walks!
Forever loved
lovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

most people work up to those type of hikes, not just put the leash on and go. there is a balm you can use to protect your dogs pads.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

4.65K walk? most people here don't deal with kilometers. its's about a half mile each. so about 2 miles. or 4 1/2 kilometers. 4.65, whats with the exact measurement?
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

i just took my dogs on a 1.43758 mile walk.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

My boys regularly do 4 miles on asphalt lined trails without issue. We do work up to that length each spring though and take breaks in shady areas as we do.
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I used Musher's Secret to protect pads from rough surface and or heat/cold.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
i just took my dogs on a 1.43758 mile walk.
How do you know it was 1.43758 miles? Your precision is astonishing !! Or is it one of those newfangled computer gizmos powered by microturbines that logs your walks ??

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.