Puppy German Shepherd got hurt badly in boarding school. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy German Shepherd got hurt badly in boarding school.

I'm sorry I haven't introduce myself but I have found GSDs.com containing amazing information on our dogs. Just never had time to activate the account. This is some what big ordeal to me and I would like to jump to this subject real quick.

Yuna has been a very good pup since I brought her home when she was 6 weeks old. When she was 10 months old I took her into K9 university in OKC for boarding school which is the puppy obedient 2 weeks straight as they recommended. She is now 1 years old.

The 2nd time I took her was cause I had a business trip for a week long and had my girlfriend bring Yuna for a retraining boarding. Yuna arrived Wednesday and Friday I received a call about Yuna nose being scratched. They said they would take care of it by the vet and she didn't need stitches. I said ok, small scratch no big deal.

I arrived home Sunday and picked her up this Monday afternoon and saw her. She was jumping and pulling the collar very badly with the trainer telling her down. Yuna just didn't obey what so ever, she just wanted to reach me. No big deal, I saw her nose and I couldn't express my feelings at the moment. The trainer said she didn't know what exactly happen and can't confirm. She said its possible that the crate might have be it. Nothing was confirm, so I paid and left. I couldn't believe what have happen to her nose and I didn't say nothing but wanted to get some thoughts before I say anything.

So after all my thoughts have been gathered.

1.) What exactly are the employees doing besides watching the dogs and I believe there was no way the crate will be that unsafe.

2.) The top part of snout was not bit by another dog. Gum is fine and else where.

3.) Can Yuna possibly injury herself that badly, it would take a very hard hit against a sharp object to cause this kind of damage.

4.) No confirmation on what cause the injury. I asked if she was by her self, with her trainer, employee or in side her crate? No answers atm.

5.) Paying such expensive rates for boarding school, you think would be a safe environment for our dogs.

Someone tell me what I should do. This injury will be a scar and I paid top dollar for her training and I swear she didn't learn much. I have personally train her myself already.
Attached Thumbnails
Puppy German Shepherd got hurt badly in boarding school.-photo-1.jpg   Puppy German Shepherd got hurt badly in boarding school.-photo-3.jpg   Puppy German Shepherd got hurt badly in boarding school.-photo-4.jpg   Puppy German Shepherd got hurt badly in boarding school.-photo-2.jpg   Puppy German Shepherd got hurt badly in boarding school.-photo-5.jpg  

Puppy German Shepherd got hurt badly in boarding school.-photo.jpg  

Last edited by atstevenha; 04-23-2014 at 03:20 AM.
atstevenha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Just the angle and deepness of the cut it does not look like the crate could have done that. I and my parents have used a large variety of crates in our lives and none of them have wires that have loose ends on the inside of the crate. I would visit without the pup and ask to see the types of crates the dogs are kept in. You should be able to tell if there is anything that could have caused it in the crate. I don't want to make assumptions or jump to conclusions so that's the first step I would take. I just really don't understand how that could have happened and no one has any idea how or when. Please let us know what you find out and keep the pup safe from infection by following up with your vet.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, this would be my first step is to check out the crate that she was in. I can't find any reason where she would be so injuried, dealing with the scar is another situation. Poor little pup, my girlfriend tries to jump into conclusions already but Ill handle it from here.

Sorry about my grammar on the first post. I didn't proof read at all, I was sick last night and had to write something fast.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My guess is a dog fight. Looks like a puncture and scratches

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Dog Bite

My guess is a dog bite. That's particularly so as there are multiple injuries nearer the tip of her nose in addition to the most obvious injury on the flank of the nose.

LF
Longfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sadly, it isn't impossible that the injury came from a crate. Animals can get hurt in the strangest ways, sometimes with no apparent explaination. I had a horse once that required stitches to it's face. The vet said the injury looked like it was from a blow to the head. It was in a pasture, alone with no trees. So unless something fell from the sky......

It does look like a bite from another dog. When my dogs play rough, they'll grab eachothers lips. My Lacy currently has a bald spot on his lip from too rough of a bite from my GSD. The wound was a fraction of what your dog currently has.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

That was my reaction to the pics, a dog bite. No way a crate could cause something like that. it's a gouge. I'd be very mad.
Nikitta is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree that it looks a bite, but a close second could be her own due claw. The response to seeing you implies some separation anxiety which can lead to strange behavior when they are alone. If those due claws are sharp she could have pawed her nose until it got nasty like that. In other situations I've seen dogs chew their feet until they bleed and scratch other body parts until they bleed.

Sorry for the situation you are in. But 2 weeks away from you at that age is brutal on a dog. Especially if they are stuck in a concrete and chain link kenel for 23 hours a day.
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

looks like a puncture wound to me. if it was from another dog, it could have happened in lest than a second so the handler may have been very reactive to prevent further injury. i would also examine the crate. either way sounds like the place did what they should have.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It does make sense now and it probably fast but the dogs must have been very aggressive and growling before that happens. I think its preventable and they should had look after the dogs better. I will be speaking to the owner and make sure this doesn't happen with other dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.