German Shepherds Forum banner

Obsessive Behavior

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Ellimaybel 
#1 ·
I read a lot of threads on here and I can't help but wonder. Is all the "obsessive behavior" on here really so much the dog being obsessive or the owner obsessing over the dogs behavior? In cases where the dog isn't hurting himself, i.e. chewing him/herself raw is this behavior really so bad or do some owners overreact?

1. Tail chasing. We know that this could be bad if the dog starts to hurt themselves. However if the dog simply enjoys chasing it's tail, is it really so bad?

2. Licking. Ok, so the dog licks the floor. After ruling out medical issues, is it really such a huge deal?

3. Eating bad things. If what the dog is doing is causing them physical harm obviously it's an issue. Otherwise what is the hang up other than not wanting the dog to lick you?

4. Chasing light. Really? Does it shorten the dogs life if he/she enjoys chasing laser light, reflections, or an other light? No. At least not as far as I have seen proven.

Not trying to belittle anything serious but I have to wonder. Are the hang ups about our dogs supposed OB really about the dog? Or do we just have too much of a jaded perception of the world and so high expectations that we can't allow our dogs to just be dogs?

When did we start putting such high expectations on our dogs when we fail to meet societies expectations of us? Even if we don't fail, why should we ever expect our dogs to be held to such high standards?

Living vicariously through the dog? Being a worry wart? Or just wanting to bring out the best in the dog with absolutely no worries if they fail?

Just wondering where we fall in this. I for one have to admit that I feel like a failure sometimes and feel that if I can bring out the best in my dog it will make me feel like less of a failure.

I don't worry about supposed OB. I let him be a dog as he lets me be a human.

See less See more
#2 ·
Is OB obedience or obsessions?

4. Chasing light. Really? Does it shorten the dogs life if he/she enjoys chasing laser light, reflections, or an other light? No. At least not as far as I have seen proven.
Please explain what sources you are referring to as not proof?

You are asking about a spectrum of behavior that can range between a small, occasional issue, to a dog that has it's tail amputated, all the way to something that causes the dog to be put down when it can't be fixed and it is all they do all day, with all kinds of interventions used, and their quality of life is gone.

I think it's hard to discuss this without having some science involved, and a basic understanding of the physical piece that is behavior.

#3 ·
There was a lady here whose dog obsessed with light and it was a major problem that escalated into aggression. I have seen dogs who have destroyed their own tails. That sounds like a problem to me not just, oh well......

#4 ·
Actually I know a dog trainer who has a dog owner with a Border Collie in for training that they would play with the laser light with. She said the dog is now totally obsessed with trying to find the light, tries digging through the floor to the point that it has cause the paws to bleed, runs around looking for it everywhere. So I do think it can cause some significant behavioural issues, yes. I'm not sure it would happen for all dogs, but the ones who are really intelligent and have a tendency to get a bit neurotic, I think you do have to be careful.

My dog is totally ball obsessed. I have to be careful, because she got into a thing when she was younger where she would not go to the washroom outside unless she had her ball, and she can't always have her ball. It didn't bother me that she would go to the bathroom with her ball, but it did bother me that she was starting to think she couldn't go without it.

So no more ball when we go out to potty, only playtime.

Otherwise she's obsessed with playing with it all the time, won't go to sleep without it etc. It's like crack to her, she gets this glazed look in her eyes when she's chewing on her ball. I don't mind that so much, but I definitely have to make some clear rules about when and where she can play with them.

#6 ·
My dog was very into the lazer pointer, he still is, but I would tell him no when he kept looking for it and he stopped. I don't think he was really OBSESSED though. It was more like he just wanted to keep playing like when he keeps bringing me me the ball or the rope after I got tired. He has crazy energy lol.

#7 ·
I mentioned before about a friend who had a rockin' tracking dog. He became obsessed with gophers. They allowed the behavior in the beginning (when he wasn't on a track) as they thought it was a great release for him. Sadly, it ruined him. Totally.

