Is there any other breed like a GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Is there any other breed like a GSD?

I'm not keen on the phylogenetic of K9s...

All I know is that there are northern breeds like huskies and malamutes and Eskimo dogs and maybe Akitas (?) which are similar in temperament; only because I've got a husky...

I know (I think?) that labs and goldens are similar in temperament...

Is there any other breed that is similar in temperament to a GSD?

Or is this question kind of irrelevant because GSDs come in so many different temperaments? Furthermore, this question may be irrelevant because maybe all breeds have a standard temperament that isn't matched by another breed?

Maybe when I mean temperament, I mean the standard.

The one thing I guess I want to know, is if there are other breeds that have the guarding/alerting behavior? My husky (again, I think) and most northern breeds don't have this trait.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
The one thing I guess I want to know, is if there are other breeds that have the guarding/alerting behavior? My husky (again, I think) and most northern breeds don't have this trait.
My Dalmatian is the first to growl and the first to bark, he is always on alert. The Dalmatian is a guarding breed.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Top of my head I would say Dobbies? Rotties would seem reasonable but I know many of Rotties so I'd say no. Boxers are working dog but ...uh no!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Top of my head I would say Dobbies? Rotties would seem reasonable but I know many of Rotties so I'd say no. Boxers are working dog but ...uh no!
I agree with Dobermans. They are always on alert, they make excellent guard dogs, IMO they are better than GSDs when it comes to guarding their property.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I agree with Dobermans. They are always on alert, they make excellent guard dogs, IMO they are better than GSDs when it comes to guarding their property.
Yup!!! You're right about dobbies and rotties being high alert guard dogs. I can't handle their slobber though. And the ones I know are even more anxious and cooky than Zeeva. IMO they also require a bit harsher hand than a GSD (not that I'm looking to get another dog)...So their nothing like a GSD in other aspects. Right...?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Yup!!! You're right about dobbies and rotties being high alert guard dogs. I can't handle their slobber though. And the ones I know are even more anxious and cooky than Zeeva. IMO they also require a bit harsher hand than a GSD (not that I'm looking to get another dog)...So their nothing like a GSD in other aspects. Right...?
My cousin's Rottweiler was absolutely disgusting, ICK! Drool everywhere, farted all the time, messy, stinky dog. BLECK!

I think the GSD is the best breed in the world but that is pretty much based off of my GSD. He is a terrific dog and everything I ever wanted so I think that is the best breed but Dalmatians are my 2nd favorite and Dobermans are my 3rd favorite. I would like to get a female Doberman in the future.

IMO all 3 are very intelligent breeds, they all require a good amount of exercise although Dobies and Dals often require more exercise than a GSD, they were all bred for the purpose of guarding whether it was sheep, horses, stage coaches, equipment or people. They all have a strong bonding instinct with their people, all 3 are velco breeds that need to be wherever you are and all 3 are powerful breeds.

When my friend and I get our dogs together it is the perfect pack, 2 Dobermans, a GSD and a Dalmatian. They are great together.

Last edited by LaRen616; 05-07-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

imho, dobie are closest, but there is no other breed like the gsd. akita, although a great looking dog are not close to a gsd.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Believe it or not my oldest golden is the one to do the alerting. My youngest golden has the same play style as the GSD's, because that is what he learned as a puppy. As far as loyalist and stamina I would go with the Rotts , dobes , and pits.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not typical, but our last lab was very GSD like. Aloof, guarding, not soft mouthed in the slightest, great with kids, confident etc... She took care of "business" a few times too, cornering a thief in our garage and grabbing hold of peeping tom by the coat. She had a muscular blocky build, but she was not as athletic as my gsds, nor as smart either.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have heard that Beaucerons are very GSD-like. Pretty too, but not as much as our GSDs!

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.