German Shepherds Forum banner

Is there any other breed like a GSD?

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Harry and Lola 
#1 ·
I'm not keen on the phylogenetic of K9s...

All I know is that there are northern breeds like huskies and malamutes and Eskimo dogs and maybe Akitas (?) which are similar in temperament; only because I've got a husky...

I know (I think?) that labs and goldens are similar in temperament...

Is there any other breed that is similar in temperament to a GSD?

Or is this question kind of irrelevant because GSDs come in so many different temperaments? Furthermore, this question may be irrelevant because maybe all breeds have a standard temperament that isn't matched by another breed?

Maybe when I mean temperament, I mean the standard.

The one thing I guess I want to know, is if there are other breeds that have the guarding/alerting behavior? My husky (again, I think) and most northern breeds don't have this trait.

#2 ·
The one thing I guess I want to know, is if there are other breeds that have the guarding/alerting behavior? My husky (again, I think) and most northern breeds don't have this trait.
My Dalmatian is the first to growl and the first to bark, he is always on alert. The Dalmatian is a guarding breed.

#8 ·
Believe it or not my oldest golden is the one to do the alerting. My youngest golden has the same play style as the GSD's, because that is what he learned as a puppy. As far as loyalist and stamina I would go with the Rotts , dobes , and pits.

#9 ·
Not typical, but our last lab was very GSD like. Aloof, guarding, not soft mouthed in the slightest, great with kids, confident etc... She took care of "business" a few times too, cornering a thief in our garage and grabbing hold of peeping tom by the coat. She had a muscular blocky build, but she was not as athletic as my gsds, nor as smart either.

#11 ·
Corgis, they are mini GSDs, I swear. Fearless, fighters, loyal, super smart, super spunky, they are the Robin to my GSD Batman (avatar) plus they are just adorable. I'm a little partial though. :) I'll always have one of each.

Attachments

#12 ·
My toy poodle actually is a better guarder/alerter than my GSD. He doesn't know that he isn't scary. In my opinion, each GSD is going to be a little different.

#14 ·
Look at what the dogs were originally bred for:

Northern breeds are bred to work together in a pack pulling sleds, not as guard dogs.

Hounds, are bred to hunt small game, alone or in packs.

Retrievers and bird dogs are trained to hunt birds, on water and on land -- not to guard.

Working dogs, herding dogs, both will be breeds that have some suspicion, guarding, protection. Corgis, various shepherds and collies, cattle dogs, Rottweilers.

By looking at what the dogs were originally bred for, you can match those traits with what you are looking for. Then you just have to figure on how much the popularity of the breed has changed the breed.

#18 ·
Look at what the dogs were originally bred for:

Working dogs, herding dogs, both will be breeds that have some suspicion, guarding, protection. Corgis, various shepherds and collies, cattle dogs, Rottweilers.

By looking at what the dogs were originally bred for, you can match those traits with what you are looking for. Then you just have to figure on how much the popularity of the breed has changed the breed.
I was thinking the same thing. I have had Australian Shepherds and Border Collies that had the guarding/alerting personality. I would say that the Aussies were closer to the GSD. The BC was much more instense. She was always on duty - day and night. My kids were very safe from any stranger with her around.

#16 ·
I can't speak up for all dobermans, but can compare the personality of this one to the shepherd's that I have owned.

This Doberman does share many qualities to my Shepherd. Both dogs train very easily, and in my opinion are comparable in this aspect. The doberman is more jumpy, possibly a little more aware, while the German Shepherd I found is more calm and laid back. Allot of people say German Shepherds are velcro dogs. After now having three of them, all of mine have liked being around me, but would still give me 5 -15 feet. It seemed that where ever I would be in the house, they were happy as long as they could see me. The doberman is a true velcro dog, as it is not happy just seeing you, it wants to be so close that its actually touching you most the time.

Both dogs give off the aura of intelligence, and are about the same in there desire to please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.