German Shepherds Forum banner

Are Stairs Bad for a GSD?

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tauntingbull 
#1 ·
I understand that running the dogs up and down the stairs is bad for them at a young age, but is going up stairs bad for a dogs' hips or any other parts of them? This is more at 6mo+ of age.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
While your pup will still be growing and his hips are still strengthening, typical use of stairs, like just climbing up and down to go outside, is perfectly fine. You should maintain leash control and keep your pup from bounding up and down the stairs, a controlled descent and climb will protect their hips.

#3 ·
Awesome! When they're fully developed is using the stairs consistently a concern? The reason why I ask is because I live in a 4 floor house, and would like to have the dog near me when I sleep, and I live on the top floor.

As a puppy I plan on putting it in a box and carrying it upstairs, but as it gets older and too heavy to do that, I may leave it downstairs until it's fully grown. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the reply!

#4 ·
Just keep this in mind, excessive impacts on joints will only increase risk. This doesn't guarantee any problems and complete abstinence won't completely guarantee no problems. As long as you maintain the slow easy use of stairs, you reduce risks.

The fully grown dog is less vulnerable to an extent, naturally old dogs have their own problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.