When will he calm down around other dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default When will he calm down around other dogs?

Gunnar is 18 months old now. Well behaved, well socialized in most situations. He will heel off leash in public, run by my side for miles off leash, down and stay in distracting situations, etc.....BUT he won't quiet down either verbally or physically when there are other dogs around.

Example: nice easy ride in the car, he's looking out the window or laying down in the back until we get close to a dog park, then he slowly winds up and by the time I'm parking the car he's whining and squeaking and barking and jumping all over the in the back. When I take him out of the car, he's straining against the leash like he's got no manners at all.

Example: standing on the sideline of my daughters soccer game. He will lay at my feet or sniff around a bit, but if there is another dog on the sideline he will whine, bark, pull on the leash, and get himself all worked up.

He's always been like this, since he was a puppy at puppy training class. He'd bark for the whole 2 hour class as a 12 week old. As an older pup he was a bit better. But certainly not the calm quiet dog that he is at home depot or at home.

Is there an age when this behavior calms down? Is there a training technique that I can use to inhibit the barking/whining/pulling on leash (as a combo behavior as I've been fairly successful in inhibiting any single behavior in other circumstances.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

HOW did you socialize him to other dogs .

Addressing this shortly , adding more to, on rethinking "popular" early socialization

over excited . No more dog parks or other dog play . He needs to be re-focused and mature .

There was a similar concern with a dog that was in SAR training that had to be washed out (temporarily?) because the dog lost all focus to go play with other dogs .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

If he's 18 months old and still doing this, I don't think he will grow out of it. Have you tried re-directing his attention, maybe to a tug, or whatever it is he likes?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

imho, that is a trait that will never change.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Redirecting has not been effective. His favorite toys at home are ignored after 1-2 uses when in the presence of other dogs. Raw meat, tasty treats, praise, etc. are worthless as well. The only time he will calm down with another dog is after about 3-4 hours of them being together. Then I become exciting to him again.

Perhaps he will never be calm around other dogs, which is fine, but I just want to have the appropriate expectation for his behavior. I appreciate that he thinks for himself, it's what allows him to guard the property well on his own and problem solve without my input.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
Redirecting has not been effective. His favorite toys at home are ignored after 1-2 uses when in the presence of other dogs. Raw meat, tasty treats, praise, etc. are worthless as well. The only time he will calm down with another dog is after about 3-4 hours of them being together. Then I become exciting to him again.

Perhaps he will never be calm around other dogs, which is fine, but I just want to have the appropriate expectation for his behavior. I appreciate that he thinks for himself, it's what allows him to guard the property well on his own and problem solve without my input.
Sometimes bribing won't work. Sometimes you have to poke, prod or tap a dog to break his focus and then..."move along dog nothing to see here".

New Dog, Very Challenging

A link in post 8 should be helpful. But it sounds like you have a particular problem that you have allowed your dog to practice, And your making a justification for his "bad behaviour?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
I appreciate that he thinks for himself, it's what allows him to guard the property well on his own and problem solve without my input.
My dogs as can numerous others guard property and problem solve "without" annoying PIA behaviour. I flat would not tolerate that kind of crap and they know it! Your dog has trained you to accept his behaviour!

Sounds like you got stuck on this problem? No harm in seeking out a professional for help if it's required.

You have to "outthink" your dog.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

That's a fair assessment. My breeder has also been my trainer and they have suggested letting him grow up and out of it more.

True that I do tolerate it to a degree, but prior to that I tried many training techniques to break the habit. I won't go into all of them here and start a debate on my methods as some here disagree with some of my philosophy on that.

The bottom line is that I introduced him to situations that triggered this when he was young, and created the issue. Or he was born with it and it was going to manifest eventually no matter what. Either way I hear some of you say he won't change. Others say I can retrain him. Based on treats and toys to redirect not being effective what ate some other training techniques or quelling eh whining and barking at other dogs?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

My trainer has me work through it (actually in the process of it right now) if she is screaming I calmly lift her off her feet with her prong collar and slowly lower her, we work through it and she is NOT allowed to play, it's all OB, I do notice a quicker recovery time (to her becoming quiet) each time we practice.

Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz&Anna View Post
My trainer has me work through it (actually in the process of it right now) if she is screaming I calmly lift her off her feet with her prong collar and slowly lower her, we work through it and she is NOT allowed to play, it's all OB, I do notice a quicker recovery time (to her becoming quiet) each time we practice.

Just lifting the front end of the dog, or the whole dog? I don't think I can lift this guy by his leash, but I can apply the prongs if that is a reasonable strategy.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We had a dog in class that would bark her head off when she saw the other dogs. It took approx 5 months but she could actually stand 4 or 5 feet next to another dog without barking. Which was good enough for her owner. Keep training to ignore other dogs. I believe training can help.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.