#8 ·
I let him be a dog as he lets me be a human.

Wonderful conclusion....and I wholeheartedly agree with your premise regarding who might be displaying the OB behavior. Of course my opinion is based on the rule not the exceptions....I assume you might feel the same, since some dogs certainly can exhibit OB.

Too many humans view what's "best" for their dogs through the "human eye" rather than attempting to try their best to see it through a "dog's eye". My guess is, this is where the difficulty and confusion begins. I would also wager that the majority of dog behavior coined as OB by the owner either is short-lived or a miscalculation by the owner as they fail to understand the impetus which creates such behavior deemed as OB.

There might be an argument to support that much of the behavior we train or "expect" our dogs to adhere to, is more suspect of being OB....instilled by the human, knowingly or unknowingly.

Yes, there are those who have dogs which definitely exhibit OB but they would be in the minority.

I am more of the school that a dog's psyche reflects much of the owner's spirit and of course there are those mutually beneficially times where the human learns from the dog.

And I get to come full circle and conclude with the eye-opening words you ended your post with......" I let him be a dog as he lets me be a human."

SuperG

#9 ·
Wonderful conclusion....and I wholeheartedly agree with your premise regarding who might be displaying the OB behavior. Of course my opinion is based on the rule not the exceptions....I assume you might feel the same, since some dogs certainly can exhibit OB.

Too many humans view what's "best" for their dogs through the "human eye" rather than attempting to try their best to see it through a "dog's eye". My guess is, this is where the difficulty and confusion begins. I would also wager that the majority of dog behavior coined as OB by the owner either is short-lived or a miscalculation by the owner as they fail to understand the impetus which creates such behavior deemed as OB.

There might be an argument to support that much of the behavior we train or "expect" our dogs to adhere to, is more suspect of being OB....instilled by the human, knowingly or unknowingly.

Yes, there are those who have dogs which definitely exhibit OB but they would be in the minority.

I am more of the school that a dog's psyche reflects much of the owner's spirit and of course there are those mutually beneficially times where the human learns from the dog.

And I get to come full circle and conclude with the eye-opening words you ended your post with......" I let him be a dog as he lets me be a human."

SuperG
Thank you for understanding what I was getting at. I don't think that everyone read the whole post as much as they skimmed it. Otherwise they would have seen where I posted "Not trying to belittle anything serious but I have to wonder." Or some ignored it. I was not saying these issues can't be a big deal but that maybe often times they aren't as big of a deal as people think. I'm referring to the large number of threads filled with "obsessive behavior" because an owner panics and jumps straight from a dog chasing it's tail to omg the dog is going to die! Personally I believe that some obsessive behavior is partially on some owners. Not all, some.

#10 ·
Yes, I can see that, if I stand over my dogs being anxious or stressing over what they're doing I know they pick up on that. It's why I stopped fussing over how picky Eko is, I was so worried about him not eating and hovering over him trying things to get him to eat, that I made him to upset to eat. He still isn't thrilled when I come near him as he eats, I have to ignore him completely.

#14 ·
go on youtube and watch some of the dogs with ocd on there
it is sad and yes it destroys their lives
dogs are dumped routinely at shelters because of ocd behaviors
until have you experienced it i doubt you will believe it but perhaps looking at youtube vids will help you understand

there is a huge difference between ocd and regular play btw
but gsds and other highly intelligent and drivey dogs such as border collies and even some breeds of hunting dogs are prone to ocds

#16 ·
The laser pointer does seem to build up a frenzy to find it that can escalate into obsession. I've never used one with my dogs simply because I imagine it sucks to chase something around and then it just vanishes into thin air. Maybe the lack of gratification builds frustration and eventual issues.

