German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   How Long to Crate Train? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/447817-how-long-crate-train.html)

scarfish 05-08-2014 08:47 AM

How Long to Crate Train?

sorry if this has been asked before. i did an advanced search for threads only with the words "crate train long" and got no results.

how long does everyone crate train for? the trainer we use says 2 years. even when fully potty trained and no chance of tearing anything up. his reasoning is they will become dominant if not in the crate and there's a chance of the dogs attacking you in your sleep. i dunno, sounds silly to us. wife and i go against his advice and just keep the dogs loose in the bedroom with the door closed when we sleep. 1 is 1.5 years and the other is 4.5 months. we have never had a problem. we kept the little one in the crate at night 'till we were sure he was fully potty trained.

we still use the crate for time outs and that's it. so just curious what everyone else does.

LaRen616 05-08-2014 08:59 AM

Sinister ~ He was crated at night from 11 weeks old up until 6 months old. He was crated during the day when no one was home until he turned 2 years old.

Draco ~ He has never been crated at night, he slept in my bed from 11 weeks old up until 6 months old and then he started sleeping on a dog bed on the floor. He is crated during the day and he can be a lunatic so I don't know if he will ever be able to be crate free during the day. :wild:

LaRen616 05-08-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5490049)
the trainer we use says 2 years. even when fully potty trained and no chance of tearing anything up. his reasoning is they will become dominant if not in the crate and there's a chance of the dogs attacking you in your sleep. i dunno, sounds silly to us. wife and i go against his advice and just keep the dogs loose in the bedroom with the door closed when we sleep.

What the?

Get a new trainer, that man is crazy and has no idea what he is talking about!

scarfish 05-08-2014 09:30 AM

thanks bro! i just wanted to make sure we're not somehow abusing the dogs by not keeping them crated every night 'till they were 2 years old.

LaRen616 05-08-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5490321)
thanks bro! i just wanted to make sure we're not somehow abusing the dogs by not keeping them crated every night 'till they were 2 years old.

You're welcome bro?

scarfish 05-08-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5490409)
You're welcome bro?

what's with the question mark?

huntergreen 05-08-2014 09:48 AM

if done correctly, the crate becomes a refuge. when there was too much activity, kyra would just go to her crate and chill. door wasn't latched ever since she was about 14 months.

Baillif 05-08-2014 09:48 AM

I'd keep the crate training behavior fresh for the life of the dog. If your dog eventually proves he can go without it go for it. In any case though keep the crate behavior intact in case of injury or need to travel etc.

Lilie 05-08-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5490049)
how long does everyone crate train for? the trainer we use says 2 years. even when fully potty trained and no chance of tearing anything up. his reasoning is they will become dominant if not in the crate and there's a chance of the dogs attacking you in your sleep.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on this forum. Well....maybe one of the top ten.

The idea would be to make sure your dog is comfortable being kenneled. You may not ever have the need to kennel your dog again after it's trust worthy in your home.

However, there could be hospital (vet) stays, or emergencies that would require your dog to be crated. You want to make sure that your dog isn't stressed any more than it has to be.

scarfish 05-08-2014 10:08 AM

good points made. our dogs will always be comfortable being kenneled. they go with my wife to her job everyday at a doggy day camp. they are kenneled for an hour at noon to eat lunch and take a nap to avoid bloat. we just didn't see a reason to keep them crated at night when they have both proven themselves to be trusted.