German Shepherds Forum banner

Is this lil guy purebred?

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  VTGirlT 
#1 ·
Found him outside today swerving between cars, to me he looks purebred but I do not know anything about GSD's, any help would be appreciated I have attatched pics thanks! P.S. If he is mixed what does he look mixed with? Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
He looks purebred to me, but no way to know for sure... he certainly has GSD phenotyping...

If you're new to the breed, you'll learn a lot here! Welcome to the community!

You can also read through the German Shepherd Guide, it also has some great information for people new to the breed!

German Shepherd Guide - Home

Does he have a name yet? Are you going to try to find his owners, or are you keeping him? I think its worth it to at least try to see if anyone is desperately looking for their lost puppy... if he's just a stray, congrats on the new puppy! Glad he found himself in a home instead of on the dangerous road.

#8 ·
I have already posted on Craigslist and looked in the area for over an hour to find its owner, I hate to generalize but I live in a very small south-western town where a lot of people do not care for their dogs so if this was anywhere else in the country I would agree with the owners being heartbroken but I find stray PUPPIES on a weekly basis, Im not concerned so much with him being full as I just want to make sure he is going to get to a decent size if I keep him seeing as I go hiking a lot and a German Shepard mixed with a toy breed would get destroyed in the mountains behind my house but do not worry I am still trying to find the owner I appreciate any replies though as its looking like he may stay in my possession thank you! Any more opinions are genuinly appreciated

#19 ·
Don't know, but he's a good looking puppy.

I can't imagine that there is not someone looking for him.

#20 ·
As long as you have your priorities in order I don't see what the issue would be.

1. Pick up the dog and make sure the dog is safe and healthy if not take it to the vet.

2. Try to find the original owner as they may be heartbroken even though you may want to keep the dog you need to search for the owner for at least 45 days in my opinion.

3. After you've exhausted all possibilities through the Police Department animal control local veterinarians newspapers and flyers then after 45 or 50 days you've already bonded with the dog if you can provide the dog a good home and that's wonderful you've done everything that you could all the way through the process.

If you expect to be reimbursed from monetary output if you do find the original owners it's my opinion that you're doing it for the wrong reasons and should consider turning the dog over to somebody who could take care of it without monetary concerns.

#21 ·
It sounds like you are trying hard to locate the owner. Some pups do have microchips, you could take him to the vet to test for microchip.

However, if you do locate the owners put a little fear of God in them, let them know their puppy could have been killed. They need to be A LOT more careful than that, he is just a baby. Yes, accidents happen and were human. But don't have a pup off leash where he could have a chance of "swerving between cars." :rolleyes:

#23 ·
When I found a stray GSD at least this is the way it works in Cali, I turned him into Animal Control, they do everything they can to find the rightful owner for 5 days. After 5 days if none is found you have 1st rights to adopt the animal if you choose. If not it goes up for adoption for anybody.

#24 ·
That is debatable.
At the shelter i worked at. An ACO brought in a stray dog from someone who found it. Or even if a person who found it and brought it in themselves with their vehicle.
The manager of the shelter wouldn't necessarily place the dog in a home with the person who found it (she would let us know if she didn't think the home was suitable!), even if the person who found the stray wanted first dibs. Because the shelter still cared about what home it wen't into.
However, it can be different per shelter and also i'm sure the OP is a lot better of a home than some of the people who claimed the stray that they brought into our shelter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.