Advice needed: Want an apartment, I have SA dog who barks, not sure what to do! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Exclamation Advice needed: Want an apartment, I have SA dog who barks, not sure what to do!

So as most of you know Zelda still has SA, although it has been less barking, little to no howling, is whining there is still enough to create problems. And she has to be in a crate still, if i leave her loose in my room which i do for small periods of time once in a while, she scratches at me door and the carpet to my room where it meets the hallway (with no carpet) she intentionally or unintentionally pulls up. It goes from Zelda having good weeks and Zelda have no so great of weeks.

I did not start on her prozac because my newest vet (whom i really enjoy for the most part!) wanted to try different things. So i been going along with what he says for now, because i do believe these things will work.

But this great apartment opportunity has come up.. I would LOVE to move out, and i have a job that pays a bit better than my last two, and think this would be a wonderful apartment (its half of a big house, but two complete separate places its 2 bedroom, 2 floor) And we know the people that own the apartments, its only 1200 a month including everything , which is a fantastic price in Vermont!

However, because of Zelda's SA i haven't been able to move out to some apartment opportunities even if i had the money, because i know that she would bark and carry on when i'm away at work. And most places you would probably be able to hear her if your apartment were next to the one Zelda were in..

Any ideas what i should do? I rent a room at my parents and help out, and it works. It's just not ideal for Zelda or me and i would love to move out. My family's schedule mostly works so that Zelda does not bother the family, although sometimes it works that my family has to put up with her barking although most of them say it doesn't bother them anymore- i still feel horrible.

It kills me that she still has SA, i feel so bad for her.. I just hope those herbals start working, it just takes months and months before they really start helping her little brain.. Just like with prozac, but i then would love to start prozac so it starts to work..

I got a collar to tell me how many barks she does in a day and to do it over a period of time to see if there are particular times she barks and or particular days, unfortunately i couldn't get the software to work. But that would have been interesting.

And trust me i've tried A LOT of things with this girl for her SA!

I'm torn! Because i want to move out and there is a great opportunity of this place, but Zelda's SA could create problems right away as i know the couple who have kids live right next to that apartment, and i know i would livid if my neighbors dog were barking and it woke up my kids from there afternoon nap..

(And of course i do NOT plan on getting rid of her because of her SA- just so you all know thats not an option!)

Thanks guys!
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just put my pit on Prozac. She is overly sensitive and OCD--light chasing. She started pooping on the floor at night--probably due to fear. Since I've had her on Prozac--minimal dose- she has only pooped once and that was when there was company. I imagine that she went to jump on the couch and found it occupied--Scary!

It worked very quickly and I can see that it gives her relief. She now jumps up on the bed in the a.m. for belly rubs and cuddles with a big pit grin and a waggy tail. Before she was tentative and would just crawl under the covers and curl into a tight ball as close to me as possible.

Try the Prozac for Zelda and see if it eases her enough to work on behavior modification for the S.A.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

what herbals is she on?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe something in here will prove helpful

Ziva's Separation Anxiety Saga - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

And maybe "Who Pets my Puppy or dog" here:

New Dog, Very Challenging

Never dealt with SA myself but the first question that comes to mind, is if you move and she barks, barks, barks...what happens next??
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehmannwa View Post
I just put my pit on Prozac. She is overly sensitive and OCD--light chasing. She started pooping on the floor at night--probably due to fear. Since I've had her on Prozac--minimal dose- she has only pooped once and that was when there was company. I imagine that she went to jump on the couch and found it occupied--Scary!

It worked very quickly and I can see that it gives her relief. She now jumps up on the bed in the a.m. for belly rubs and cuddles with a big pit grin and a waggy tail. Before she was tentative and would just crawl under the covers and curl into a tight ball as close to me as possible.

Try the Prozac for Zelda and see if it eases her enough to work on behavior modification for the S.A.
Aw gotta love the pitty smiles!
You said minimal dose, what dose did you start out as?
I do have the prozac bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
what herbals is she on?
She was on Settle the Yang which helps settle the mind and reduces anxiety (Chai Hu Jia Long Ga Mu Li Tang) and to help with her over Qi Yi Guan Jian which we just started instead of two others we were using. She had a weaker, deeper, wiry pulse. because of her liver Qi stagnation it could cause more irritability therefore in general anxiety could occur? Before i had this vet i also tried composure for months- not so much..
Old 04-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Maybe something in here will prove helpful

Ziva's Separation Anxiety Saga - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

And maybe "Who Pets my Puppy or dog" here:

New Dog, Very Challenging

Never dealt with SA myself but the first question that comes to mind, is if you move and she barks, barks, barks...what happens next??
Well sweet, thanks for the links i've read some of the 2nd link. Haven't followed the whole time.

Well i was mostly planning on waiting to move out till i can get a place out in the country, where her barking does not affect anyone but the animals in the forest! LOL But on a more serious note, i was hoping by the time a great opportunity arose she would be less anxious and therefor her barking, when left alone, would be a lot more minimal.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Temps is on 20 mg a day. I give it to her in the eve. I've also seen Prozac work for SA when I was a trainer. The thing that I find interesting is that I can really see a difference in Temps and I'm not finding poop in the morning. Tempest doesn't know that she is on an SSRI so it's not just a placebo efffect.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

As an apartment-dweller (ugghhhhh), I would worry about getting a notice evicting me or my dog. Most leases contain verbiage to the effect of, "If your dog bothers your neighbors, we can evict the dog / you and the dog." I know you said you know the folks who own the place, but they are not going to want to lose business / tenants, ya know? If her SA worsens or returns (if you correct it prior to moving, pharmaceutically or behaviorally) after you move and you are served an eviction notice, will you be able to move back in with your parents?
Forever loved
lovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.