German Shepherds Forum banner

Am I the only one who has had anxiety over boarding their dog?

4K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Melissa98409 
#1 ·
This is the first time Jericho will be boarded over night...anywhere... and it's going to be for 5 days. I have to admit...I'm having a little anxiet about it (go figure, the turkey passed his anxiety issues on to me).
He has never been away from me before (except for the hours I am at work). I'm worried that his separation issues are going to come back and I will have a velcro pup again that whines and howls if I am out of his sight.

I know, he's just a dog; he's going to be fine...right? I have cats and an older dog and it's him that I am worried about. Am I turning into the crazy dog lady?
What was your experience the first time you boarded your pup?

#2 ·
No it's very common for dog owners to worry about boarding, or even using a dogsitter.

I'm sure you checked the kennel out, it's clean, professional and it has good references(?)

Keep in mind that the people working at the kennel deal with dogs being boarded for the first time all the time.

They know how to help the dogs be calm and happy.

Also you should be able to call them to check in on how your dogs are doing and ask them to send you some pictures.

Another tip, try as best you can to not let your dog see/sense your anxiety it will make it harder for him. When you take him to the kennel act like you're just leaving him with a groomer for a couple of hours. They are so sensitive and if you put out vibes that everything is o.k. that will help your dog feel o.k.

Also, in the future, if it's do-able for your dog you may want to check into using a dog sitter. Just make sure they are properly insured and have good references too.

Hang in there, it'll be o.k. and it's good for your dog to learn that when Mom goes away A) he's going to be o.k. and B) you're coming back.

:)

#3 ·
I haven't boarded them yet. I just had my little Chi neutered in Jan and he bit a tech. I'm boarding them both in June for three nights/four days and I'm more nervous about their treatment and the place getting their feeding correct without giving me a hard time. I'm also worried about them being ugly to my Chi for being a nervous aggressor. That's MY job, lol!

I hope you have a good experience :)

#4 ·
The first time I boarded my dogs, Titan was around 3-4 months. They were there for 9 nights while we went to Dominican Republic for a wedding. I was terrified the whole time. The owner of the kennel is on facebook and updates his wall with pics regularly, so I found myself checking facebook every couple hours just to make sure there were pics of them (pics meant they were fine). At one point I didn't see pics for a couple days so I panicked. It was ridiculous and my girlfriend told me I was being paranoid, but I couldn't help it.

The owner of the kennel loves my dogs and they love him. He has Titans littermate, who has EPI and he has spent a ton of money managing that disease, so I know he's a true dog lover as well. Still, every time I take them there I worry. Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me. I know they'll be just fine, but I get severe anxiety about it anyway.

#7 ·
Interesting post.

I'd like to have a dog more accustomed to boarding and am getting a puppy soon. I agree with you that boarding young will aid in the pup's development assuming a good boarder/sitter.

My question is at what age would you recommend boarding for this purpose?

#6 ·
Maybe this helps? I recently boarded my dogs at my friend's small boarding kennel for 10 nights. When I arrived, I saw my dogs out in one of the big yards so I rolled down the window and called to my dog. He just stood there over his beloved Jollyball, like "oh hai mom, look what aunti M has in her yard!" Then we went inside so I could pay. He wandered into the living room, found a giant tennis ball, and laid down next to her husband. Yeah, he really missed me.....

#8 ·
I boarded my previous dogs at the vet where I worked. They couldn't go near the bigger one, he was about a year old, my mom had to go walk him everyday. He refused go eat the whole time and shedded profusely. By the time I got back he looked pretty bad. He had a dazed look and growled at me when I opened the kennel. Once he knew it was me he got really happy. I have nor will I ever board any of my dogs again.

#10 ·
Otto's a very confident dog :rofl: he's a bit of an arrogant jerk. Boarding for a couple days once in a while is good for Otto. I always call the kennel every day to check on him and they love his swagger there. He's always so happy to come home!

Venus has been boarded a couple times, she behaves well but has wicked separation anxiety so she gives me a love mugging everytime I come to get them.

I was anxious with my rescues so they'd come with us on boating and ski trips. Morgan was the last of my rescues, she was so shattered when I got her and she bonded too deeply to rehome her. Morgan lived her life out with me. I never boarded her, I couldn't do it to her because of whatever happened to her before I had her. The closest she ever came to boarding was when my Mom stayed here to take care of the dogs while I was in the hospital having my children. Morgan loved Mom but those were the only nights she ever spent away from me.

