Am I the only one who has had anxiety over boarding their dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Am I the only one who has had anxiety over boarding their dog?

This is the first time Jericho will be boarded over night...anywhere... and it's going to be for 5 days. I have to admit...I'm having a little anxiet about it (go figure, the turkey passed his anxiety issues on to me).
He has never been away from me before (except for the hours I am at work). I'm worried that his separation issues are going to come back and I will have a velcro pup again that whines and howls if I am out of his sight.

I know, he's just a dog; he's going to be fine...right? I have cats and an older dog and it's him that I am worried about. Am I turning into the crazy dog lady?
What was your experience the first time you boarded your pup?
Melissa98409 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No it's very common for dog owners to worry about boarding, or even using a dogsitter.

I'm sure you checked the kennel out, it's clean, professional and it has good references(?)

Keep in mind that the people working at the kennel deal with dogs being boarded for the first time all the time.

They know how to help the dogs be calm and happy.

Also you should be able to call them to check in on how your dogs are doing and ask them to send you some pictures.

Another tip, try as best you can to not let your dog see/sense your anxiety it will make it harder for him. When you take him to the kennel act like you're just leaving him with a groomer for a couple of hours. They are so sensitive and if you put out vibes that everything is o.k. that will help your dog feel o.k.

Also, in the future, if it's do-able for your dog you may want to check into using a dog sitter. Just make sure they are properly insured and have good references too.

Hang in there, it'll be o.k. and it's good for your dog to learn that when Mom goes away A) he's going to be o.k. and B) you're coming back.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I haven't boarded them yet. I just had my little Chi neutered in Jan and he bit a tech. I'm boarding them both in June for three nights/four days and I'm more nervous about their treatment and the place getting their feeding correct without giving me a hard time. I'm also worried about them being ugly to my Chi for being a nervous aggressor. That's MY job, lol!

I hope you have a good experience
A girl and her dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

The first time I boarded my dogs, Titan was around 3-4 months. They were there for 9 nights while we went to Dominican Republic for a wedding. I was terrified the whole time. The owner of the kennel is on facebook and updates his wall with pics regularly, so I found myself checking facebook every couple hours just to make sure there were pics of them (pics meant they were fine). At one point I didn't see pics for a couple days so I panicked. It was ridiculous and my girlfriend told me I was being paranoid, but I couldn't help it.

The owner of the kennel loves my dogs and they love him. He has Titans littermate, who has EPI and he has spent a ton of money managing that disease, so I know he's a true dog lover as well. Still, every time I take them there I worry. Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me. I know they'll be just fine, but I get severe anxiety about it anyway.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

They learn to find strength away from you too. Especially when you board young. Can do wonders for the socialization and confidence of a pup.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe this helps? I recently boarded my dogs at my friend's small boarding kennel for 10 nights. When I arrived, I saw my dogs out in one of the big yards so I rolled down the window and called to my dog. He just stood there over his beloved Jollyball, like "oh hai mom, look what aunti M has in her yard!" Then we went inside so I could pay. He wandered into the living room, found a giant tennis ball, and laid down next to her husband. Yeah, he really missed me.....

Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
They learn to find strength away from you too. Especially when you board young. Can do wonders for the socialization and confidence of a pup.
Interesting post.

I'd like to have a dog more accustomed to boarding and am getting a puppy soon. I agree with you that boarding young will aid in the pup's development assuming a good boarder/sitter.

My question is at what age would you recommend boarding for this purpose?

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I boarded my previous dogs at the vet where I worked. They couldn't go near the bigger one, he was about a year old, my mom had to go walk him everyday. He refused go eat the whole time and shedded profusely. By the time I got back he looked pretty bad. He had a dazed look and growled at me when I opened the kennel. Once he knew it was me he got really happy. I have nor will I ever board any of my dogs again.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I stick them with G ma when I leave town.
Anyone who sorrounds themselves with dogs for a living must love dogs , barking could drive a sane person batty....let alone someone who doesmt really like dogs. Check references.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Otto's a very confident dog he's a bit of an arrogant jerk. Boarding for a couple days once in a while is good for Otto. I always call the kennel every day to check on him and they love his swagger there. He's always so happy to come home!

Venus has been boarded a couple times, she behaves well but has wicked separation anxiety so she gives me a love mugging everytime I come to get them.

I was anxious with my rescues so they'd come with us on boating and ski trips. Morgan was the last of my rescues, she was so shattered when I got her and she bonded too deeply to rehome her. Morgan lived her life out with me. I never boarded her, I couldn't do it to her because of whatever happened to her before I had her. The closest she ever came to boarding was when my Mom stayed here to take care of the dogs while I was in the hospital having my children. Morgan loved Mom but those were the only nights she ever spent away from me.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.