Canadian Home/GSD owner (liability) insurance!? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Canadian Home/GSD owner (liability) insurance!?

Hello dear fellow Canadians,

An interesting topic came about and has left me puzzled and angry as never before...

So it seems that your home insurance can easily refuse you if you are owner of a GSD breed? What?

The way I see it, if you have a GSD your home most likely won't get robbed so that would be a bonus for them you would think but no! They seem to be scared sh*tless for having to pay liability if your dog bites someone?

I am certain that there are many GSD owners with a house and the insurance and wonder how someone else has dealt with this issue.

is there a company that would resolve this issue. Currently I am located in Quebec (one province here that actually allows pit-bulls) and cant phantom what a shock this is for big breed dog owners that are buying their first home.

Please help as I do not see any other option but to not declare your dog to insurance company!

Regards,
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Insurance companies cannot simply refuse to cover you unless the incident goes against your written policy somehow. If your policy doesn't mention anything about "dangerous" dog breeds, there's no legal justification for refusing a claim. On top of that, even if the dangerous breed term is written in, your insurance company would need to prove GSD's are a dangerous breed.

Your insurance company can't make up rules as they go. If it comes to it, get a lawyer and sue them. They'll quickly settle, like they always do.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know who you deal with, but it sounds more like US insurance rhetoric. I have State Farm currently, no dog issues, previously I went through a broker to get Gore - was cheaper in that area. Nobody has ever asked or cared what dogs I owned. When I worked with a broker, it was type of home, property size, my dogs didn't factor into the equation. Canadian insurance is very different than US, very few companies care about your dog unless it is a legislated restricted breed, which unless you own a pitbull, in a legislative restricted area is a non-issue. Canadian insurance firms are insulated and invested far differently than US, even a firm with mutual interest, Canada is a whole different ball of wax. Unless you cannot by legislation own a breed, it's fair game, unless your company is 51% wholly owned US... Most insurance companies are individually diversified enough, that the 11% Canadian owned shares mean nothing on their limitations and liabilities.
Of course if your credit sucks, then you are at the mercy of the insurance company who will take you. The average person, give your property size, their assessment of your value is always higher, the payer in case of disaster. It's all over. Dogs factor minimal in insurance in Canada, unless you are a roach and then they will deny you for wearing pink panties on Thursday!
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My home insurance does not care what breed I own, I actually mentioned TO THEM that I owned dogs because they never even asked me... as I wanted to know the details (since I have heard US companies can refuse some breed owners). The response I got, "oh, nice dogs!" and then had me sign the paperwork..
Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am also in Quebec, my home insurance also did not want to cover a GSD. My husband told them he'd have to reconsider staying with them, as we wanted a GSD. They guy left him on hold and came back saying it was ok so long as "the dog was not trained to attack". This is not the first I've heard of this from people being told the same about not being allowed GSDs, and who knows how many people call their bluff and how many just just opt for another breed instead.

Last edited by motoxbmx; 04-17-2014 at 10:59 PM.
motoxbmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I dont own a GSD, its a mutt. Not black and tan just some weird sable colored thing..I found on the side of the road.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

State Farm is one if the only ones that doesn't have a list. Allstate says they don't but my mom had issues with them when she owned a Rott. When I got a quote they were more then double then State Farm and the price difference couldn't be explained and they did ask if any dogs were in the home and the breeds. I have heard of others refusing people, they have that right
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 02:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner View Post
Insurance companies cannot simply refuse to cover you unless the incident goes against your written policy somehow. If your policy doesn't mention anything about "dangerous" dog breeds, there's no legal justification for refusing a claim. On top of that, even if the dangerous breed term is written in, your insurance company would need to prove GSD's are a dangerous breed.

Your insurance company can't make up rules as they go. If it comes to it, get a lawyer and sue them. They'll quickly settle, like they always do.
Insurance companies don't have to prove that GSD's are dangerous, they have them on the list and that is all they need to refuse a person and/or a claim. If they didn't ask about dogs in the home then that is different.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Insurance companies don't have to prove that GSD's are dangerous, they have them on the list and that is all they need to refuse a person and/or a claim. If they didn't ask about dogs in the home then that is different.
I just phoned a buddy of mine who runs the All State office in my area. He says there is no list of any kind and they really don't care about dogs. He said liability from dog bites is a non-factor whatever. He said the only issue would be is if it was a breed that was illegal in the province or municipality.

If an insurance company refuses a claim, they need to be able to justify it. If the claim doesn't go against the written policy that you agreed to, they can't justify denying it.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner View Post
I just phoned a buddy of mine who runs the All State office in my area. He says there is no list of any kind and they really don't care about dogs. He said liability from dog bites is a non-factor whatever. He said the only issue would be is if it was a breed that was illegal in the province or municipality.

If an insurance company refuses a claim, they need to be able to justify it. If the claim doesn't go against the written policy that you agreed to, they can't justify denying it.
They told me the same thing, when I asked, but during the application process they do indeed ask about dogs and breed of dogs. There is absolutely no reason for them to ask that info. I just did this last month, because I was going to switch car insurance, but I stood put with State Farm even though the car insurance was double All State. So ask your buddy why they even ask about dogs and Stats Farm doesn't?
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.