German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   German shepherds the same? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/440481-german-shepherds-same.html)

Lobobear44 04-19-2014 11:48 PM

German shepherds the same?
 
In your perspective what are your opinions/views on German shepherds. This regards their personality, aloof, friendliness, with people and other dogs. My cousin finds German shepherds to all be the same in character/personality. Seem to all be serious, similar issues, similar aloofness, similar calmness, similar friendliness, similar temperament with dogs and people, etc. Although, For German shepherd owners do you notice this at all? Never came to mind much to me after my cousin's own observation/view. However, seen one German shepherd more playful, friendliness, less aloof, unique personality that is outgoing. More than others that are similar. siberian huskies, labs, goldens, other breeds individually seem to be a different personality. Don't get me wrong always wanted a German shepherd. Only thing is I'm nervous is their aloofness.

NormanF 04-19-2014 11:55 PM

GSDs are cat-like dogs. They tend to be reserved and mine is not a velcro dog although she does like affection. That distance of theirs doesn't make them an ideal dog for someone who wants the constant company of a dog. While a GSD may be reserved, they more than make up for it in boundless loyalty and devotion to their owner.

Lobobear44 04-20-2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormanF (Post 5402361)
GSDs are cat-like dogs. They tend to be reserved and mine is not a velcro dog although she does like affection. That distance of theirs doesn't make them an ideal dog for someone who wants the constant company of a dog. While a GSD may be reserved, they more than make up for it in boundless loyalty and devotion to their owner.

German shepherds seem to be a velcro to their owners. That applies to my aunt's dog and someone's last dog that I knew. Also goes for another I also know who don't leave their side at all. Also another GS too. These German shepherds are by their owners 24/7 with sight in viewed. Only to that person only. German shepherds are a one person or can be right? For one of these he can be gone for a certain amount of time goes nuts and don't want to leave 2x a week in a row from their owners. Seperation anxiety could be a trigger. On the other hand my Labradoodle and other dogs don't seem to be less reserve-like than GSDs. When it comes to well known guests/friends. Never have family members come to visit us though. When I'm with German shepherds without their owners presence or even other dogs they can be loyal. Constant companion for the day. However, seems more likely for German shepherds to be a constant company if you are single in a household. Although, I have dreams having German shepherds spending a lot of time with them.

Gabby117 04-20-2014 09:39 PM

I really don't think you can group German Shepherds like this. Own one or let one own you, bring it up the way you would like it to be. This breed is said to be a breed that is most eager to please and if you spend the time with them you will get huge rewards. Find a breeder that is breeding dogs with the temperament that you are looking for. My dog walks down the 16th street mall in downtown Denver and hikes in canyons and loves every minute of it and all the people too.:D
PS: I wouldn't walk into the house without one of us she is getting protective of the home.

misslesleedavis1 04-20-2014 10:05 PM

Everything is different

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Liesje 04-20-2014 10:12 PM

Why does aloofness make you nervous? GSDs are supposed to be aloof, and among the ones I know/have met that were bred well (bred by good breeders using dogs with good temperaments), they do tend to be aloof. That doesn't mean overly suspicious. Think of it more in terms of being "neutral". My 5 year old male is a good example. If he doesn't know you, you basically do not exist to him. You can call to him, talk sweet to him, pet him, and he won't care but he may never acknowledge your existence and if I walk away, he will follow me. If you KNOW him, he will be happy to see you, lick your face, and want to interact with you but if you are a stranger it's like he can't even see you. He has no desire to interact with you.

SunCzarina 04-20-2014 10:17 PM

I've had 8 of them. Each different to their own, although Baron, Luther and now Otto are very similar in their outgoing, take charge, I own the world attitudes and their undying drive for the ball.

Morgan was the Ice Queen of North Edgewood.

Rex didn't give a crap what anyone thought of him and he was brilliant.

Opposed to Gideon was a beautiful moron.

Prince didn't like anyone outside of his family.

Venus lives up to her name, although she doesn't have much love for dogs who dare to bark at the goddess. She's very much like Morgan in her ways, maybe it's a bitch thing or she's possessed by Morgan sometimes. I wouldn't put it past Morgan...

All different. Yet some very breed specific.

Lobobear44 04-21-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 5406233)
Why does aloofness make you nervous? GSDs are supposed to be aloof, and among the ones I know/have met that were bred well (bred by good breeders using dogs with good temperaments), they do tend to be aloof. That doesn't mean overly suspicious. Think of it more in terms of being "neutral". My 5 year old male is a good example. If he doesn't know you, you basically do not exist to him. You can call to him, talk sweet to him, pet him, and he won't care but he may never acknowledge your existence and if I walk away, he will follow me. If you KNOW him, he will be happy to see you, lick your face, and want to interact with you but if you are a stranger it's like he can't even see you. He has no desire to interact with you.

Cause he might be more focused on someone else in the household than me. Although I do spend a lot of times with GSDs and make great friends...

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 04-21-2014 11:28 AM

The aloofness comes from the fact they were bred to work in partnership with their human handler so they needed to be neutral w/ other people and dogs so they could work. All of mine have been super affectionate w/ me w/ the others no. they greet but then go off. My SIl was helping us walk the dogs last summer and all three would just stare at me when she leashed them up. They walked but didnt object to a short walk. I like that they are their families dog. If you are a the GSDs person or persons you are very lucky.

Sarah~ 04-21-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobobear44 (Post 5408025)
Cause he might be more focused on someone else in the household than me. Although I do spend a lot of times with GSDs and make great friends...

Pretty much any dog I've had was pretty well attached to whoever fed, trained, and spent time with them. Sometimes they have a special connection with someone else but even then they usually bond pretty well with their caretakers, I wouldn't worry. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2