#11 ·
I'm fortunate enough to have a sister who has a super calming effect on animals and all of my animals ADORE her. She is my designated pet sitter when we go away. Which has only happened once for our first anniversary but hopefully over time will be each year.

#12 ·
I do....I left Tucker at the vet for a few hours and was a basket case. Fortunately, he wasnt! I try to make partings short and sweet at home and I did the same thing at the vet. Tuck is pretty confident and social, though, so I'm lucky.

I once boarded two females at a kennel I knew well, with SPECIFIC instructions that they could share a run but HAD to be separated for feeding. A teen working there didn't read (or get told) this and I came home to 2 chewed up dogs.

Same kennel accidently released a lab in the aisle where my niece's obnoxious Min-Pin was, and one lunge by the brat ended in the lab shaking and killing her almost instantly.

For this reason, I will only board Tucker with my trainer or his breeder. Up until now, he's traveled with me but at some point, I'll need to do it I'm sure.

No more commercial kennel operations for me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#13 ·
You are by no means alone. I have a pet sitter come to the house and I am still a nervous wreck. She does text after most visits and sends pics. It helps some. It seems to be getting worse for me as I get older.

Right now I just woke up from sleeping on the family room floor next to Indie's crate. She had her spay and gastropexy 2 days ago. I got almost no sleep when she overnighted at the vet. I was pretty worthless for 2 days at work as well.

For me at least, when something is not normal for my "pack", my world is just not right until all is as it should be.

#16 ·
Don't feel bad. The way you feel is totally normal. I literally cried the first time I left Rocco for boarding. I felt like a mother sending her child to daycare for the first time. It was a dilemma for me because Rocco is super attached (even sleeps with us) and a nervous dog on top of that. I first researched and visited several places before finding "Dog Dude Ranch". It was perfect for him: a ranch so that he could run around with other dogs (he loves parks and other dogs).
This is what I did that helped (we were also going away for a whole week). I first took him just for daycare a couple of times 2 weeks before our trip. Then, I took him for 1 night only the week before our trip. I'm glad I did because I discovered that he gets very nervous and develops diarrhea. I was able to see the vet and get a prescription for him to help with his anxiety/diarrhea. It ended up working out fine. Rocco loves the place (even knows it by name) but still gets very nervous when left (I'm always told that he's fine once I'm gone). So, I continue to occasionally take him for daycare so it becomes a well known place to him as we plan on doing lots of traveling.
Good luck with your choice. I'm sure your baby will be fine. Oh, and make sure that you can call to find out how he's doing. That helped me a lot.

#17 ·
Boarding

We operate a boarding kennel, in operation for over 10 years now. We (me and my wife) have been owners of GSD's for over 40 years, as well as many other type of animals- horses, cows, chickens, cats, etc. We take our jobs very seriously as far as caring for other peoples pets. We are licensed, insured and inspected yearly by the state. We have an alarm system, closed circuit tv systems, automatic fire detection, etc. Our fencing is rated as "prison type". We take every precaution in caring for others pets.Our personal vet is on call 24hrs. Not to knock pet sitters, but how many can list these specifications for pet care? Our customers tell us daily about problems they have encountered with unqualified pet sitters.We have never had a pet escape.
ALL pets do better in a boarding situation if properly introduced. We recommend 1 day of daycare initially, followed up by 1 overnight stay before the owners actually leave the pet for an extended stay. Works wonders-
I will say without reservation that pets who have boarded at an early age are the best behaved in a boarding kennel, they know what to expect and enjoy their stay, the interaction of being around all types of canines, and the excitement of seeing new faces.
I equate a boarding kennel with sending children to daycare. If parents didn't have daycare, how would some work a job?
If a boarding facility is well-run, dogs will enjoy their stays- PERIOD. IMHO, Bob:):):):) And trust me, it's alot harder on the parents of a pet, the dogs only want to have fun!!!!!!!

#19 · (Edited)
Well not all boarding kennels are the same. We had a dog escape a boarding facility not to long ago, it was hit by a car but thankfully found. The dog required surgery and the boarding facility blamed the owner for not properly training the dog. :crazy: So there are some really bad apples out there.

Another friend lost her dog to bloat while being boarded, they missed the warning signs. Good kennel, with a great reputation but these things happen and the longer you are in business the more it's not a matter of if but when.

