Dirt, dogs and toddlers/babies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Dirt, dogs and toddlers/babies

For those of you with kids, especially toddlers and babies, do you worry about the cr@p that ends up in, on and around your mini human because of the pups?

My dogs bring in dirt, leaves, grass, most likely poo and other random stuff that gets caught in their fur and paws. Their hair gets meshed in the carpet--everywhere. And since babies and toddlers spend so much time on the floor...isn't it unhealthy?

I'm all for building a strong immune system for a baby through the exposure to various cr@p.

But how dirty is dangerous for a baby/toddler?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Our kids are farm kids so they are never clean. Our city friends are horrified by what our kids get up to in terms of dirt......I am feeding 25 orphaned lambs at the moment and my 2 year old loves to help......Ive caught him sucking on the teats a couple times......oh well......
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
Our kids are farm kids so they are never clean. Our city friends are horrified by what our kids get up to in terms of dirt......I am feeding 25 orphaned lambs at the moment and my 2 year old loves to help......Ive caught him sucking on the teats a couple times......oh well......

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post

I should be more worried about what the kid tracks in. The dogs are investigating something outside, I go look, her no way!

You designate a kid area, keep it clean... You need a way to separate them anyways, taking the kid or the dogs to pee with you every single time - which after a baby is about 3x more than before you had a baby gets old, really quick.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

IMO, kids are too darn clean - in bubbles. A antibiotic for everything - a waste.

Get out there - eat some dirt -swallow a few bugs - your immune system will thank you
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was raised with the saying "you're supposed to eat a peck of dirt before you die"

It doesn't mean I don't do my best to keep my dogs and my environment clean, but there's only so far you can go without becoming OCD

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well my guy is 11 in July and hes been around mud, dogs and cats and he survived. A couple in my home town had their child removed from the home because of cleanliness they had alot of unfixed cats that sprayed everywere. Bad scene I worked with her, CAS would not give him back until they removed all the garbage from the home and cleaned. I am for a strong immune system too. My SO tells me a hilarious story all the time about jackson. .he was toddling up the street once, stopped and stuck his tongue in a mud puddle because he was thirsty.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here's an old English saying:

"We will all eat a peck of dirt before we die."
That was what our grandparents' generation used to say; a phrase which can be taken metaphorically to mean everyone will suffer some indignities and setbacks in their lifetime, but which is usually interpreted literally as meaning "Don't make a fuss about the bit of soil on your potatoes or the caterpillar on your lettuce - they're harmless." Recent studies have suggested that our modern obsessions with cleanliness and our determination not to eat a peck of dirt (or any dirt at all, come to that) could, in fact, be having a detrimental effect on our general health and immunity to disease. Exposure to bacteria and viral organisms is critical to the development of a mature immune system. By constantly cleaning and sterilising our environment, we don't give our defence mechanisms a chance to grow.

My husband's son has developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. He is OCD about being clean and washing his hands. He was told by his doctor that one of the causes of this was his weak immune system, that he did not develop strong immunity because he was not exposed enough to everyday pathogens.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

ziva, i am sure you keep your home clean, so no there is no issue with having your dogs and a mini human on the floor. now if you ant to be extra careful, use some wipes on the dogs paws before they come back in. the truth is, there is more bacteria, germs, in our mouth than on a dogs paw.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I guess I don't worry much about that. My son is now 23 and was raised around dogs and cats and all that entails. Heck, I've had pets all my life (as many and as many varieties as possible .. as long as they weren't reptiles or rodents) and I am rarely ever sick .. as in once a year I might get sick. Even now, while my husband and son are ewwing over my pup's slobbering on them occasionally (he has loose lips 'sigh'), I just wipe it off and keep going. I think people have gotten so phobic these days .. hand sanitizer anyone? ... that they are creating some super germs!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.