Best way to ask to walk someone's dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Best way to ask to walk someone's dog

Hello, one of my favorite hobby is to walk other people's dogs. So made business cards to obtain more dogs to walk and hopefully some strong and big ones. I hand out the cards to people letting them know I can walk their dogs. Some peoples dogs i can walk whenever i want. Need to have more of that. I think if more people experience me walking their dogs in one peace like most of the time I can get more "walking dogs whenever I want".

Today I was at the dog park met a gorgeous import Germany German shepherd West lines. We were playing for 1/2-45 minutes! He is so awesome I asked the owner politely if we can get to know each other more. He asked for a card, unfortunately I forgot mine and the ones at the bulletin board were out. The last one at the bulletin board I gave it to somebody else with another GS who I see once in a while. Instead, I asked for a number exchange which he said, "I rather not". I am really eager to walk and get to know more of this cool long hair GS. We had a really wild fun time playing. How can I convince more people to walk or exchange numbers in a way that would be comfortable? I did my best, but went a little too fast. Somethings never change...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Also on constant searches for new dogs doesn't have to be a GS. Although, looking for new permanent german shepherds!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

With how common dog theft is today, I would be very, very put off by someone asking to walk my dog. They offered to take your card to be polite. I don't really think there is any way someone could approach me about walking my dogs that would make me feel comfortable. Let the people who need and want dog walkers come to you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
LoveEcho is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 01:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
With how common dog theft is today, I would be very, very put off by someone asking to walk my dog. They offered to take your card to be polite. I don't really think there is any way someone could approach me about walking my dogs that would make me feel comfortable. Let the people who need and want dog walkers come to you.

I agree. Dog theft is a serious problem now and unless I know you really well and trust you 120%, it's just not going to happen unless you're a legit business with positive referrals and insured and bonded. I used to walk and play with the neighbors dog(s) as a kid but dog theft wasn't a problem and the owners knew my parents really well. Mind you, I'm 27 so I'm not as old and that last sentence made me sound, but still.

Those who do allow you to walk their dogs currently, why don't you ask them if they'd be willing to write letters of recommendation for you to keep on hand. Also, tip, never forget to carry business cards with you. If I had been in his position, I'd have said no as well because it's a little fishy.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post

I would never steal dogs.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
I agree. Dog theft is a serious problem now and unless I know you really well and trust you 120%, it's just not going to happen unless you're a legit business with positive referrals and insured and bonded. I used to walk and play with the neighbors dog(s) as a kid but dog theft wasn't a problem and the owners knew my parents really well. Mind you, I'm 27 so I'm not as old and that last sentence made me sound, but still.

Those who do allow you to walk their dogs currently, why don't you ask them if they'd be willing to write letters of recommendation for you to keep on hand. Also, tip, never forget to carry business cards with you. If I had been in his position, I'd have said no as well because it's a little fishy.
I have a lot of positive referrals who really trust mr with their dogs. Hence, we go on hikes just me and the dogs independently.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

You can come walk Fama, but you have to sign a waiver

If you really want to do this professionally, you have to approach it like a business. Form a LLC, insured, bonded with referrals. You should build a customer base that respects your abilities and professional nature. Word of mouth will grow your business if you are doing it right.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobobear44 View Post
I would never steal dogs.
Nobody is saying you would. The comment was just pointing out that strangers don't know that. Remember, responsible pet owners are protective of their pets, same as you would be. Try and get established with a few local vets, volunteering and such. Once local professionals see you acting responsibly, they may refer you to clients of theirs.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would say walk neighborhoods and listen for constantly barking dogs ask friends if they know dogs that bark, bark, bark all the time! Those are going to be people that "don't "walk there dogs! They might not give a crap either but maybe they would!

For me, my guys aren't going anywhere without me.
Chip18 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellimaybel View Post
Nobody is saying you would. The comment was just pointing out that strangers don't know that. Remember, responsible pet owners are protective of their pets, same as you would be. Try and get established with a few local vets, volunteering and such. Once local professionals see you acting responsibly, they may refer you to clients of theirs.

:thumbsup: that's EXACTLY what I was saying. Strangers don't know you, don't know that you wouldn't steal dogs. A person (anyone, not just you) coming up to me and asking to walk my dogs would raise red flags, simply because that's today's climate.... Especially if I was already somewhere actively doing something with my dogs. People who NEED dog walkers will ask vets, etc- so work on building a rapport with the people who could pass your name along

LoveEcho is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.