How do you keep your dog(s) and your home clean? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default How do you keep your dog(s) and your home clean?

My dogs bring in dirt, leaves, grass (just about anything that catches their fur and paws) and shed dander and fur EVERYWHERE (I can especially see it falling off of them when they shake their body or after I vacuum because I have to empty the vacuum in between sometimes since it gets full).

I've gotten use to it (for the most part). But it does irritate me sometimes. I wish I could have a 'clean' home and 'clean' dogs but these two wishes just seem so impossible. I think the reason it bothers me from time to time is because when I get family or friends over; they just don't understand why I've got dogs when they make such a filthy mess...and it really makes me feel like a disappointment to the fam bam...Was especially thinking about this because I've got family staying over for a couple nights and am irritated by the amount of cleaning I've to do. I can't ditch the family, ya know?

Professional grooming is a great option for the pups and the home, I know. But it gets expensive for us.

How do you keep your dog(s) and your home clean (tips/tricks)?

Are you use to the dirt/mess that the pups cause or does it bother you from time to time?

Do you have family/friends that look at your lifestyle with your dogs and think 'ewwww'? How do you cope with what they think?

Do you consider dogs dirty?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

First, I am still learning and trying not to be a perfectionist. But I don't want it messy all the time, so this is how I've adapted. I bought a Dyson Animal vacuum cleaner, its fantastic, I also have a carpet cleaner, when I paint I buy the more expensive kind that is easy to clean and won't come off with repeated wipings, and for my sofa I bought two couch covers that are soft and easy to clean in the washing machine. They are from the SureFit company and I buy them in white so I can see the dirt and clean when necessary usually 2x week also my living room is dark so it brightens the room.

As for the relatives, they seldom come over anymore. We've basically told them, the dog lives here not you, this is our pets home, they give us great joy. If I were planning a large event at our place, then of course things would be close to perfect and maybe even the dog put away, but for people randomly stopping by, they come in at their own risk.

Lastly, I forgot to add, when there are large messes/accidents/mud from rain, I don't get angry at my pets I remain calm and change my attitude that this is an opportunity for me to do some more cleaning and make things fresh. This really helped when Molly was a puppy.

Last edited by Gretchen; 04-23-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I spend a lot of time cleaning after the dogs daily and it is never enough time... I just keep reminding myself that a dirty home with dogs is better than a clean home without dogs. It does get to me time to time. Like... again! I've to wash this already AGAIN?!
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
I spend a lot of time cleaning after the dogs daily and it is never enough time... I just keep reminding myself that a dirty home with dogs is better than a clean home without dogs. It does get to me time to time. Like... again! I've to wash this already AGAIN?!
I love your attitude!
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Covers for the furniture, hardwood floors and tile. It's never truly clean but at least it's easy to make it *appear* clean when we have guests!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I vacuum and sweep about 2-3 times a week. Which considering what I've seen on this forum is on the low end. Brushing him once a day or every other day has helped cut down on what gets stuck on the rugs which is nice. We have hardwood and rugs in our main areas that he lays on. Toys aren't spread around willie nillie, I give him one or two at a time and when he's done I put them away.

The water dish area is my only down fall considering he makes a mess every time he drinks it's a pain to constantly wipe up. We have a big rug right in front of our french doors that lead into the backyard so muddy paws get wiped off there. I'm lucky though my dad owns his own carpet cleaning business so I never have to worry about that at least haha.

My mom is constantly horrified by the dog fur but I just tell don't come over if it bugs you, I live here not you. My sister has two cats, a rabbit and a russian blue tortoise so she's used to messes from animals. Never have I met such a messy animal before I met her rabbit. He has his own room in the house that is all his and yes he is litter trained but that doesn't mean he poos in there haha. The baseboards and door frames in a couple rooms in her house are all chewed up from when she had two rabbits and they'd chew on them.

I just try for a daily routine where I can wake up do the dishes, straighten the house, vacuum/sweep, do errands and come home and make dinner. It keeps the house from getting overwhelming if I tackle little things every day.
AngelaA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've always had this breed, the house I grew up in might have been furry sometimes but never dirty. Mom had a system and I just sorta adopted it. The dogs didn't come in the front door. The back door at Mom's house had a concrete porch with indoor outdoor carpet that we'd wash off with a hose a couple times a year.

I have a bluestone patio off my back door. It wasn't there when I bought the house and the dogs tracked in a lot of mud until it was there.

When they're dirty and wet, I'm sorry but go to the basement until they're dry. It's not a dingy basement, the floor has padding and there's carpet. My kids like it just fine too.

Fur is fur. This time of the year, I pick up the tumbleweeds as they blow by collecting more fur as they go. I vacuum once a week. Most of my carpets are black and tan and patterned. Hides the fur.

Mom had royal blue sculpted carpet, had like a gray swirl in it. Which sorta absorbed the fur from black sable dog we had when it was put in. 20 years later it still wasn't worn out but there was fur imbedded in it, no getting that out even with an electrolux. The people who bought the house were thrilled to find hardwood floors in perfect condition under it LOL

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I put 2 hours of housework in everyday. I have 3 kids to clean up after on top of 3 dogs. My entire basement is dedicated to the dogs, its got carpet and crates lol it get vacd every day and bedding for them gets done weekly. I also sanitize their crates with vinegar...im a little ocd about my house and what conditions my dogs sleep/live in.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ummmmmm.... I got married .......

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

lol. constant effort.
never ends,but it sure is worth it.
pineconeforestGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.