German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Gunny the rescue. Input in appreciated. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/440441-gunny-rescue-input-appreciated.html)

muldoon24 04-19-2014 10:51 PM

Gunny the rescue. Input in appreciated.

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, yesterday I rescued a year old GSD from IN. He's very sweet and great with my cats. He doesnt really know how to act like a dog though. He flinches whenever I make a sudden movement and isnt to sure of himself in any situation, hes especially cautious around men. We went to the dog beach today at belmont harbor and he kinda got in puppy mode and was splashing around and swimming, although when a dog was trying to play (roughly) he got very defensive. I grew up with 2 gsd's as a kid and teenager but we got them as puppies and molding them into the dogs we wanted (a therapy dog and a PSA dog.) Im new to a rescue dog, but he was about to get euthanized and he was to sweet to let that happen. Any input on how to get the most out of him or any tips would be appreciated. Im willing to put any time I need into him, he isnt going anywhere, hes my dog now. thanks.

gsdsar 04-19-2014 11:00 PM

Slow down. He does not know you yet. He does not trust you yet. Build the bond before you put him in new circumstances. Start training, go to classes, don't go to places with lots of unknowns. Make sure that you and he have a good solid relationship before going anywhere crazy. Introduce him slowly to dogs that you know and trust and to people that you know and trust.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

muldoon24 04-19-2014 11:12 PM

When we got the beach one other dog was there, when other showed up I grabbed him and we left. Makes sense about the trust, good call. Both of my other pups by the time they were a year they knew and trusted us. He follows me around now and whines a tad if i go to the bathroom, and we hung outside on my porch today and he seemed decently comfortable. I just cant believe someone would hurt him. Hes the sweetest GSD I have ever been around. But, I will slow things down, thats good advice.

Juliem24 04-19-2014 11:27 PM

We got a rescue when he was 10 months old. He was very reserved, almost withdrawn for at least 3-4 weeks, stuck to us like glue, freaked if we left him home alone. At one month he started to relax. We took that dog everywhere with us for the first two months, including ob classes, but nothing where he was overwhelmed: like no crowds, no dog park, no crowded streets. He now is very comfortable, even will leave the bedroom and sleep in the hallway, can be left home alone no problems, doesn't cry if the door is closed between him and us. We kept things very quiet for the first 2 months. He's doing well now, knows he lives here and we'll not just abandon him. I think kennel life in a shelter is very tough for GSDs.

lennyb 04-19-2014 11:42 PM

We rescued Bandit in November. He was approximately 4 - 5 months old. He had severe food aggresion, three types of worms, under weight along with some other issues. Well Its been 4 months and he is so loving, in great shape and is coming out of his shell more everyday. We have no more behavior issues of any kind.. All in all he's a wonderful dog.. So I concurs.. Just take it one day at a time and before you know it you'll be amazed how far he's come..

muldoon24 04-19-2014 11:45 PM

Okay. thank you. I plan on bringing him basically everywhere. I live in chicago so a lot of places are dog friendly, the down side is I live in a really busy neighborhood, but only like 2 blocks from the lake. he doesnt really get scared of loud noises, like buses or cars honking.

muldoon24 04-19-2014 11:48 PM

That seems like the general consensus here. Ill slow down getting him out and about. I just want whats best for him and him to understand hes home and not going anywhere.

Zeeva 04-20-2014 02:28 PM

Thank you for rescuing him C:

pineconeforestGSD 04-20-2014 02:35 PM

we had a min-pin who acted the same way when we got her at 9 months.she wasn't socialized very well before we got her.
with patience and love she turned out great.
inch by inch anythings a cinch,just take your time and you will be fine.
your new pup is so lucky to have found you. enjoy your new blessing.

muldoon24 04-20-2014 05:52 PM

no thanks needed. Im starting to to see his personality and its so great.