Does your shepherd talk back?

Example:

"Hey! Stop that!"

Woof!

"I said stop!"

Woof!

"Are you talking back to me?"

Woof! Woof! Woof!

Lol....we had someone tell us gsd's do that, we're wondering if it really is a common trait.

#2 ·
Eko talks, but it's not really talking back as much as it's like pleading lol. Like he comes up and whines and whines and whines for attention, he groans and moos all day long too. They are talkers :)

Xena is my pit bull mix and she has attitude! She'll growl and bark and huff to let us know exactly how she feels about what we're doing lol.

#3 ·
At 4 months, Jazz is not talking back yet, but she does a kind of coo as she mouths her stuffy just before falling asleep. I think it's probably a throwback to her mama when she was in the litter. She will do the same if you gently pet/stroke her as she falls asleep. It's quite endearing, I hope she never loses it. Other than that, she does a whine when she wants your attention.

#4 ·
I don't know if this classifies as talking back, but if Titan is in my face or just won't settle I'll say "Go to bed" and on his way he grumbles a little, then when he lays down he does this over dramatic, groaning, sigh and then just looks at me all pathetic like.. lol.

#6 ·
Cruz is all about sassing. He talks back a lot. He also takes it one step further. He will bark or moan at you when he is wanting something. Could be his tug or he wants out. If you try to ignore, he will come over and take your sleeve or whole wrist in his mouth and guide you out of the chair. Bad thing about that is, sometimes he is gentle about it and sometimes he isn't.

Rocky, was just all about talking back. You could almost get the feeling he was having a conversation with you though. It was kind of weird. I swear it was like he was half human at times.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
Our female mumbles or makes a weird groaning sound....plops on the floor and lets out a huge sigh....:-/

Our male talks a lot! If you ask a question he barks, if he sees his favorite ball he barks, when he rings his bell for outside he follows that with a bark, when he sees my walking shoes he barks, when he sees the hat I wear for soccer he barks, his treats, when he sees our home after we have been gone all day...when I open peanut butter he burst in the kitchen barking....even if I am super quite when I open it...he follows the barking with leaving the kitchen-running to the toy box-grabbing his kong-returning to the kitchen...barking for me to fill his kong with peanutbutter....:-/
I think he likes to hear himself talk....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
Della's not a barker (unless she's alerting), but she does "talk." It's not quite a whine. It's more like she's trying to mimick my tone of voice/inflections. When we have a quiet moment after I've fed her, or as I'm waking her up to go walk in the mornings, she'll stretch, then come nuzzle and start "talking" to me. Not sure what she's trying to communicate, but it melts my heart every time. :wub:

#10 ·
Gunther does a mumbling noise at me when he's feeling ornery and I'm telling him something he doesn't like. Also when I throw my arms open and say "Hugs" and then hug him he groans and talks like he's protesting. Not if I hug him without the announcement though lol

#12 ·
Mine hardly ever actually barks unless he thinks there's something wrong, alerting I guess. But he definitely mumbles, groans, huffs, and wuffs in response to my remarks about him. Also, when he wants to play, but I tell him "enough" because I'm busy or distracted he goes and finds a place to lay down, then slowly sinks down to the ground with a drawn out, over dramatic, whining sigh.

#13 ·
Jericho has a chewbacca sound he makes when he is playing with my mom's Chihuahua. It's adorable. He lays on his stomach and "talks" to her. He rarely barks or protests when I'm talking to him, although, he will get a blank look on his face when I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do. Like it's the first time he's ever heard it. It gives me teenager flashbacks.

#14 ·
YES!

My girl is Miss Bossy Attitude Pants!

Some examples: I'm sitting at the computer, and she comes over and sits maybe a couple feet away looking at me (I dont directly look at her, but can see at the corner of my eye) She proceeds with a very high pitch barking to get my attention! The only time i reward her is when she decides to lay down instead of barking at me.

Also when im getting her fresh water or food, waiting for a toy or treat, that she really wants, she will protest that i have to keep her in a down or sit wait/ etc.. :) Groans, barking, whining, etc. will be used during this time from her. She also puts a lot of force into her down like a little child who has to sit down at dinner and plops back into his seat XD Silly silly girl! I welcome, and usually like the attitude because i talk right back and still make her do what i wanted her to do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.