German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Dog smell! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/446754-dog-smell.html)

Kiitsu 05-06-2014 12:54 AM

Dog smell!

So, I live at home with my mom still and I always stay in my room to do class work and such, with my door closed. I usually have Thor with me, and even though I keep him clean, he still makes my room always smell like dog. And because he is in here with me so much, it kinda lingers. Lol. Any ideas on helping keep this smell out? :P

KZoppa 05-06-2014 01:23 AM

open a window? let the air circulate. febreeze. odoban.

what does the dog eat? diet can play a bit part in that doggie smell. Especially lingering doggie smells.

Kiitsu 05-06-2014 02:35 AM

Window has been working decently well so far! But its starting to linger more and more.
I currently have him eating Wilderness, switching him to Merrick's grain free soon. I have been under the impression low quality foods cause smell rather than high quality, is that true?

Pax8 05-06-2014 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiitsu (Post 5477770)
Window has been working decently well so far! But its starting to linger more and more.
I currently have him eating Wilderness, switching him to Merrick's grain free soon. I have been under the impression low quality foods cause smell rather than high quality, is that true?

Normally, though from what I have been told, Wilderness is sort of notorious for causing some strong doggy odor :p

Galathiel 05-06-2014 10:41 AM

I would think it might be more what he's lying on than the dog itself sometimes. Does he have a bed? Do you have carpeting? Those things can soak up odors and over time they do eventually multiply (bacteria). You might want to work on any soft surfaces in the room he's in contact with .. or .. get a Scentsy! ;)

Sunflowers 05-06-2014 01:07 PM

What are you feeding?

HarleyTheGSD 05-06-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galathiel (Post 5478809)
I would think it might be more what he's lying on than the dog itself sometimes. Does he have a bed? Do you have carpeting? Those things can soak up odors and over time they do eventually multiply (bacteria). You might want to work on any soft surfaces in the room he's in contact with .. or .. get a Scentsy! ;)

I agree.
A bath may also help for a little while, after you clean the dog smell out of everything.

Sunflowers 05-06-2014 02:18 PM

Never mind, I didn't see your second post.

KZoppa 05-06-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiitsu (Post 5477770)

yes. Bear in mind though that some foods are too rich which can play tricks on the dogs scent as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galathiel (Post 5478809)

agree. I'm constantly washing the dogs bedding and making sure to add odoban to the wash. I usually run it through the washer a few times, once with vinegar and again with some odoban poured in. I also try to clean the carpets and rugs 1-2 times a month where the dogs spend a lot of their time laying.

scarfish 05-06-2014 03:29 PM

beating the dog usually helps.