#17 ·
I agree that people tend to over react and obsess about their dogs. However, true OCD behaviours in dogs is absolutely devastating and are definitely a real concern. Have you ever seen a dog that MUST eat every pebble, twig, piece of garbage in sight. Not a puppy picking things up, but the dog feels it is a true, desperate need. Or rescued a dog that has become obsessed with lights because some idiot thought a laser pointer was funny. The dog becomes obsessed to the point where they cannot function in normal society. What if the dog doesn't just chase the light, but comes back at the source? And the laser light is transferred to any light, so then you have a dog that obsessively attacks cameras, cell phones, flash lights etc... Trust me, it is not fun and is definitely not the owner reading too much into the dog. The dog is not happy losing its mind every time a light is around.

#18 ·
" Or rescued a dog that has become obsessed with lights because some idiot thought a laser pointer was funny. The dog becomes obsessed to the point where they cannot function in normal society."

Which agrees with my premise that some of this OCD behavior is instilled by the owner ....knowingly or unknowingly.

SuperG

#19 ·
ocd can arise by certain things like playing with a laser toy
but if i understand it, the point of this thread it is that there is no such thing as ocd but that the owner is putting it on the dog?
and that is not really the case
some dogs and cats can play with laser toys and not develop ocd
you just do not know which dogs are prone to it and which are not

#20 ·
The point of the thread was to ponder and question the difference between the two. I am aware that some behavior is real and can escalate. But not all ;)

#21 ·
Yes, I agree with Ellimaybel....and furthermore reinforces the notion that humans need to evaluate the situation at hand and not rush to judgment deeming "human created" OCD behavior an innate characteristic of the particular dog.

As I recall, a sagacious member of this forum stated as a solution to a situation somewhat related to this as ..." quit worrying about what can't be changed and concentrate on what can be changed"....my loose interpretation of his words. And in this case...putting the emphasis on "what can be changed".

SuperG

#22 ·
Well, I hope that if anyone is concerned about their dog's behaviour, they won't feel judged about asking for help and guidance.

I'd rather tell someone that the little bit of tail chasing their puppy is doing is normal puppy stuff and to just redirect the pup and not dwell on it, then have someone come on the board distraught about their pup needing to go on medication and have their tail amputed, because they were afraid about being judged by others as being a worrier if asking questions when the behaviour first started.

#24 ·
Well, I hope that if anyone is concerned about their dog's behaviour, they won't feel judged about asking for help and guidance.

I'd rather tell someone that the little bit of tail chasing their puppy is doing is normal puppy stuff and to just redirect the pup and not dwell on it, then have someone come on the board distraught about their pup needing to go on medication and have their tail amputed, because they were afraid about being judged by others as being a worrier if asking questions when the behaviour first started.
I hope that doesn't happen as well. The intention was simply to create thought, not fear of judgment from others. I'm not very judgmental personally since I always keep in mind that we are mostly strangers here and don't actually know each other or our dogs.

Unfortunately there is always someone who passes judgment on almost every post seeking help. I have noticed that in some cases the OP gets upset and mouths back, but in a lot of cases we just ignore it and take it with a grain of salt.

#23 ·
I would completely agree that a lot of ocd behaviour are instilled by the owner. Whether it started and the owners did not realize and re direct it (shadow chasing or licking) or created it and let it get out of hand (laser pointers). Under exercised dogs, under socialized dogs, a million other ways people ruin their dogs that create frustration/boredom and the dogs create a behaviour to cope that becomes an obsession. However, I do not agree that severe ocd behaviours are just 'dogs being dogs' and the dogs should be left to do as they wish. I guess that is the point in the op that I have an issue with. A dog that chases its tail to the point of it being an obsession and gets in the way of the dogs normal life and is causing damage to the dog, that dog needs help.
Most severe ocd behaviours I have seen have been with rescues or high energy dogs with the wrong owners. Yes, someone created/allowed the behaviour to develop but the dogs need intervention. When all a dog can do all day is look for shadows to pounce on I don't believe that is a very happy dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.