German Shepherds Forum banner

If you kennel your dog when you travel. . .

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  petite 
#1 ·
We've had our adopted-from-the-military dog for a year now -- he's three -- and we've used the local kennel which is small and family-owned and run. Clientele seem extremely loyal to the owner. She does both daycare and overnight and the yards are set up in a way that a few dogs can hang out together during the day, but they get their own run at night.

Even though the kennel seems fine, leaving my dog is so hard for me. . . it's almost ruining my trips. We've left him twice before, but only overnight. This time we're leaving for four nights which I know sounds like nothing, but it's tearing me up.

My dog comes from the military where he was semi-ignored (low work drive) and had never been in a house -- part of me is afraid he thinks we're abandoning him. I take his blanket, his bowl, his ball and a huge bone.

I try to remind myself that my two boys love to go places and do things -- and we're going as a family. But it's so hard to leave my dog at the kennel and my kitty at home. (Kitty gets a pet sitter and a teen to come in and cuddle.)

If you successfully leave your dog -- how do you do it? What do you tell yourself to make it more pleasant for yourself?

Alley

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never enjoyed leaving my dogs over the years....for vacation or whatever.

The first few times we tried the "Hound hotel" gigs....they all sucked...when we returned it was easy to see our pooch was stressed out. Then we became lucky and found this lady who lived close and took care of the dog pretty much one on one...When we would come back after leaving her with this lady, it was like our dog never missed a beat...happy of course to see us and all but none of this other behavior like previous.

This lady also would send texts and pics to my wife at least 2-4 times a day showing our girl enjoying herself. It's a nice touch.

You mentioned leaving him overnight twice before and he did fine, so I'm betting he will do the same.

I believe you will know how all went regardless of any human reports....your dog will let you know.

SuperG

#4 ·
I have a friend well known to my dogs who comes over and stays at my house with them when I'm away. We've worked out a daily stipend to cover her inconvenience. They get to stay in their normal environment with all their toys, chewies, and other comforts of home. They really seem to enjoy it better than going to doggy day care.

Is there any reason the person taking care of your cat can't also take care of your dog?

#5 ·
Your sable looks just like my GSD!

I could leave him at home with the cat -- but he just turned three and he's very active and rambunctious. Our cat sitter -- who is very devoted -- has implied that it would be mean to leave him in the house w/ just her visits.

We don't have a yard that we can leave him in, but she'd visit three or four times and take him out to play ball. Plus we're worried that if he's left alone at night. . . who knows what he'll get into.

I just feel like it's safer for him to be at the kennel. But, yes, he and the cat are friends and it's sad that they can't be together.

I'm a sad sack.

Alley

#6 ·
I recently found a doggy hotel near me that has a pool, indoor and outdoor play areas, suites with doggy day beds they stay in, and the best part? If you leave your pet there they give you a code to go to their webcam site and check in on your pet whenever you want. I also feel better knowing one of the ladies from my vet works there as well. If you do some research you might find a place like this around you.

#7 ·
We are lucky that the Boarding Facility we use is in the Country and on a Hobby Farm. A Couple runs it and has 2 other employees as well. There is a huge outdoor fenced in run as well as a large indoor play area. Every day around noon, after they get their mid day snack they get a half hour of quiet time in their crate. There is always at least one employee with the Dogs during the day and the owners live on-site so there is always someone checking in regularly on the overnight boarders. I bring Jake every two weeks for day care and we board him overnight when we are away. We are lucky to have such a great facility that is only 15 minutes from home.

#8 ·
If you left him overnight before and he was fine, then I'm sure he'll weather the four days like a champ. If in general he does not suffer from separation anxiety, and he is a solid, confident dog with good nerve, the four days won't traumatize him. He's been there before, he is familiar with the place, and he knows the staff. He'll come through it just fine. Be careful not to project your own feeling and emotions onto him - or if you must, project the thought that he is going to doggy camp and will get to make new friends and have new experiences. :)

#9 ·
I feel the same way, even leaving my dogs with my parents I think about them more than I probably should on vacation. It makes me want to go home early. I hope to take advantage of dog friendly hotels once my pup is older.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.