My Great Uncle owned a boarding kennel for many more years then you've been in business and over those years he had a couple of escapes. Both times the dogs were fence climbers but he hadn't been notified.

Sometimes staff you hire just make honest mistakes, accidents happen even with really good care givers.

Pet sitters have to deal with the environment the client provides so it creates a lot more variables. They don't have catch pens, kennel doors that can be operated from outside the pen and so forth.

I use a pet sitter, she has excellent references including veterinarians who refer to her, access to a 24 hour E vet, she is fully insured and bonded and has been in business for almost 15 years now. If you have a dog that has a weakened immune system and cannot take the extra vaccinations required by kennels having a pet sitter maybe a better solution (for example). Sometimes elderly pets do better in a home environment. Some dogs are better off being boarded.

Anyone who needs to have their pet cared for while travelling should always do their due diligence. Visit the facility or meet the care giver personally. Check references, verify insurance and licensing.

At the end of the day it depends on the dog and the dog's owner and what is best for their individual pet and needs.

eta: and now that we've made the poor OP more worried then before .... keep in mind that the vast majority of the time dogs do just fine and nothing bad happens while they are being boarded or cared for by a sitter. :)

We operate a boarding kennel, in operation for over 10 years now. We (me and my wife) have been owners of GSD's for over 40 years, as well as many other type of animals- horses, cows, chickens, cats, etc. We take our jobs very seriously as far as caring for other peoples pets. We are licensed, insured and inspected yearly by the state. We have an alarm system, closed circuit tv systems, automatic fire detection, etc. Our fencing is rated as "prison type". We take every precaution in caring for others pets.Our personal vet is on call 24hrs. Not to knock pet sitters, but how many can list these specifications for pet care? Our customers tell us daily about problems they have encountered with unqualified pet sitters.We have never had a pet escape.
ALL pets do better in a boarding situation if properly introduced. We recommend 1 day of daycare initially, followed up by 1 overnight stay before the owners actually leave the pet for an extended stay. Works wonders-
I will say without reservation that pets who have boarded at an early age are the best behaved in a boarding kennel, they know what to expect and enjoy their stay, the interaction of being around all types of canines, and the excitement of seeing new faces.
I equate a boarding kennel with sending children to daycare. If parents didn't have daycare, how would some work a job?
If a boarding facility is well-run, dogs will enjoy their stays- PERIOD. IMHO, Bob:):):):) And trust me, it's alot harder on the parents of a pet, the dogs only want to have fun!!!!!!!

#18 ·
Not the only one :) I am too. I did it often in Germany because they were on point with their boarding facilities. They had large fenced off areas and really truly focused on every dog's needs.. and Titan is needy.. so it took some getting used to in the beginning.

Here, I have done it on a trial basis, just to get him used to a new one.. but I wasn't a HUGE fan of the place. We don't really have great facilities out here. I have lucked out with a friend of mine watching him. I watch hers, she watches mine.

BUT don't think that alleviates any anxiety.. when I was deployed I worried constantly. I would ask her for pictures, we even skyped every now and then so I can see him. I constantly bugged her to make she he was doing ok and getting enough exercise. Shoot I even worried that he would like them better than me! I am better with shorter times, but I still ask her how he's doing while I am gone.

#21 ·
I feel your anxiety. First off, important to find a boarding facility you trust. Secondly, see if you can drop him off for a few hours or for the day a few times before you actually have to board him. That way both he and you can get used to it. For me, this time around, I think I will likely board Jazz at the same facility that we go to for training. They are awesome and she is quite comfortable there.

#25 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions and reassurances. I am boarding him with the vet who owns our training facility. I visited the facility where the dogs are baorded and it's clean, well staffed, and the dogs looked to be doing just fine...even happy. I talked with my trainer (who adores him and the feeling is mutual with Jericho) and she has agreed to go get him give him a private lesson while we are gone. That made me feel better that at least he is going to have a familiar face and some normalcy in his visit. All that's left for me to do now is take a deep breath and let him go to the capable hands I've chosen.

You are so right! This is just like sending your child to daycare for the first time. I have to say...I felt the same anxiety with my daughter and she walked right into the daycare like she owned the place. No fuss, no tears, just a wave and a toss of the pony tail and off she went. It was me who was crying. LOL I only hope Jericho is the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.