German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Is this lil guy purebred? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/440345-lil-guy-purebred.html)

EveryManALion 04-19-2014 03:01 PM

Is this lil guy purebred?

3 Attachment(s)
Found him outside today swerving between cars, to me he looks purebred but I do not know anything about GSD's, any help would be appreciated I have attatched pics thanks! P.S. If he is mixed what does he look mixed with? Thanks!

Wild Wolf 04-19-2014 03:09 PM

He looks purebred to me, but no way to know for sure... he certainly has GSD phenotyping...

If you're new to the breed, you'll learn a lot here! Welcome to the community!

You can also read through the German Shepherd Guide, it also has some great information for people new to the breed!

German Shepherd Guide - Home

Does he have a name yet? Are you going to try to find his owners, or are you keeping him? I think its worth it to at least try to see if anyone is desperately looking for their lost puppy... if he's just a stray, congrats on the new puppy! Glad he found himself in a home instead of on the dangerous road.

Nigel 04-19-2014 03:10 PM

Hard to say for sure in situations like this, but looks like he could be a GSD or at least very high GSD mix. Any possibility of locating an owner? Glad you were there to help him.

scarfish 04-19-2014 03:26 PM

he most likely got out of someones house. find the owner and get it back to them.

carmspack 04-19-2014 03:27 PM

maybe not , ears are very wide and rounded , head shape is a little off .

scarfish 04-19-2014 03:32 PM

somebody is worried sick over that dog and you're more worried about the breed? gimme a break. put some flyers up and call the local animal dept. to say if anyone calls for a dog you have it! jesus christ!

carmspack 04-19-2014 03:36 PM

owner needs to be located --- he could have been a car, in a parking lot and someone opens the door , possibly a child , and the dog slips out without even being noticed . Dog looks very well cared for .

EveryManALion 04-19-2014 03:54 PM

I have already posted on Craigslist and looked in the area for over an hour to find its owner, I hate to generalize but I live in a very small south-western town where a lot of people do not care for their dogs so if this was anywhere else in the country I would agree with the owners being heartbroken but I find stray PUPPIES on a weekly basis, Im not concerned so much with him being full as I just want to make sure he is going to get to a decent size if I keep him seeing as I go hiking a lot and a German Shepard mixed with a toy breed would get destroyed in the mountains behind my house but do not worry I am still trying to find the owner I appreciate any replies though as its looking like he may stay in my possession thank you! Any more opinions are genuinly appreciated

EveryManALion 04-19-2014 03:58 PM

Oh and thank you for the local Police Department tip I actually called them and the animal shelter so if anyone calls either of them looking for their dog I gave them my number so they can contact me and get him back!

Nigel 04-19-2014 04:12 PM

Good job, sounds like you covered it, if no one comes looking, are you going to keep him? I'd guess he'll end up mid size, 60-ish lbs, prolly make a great hiking companion.