German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Why would someone make a thread about a dog that isn't theirs? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/441377-why-would-someone-make-thread-about-dog-isnt-theirs.html)

SummerGSDLover 04-22-2014 03:07 AM

Why would someone make a thread about a dog that isn't theirs?

I've noticed a few threads in the past couple of weeks where people are either asking questions about pedigrees or telling stories/sharing experiences with other people's dogs and then asking questions about the dog's behavior. Why would someone do this? Why does that dog's pedigree matter to them if they have no vested interest in the dog? Just curious. I have a lot of people that I know with dogs but have never discussed anyone's dogs except my own. Just wondering because I don't get it. I personally, would be a little perturbed if someone were discussing my dog with a group of people and I didn't give them permission. How do you feel about this?

Sri 04-22-2014 04:19 AM

I think it is most probably breeders or people interested in the bettering of the breed and well versed in pedigrees and genetic lines to avoid. They are more than just the average owner. Also it is a neutral state of mind enquiry, comparable to a scientific study, perhaps?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Courtney 04-22-2014 09:04 AM

There are a lot of members who study pedigrees -perhaps breeder, trainer or just a fancier. It's interesting to them to connect a pedigree to a dog for various reasons -behavior, health, working ability, etc.

A pedigree tells a story:)

carmspack 04-22-2014 09:45 AM

I always ask for a pedigree .

Here is the link to the pedigree data base German Shepherd Dog

where you can enter a dog's name and you can research a pedigree 5 , 7 generations back.

Public information .

Pedigree is similar to ingredients in a recipe .

SunCzarina 04-22-2014 07:36 PM

To learn.

Bob_McBob 04-22-2014 08:32 PM

Personally I would feel positive if my dog had a good enough pedigree to be discussed by strangers. What's the big deal? It's an important aspect of breeding.

SummerGSDLover 04-22-2014 08:51 PM

I don't know. Nevermind.

*-*Summer*-*

huntergreen 04-23-2014 01:58 PM

maybe they admired the dog they are inquiring about.

LaRen616 04-23-2014 02:12 PM

To learn about a specific behavior and get input from others?

I have had friends that have dogs with issues and they have asked me to ask the people from the "dog forums" I belong to for advice.

Freestep 04-24-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 5412073)
Why does that dog's pedigree matter to them if they have no vested interest in the dog?

Because sometimes they DO have a vested interest in the dog, if the dog appears in a pedigree for a puppy they are seeking, or they are looking for experiences/opinions on a prospective breeding partner, or they want to gain knowledge about their own dog, if the dog in question appears in its pedigree.

There are some dogs that are "famous", or widely used for breeding, so that they are common to many pedigrees. Knowing what a particular dog is like, you can make inferences about how he will affect a pedigree, and that helps inform you about the breed.

Knowledge is power!