German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Dirt, dogs and toddlers/babies (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/447290-dirt-dogs-toddlers-babies.html)

Zeeva 05-07-2014 02:46 AM

Dirt, dogs and toddlers/babies

For those of you with kids, especially toddlers and babies, do you worry about the cr@p that ends up in, on and around your mini human because of the pups?

My dogs bring in dirt, leaves, grass, most likely poo and other random stuff that gets caught in their fur and paws. Their hair gets meshed in the carpet--everywhere. And since babies and toddlers spend so much time on the floor...isn't it unhealthy?

I'm all for building a strong immune system for a baby through the exposure to various cr@p.

But how dirty is dangerous for a baby/toddler?

sparra 05-07-2014 04:40 AM

Our kids are farm kids so they are never clean. Our city friends are horrified by what our kids get up to in terms of dirt......I am feeding 25 orphaned lambs at the moment and my 2 year old loves to help......Ive caught him sucking on the teats a couple times......oh well...... ;)

Ellimaybel 05-07-2014 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparra (Post 5483562)
Our kids are farm kids so they are never clean. Our city friends are horrified by what our kids get up to in terms of dirt......I am feeding 25 orphaned lambs at the moment and my 2 year old loves to help......Ive caught him sucking on the teats a couple times......oh well...... ;)

:spittingcoffee:

ozzymama 05-07-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparra (Post 5483562)

:thumbup:

I should be more worried about what the kid tracks in. The dogs are investigating something outside, I go look, her no way!

You designate a kid area, keep it clean... You need a way to separate them anyways, taking the kid or the dogs to pee with you every single time - which after a baby is about 3x more than before you had a baby gets old, really quick.

Courtney 05-07-2014 09:16 AM

IMO, kids are too darn clean - in bubbles. A antibiotic for everything - a waste.

Get out there - eat some dirt -swallow a few bugs - your immune system will thank you:cool:

Shade 05-07-2014 09:44 AM

I was raised with the saying "you're supposed to eat a peck of dirt before you die" ;)

It doesn't mean I don't do my best to keep my dogs and my environment clean, but there's only so far you can go without becoming OCD

misslesleedavis1 05-07-2014 10:25 AM

Well my guy is 11 in July and hes been around mud, dogs and cats and he survived. A couple in my home town had their child removed from the home because of cleanliness they had alot of unfixed cats that sprayed everywere. Bad scene :( I worked with her, CAS would not give him back until they removed all the garbage from the home and cleaned. I am for a strong immune system too. My SO tells me a hilarious story all the time about jackson. .he was toddling up the street once, stopped and stuck his tongue in a mud puddle because he was thirsty.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Gretchen 05-07-2014 10:58 AM

Here's an old English saying:

"We will all eat a peck of dirt before we die."
That was what our grandparents' generation used to say; a phrase which can be taken metaphorically to mean everyone will suffer some indignities and setbacks in their lifetime, but which is usually interpreted literally as meaning "Don't make a fuss about the bit of soil on your potatoes or the caterpillar on your lettuce - they're harmless." Recent studies have suggested that our modern obsessions with cleanliness and our determination not to eat a peck of dirt (or any dirt at all, come to that) could, in fact, be having a detrimental effect on our general health and immunity to disease. Exposure to bacteria and viral organisms is critical to the development of a mature immune system. By constantly cleaning and sterilising our environment, we don't give our defence mechanisms a chance to grow.

My husband's son has developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. He is OCD about being clean and washing his hands. He was told by his doctor that one of the causes of this was his weak immune system, that he did not develop strong immunity because he was not exposed enough to everyday pathogens.

huntergreen 05-07-2014 12:17 PM

ziva, i am sure you keep your home clean, so no there is no issue with having your dogs and a mini human on the floor. now if you ant to be extra careful, use some wipes on the dogs paws before they come back in. the truth is, there is more bacteria, germs, in our mouth than on a dogs paw.

Galathiel 05-07-2014 02:06 PM

I guess I don't worry much about that. My son is now 23 and was raised around dogs and cats and all that entails. Heck, I've had pets all my life (as many and as many varieties as possible .. as long as they weren't reptiles or rodents) and I am rarely ever sick .. as in once a year I might get sick. Even now, while my husband and son are ewwing over my pup's slobbering on them occasionally (he has loose lips 'sigh'), I just wipe it off and keep going. I think people have gotten so phobic these days .. hand sanitizer anyone? ... that they are creating some super germs!