German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   GSD people = serious people? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/442297-gsd-people-serious-people.html)

Zeeva 04-24-2014 05:11 AM

GSD people = serious people?

Do you think this breed attracts a specific type of human personality? If yes, how would you describe the average GSD lovers personality to be?

I think GSD people = serious people. Serious in the sense of training. Also, serious in the sense of not really having fun or joking around. I think that GSDs are also serious dogs...or do you have a goofy one?

For example, on my husky forum, people make fun of each other. They joke around. They have husky camps all over the US and UK. They're pretty lax about training and I think this is all because the breed attracts this type of personality. I'm sure most people know that huskies are notorious for being stubborn, independent, difficult to train, not exactly loyal, goofy etc etc...

Are there other breeds that attract a specific type of human personality? Or are these observations seemingly too general? Or maybe it's just the nature of the way different forums are managed?

Vagus 04-24-2014 05:32 AM

Honestly, looking at the forum, I'd probably have assumed that GSD people were serious. Some people just can't take a joke and get their backs up about the tiniest things (insisting that someone is trying to take a dig at them, make unnecessary snarky comments etc. makes me think of them as nervy GSDs :D)

Outside of this forum though, in the 'real world' I haven't noticed GSD people to be especially serious. Although I think every GSD owner I've met has been proud, and rather confident which I think is a great thing.

My own GSD is the goofiest dog I've ever met, so it's hard to be serious when you share a house with him.

Have I noticed any correlations with breed vs owner personality type? Hmm.. Golden retriever people are always really friendly!

In all fairness though, I'm guessing you'd find all kinds of people owning all sorts of breeds :)

Harry and Lola 04-24-2014 07:46 AM

I suppose GSD people can come across as serious because of thier full commitment to training.

I know a few GSD owners and some are serious with no personalities, others are very funny, almost odd!

llombardo 04-24-2014 08:00 AM

When I first got Robyn and went to the GSD club with her I noticed the seriousness there and I didn't like it. I never went back. I'm not a serious person. I joke around, smile , and make friends easily. To be fair I do own golden retrievers too...,

Kaasuti 04-24-2014 08:04 AM

Lol!. I'm serious when it comes to training but i'm one of the most childish people you'd ever meet and my dog can be just as goofy as me.

lennyb 04-24-2014 08:42 AM

I might be serious about training but that's it. Me and my family love to joke and goof around rather at work, home, where ever. Life's to short to be serious all the time. You gotta enjoy it while you can. Plus people who are serious all the time just look miserable to me.

Nigel 04-24-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vagus (Post 5422945)
Honestly, looking at the forum, I'd probably have assumed that GSD people were serious. Some people just can't take a joke and get their backs up about the tiniest things (insisting that someone is trying to take a dig at them, make unnecessary snarky comments etc. makes me think of them as nervy GSDs :D)

Outside of this forum though, in the 'real world' I haven't noticed GSD people to be especially serious. Although I think every GSD owner I've met has been proud, and rather confident which I think is a great thing.

My own GSD is the goofiest dog I've ever met, so it's hard to be serious when you share a house with him.

Have I noticed any correlations with breed vs owner personality type? Hmm.. Golden retriever people are always really friendly!

In all fairness though, I'm guessing you'd find all kinds of people owning all sorts of breeds :)

:thumbup: this sums it up pretty well.

misslesleedavis1 04-24-2014 09:16 AM

Lol no. We are not serious at all. My house is full of idiots that love to laugh and have fun. You cant be very serious when you live here.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sunflowers 04-24-2014 09:26 AM

179 Attachment(s)
I do believe the breed does attract type A personalities.

misslesleedavis1 04-24-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5423345)
I do believe the breed does attract type A personalities.

Thats so true. Thinking about the club around here, it was all hummer trucks and militant dogs. Which is awesome but I can totally see them all being type A's.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App