German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   blocking flies from coming inside (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/438233-blocking-flies-coming-inside.html)

wolfy dog 04-14-2014 08:34 PM

blocking flies from coming inside

OK, the weather is getting nice and I want the door open to the yard so pup can come and go. Problem; the flies also come and go. I used to keep them out with a bamboo bead curtain but having this pup I foresee some damage.
How do you guys all solve this? What material, what works etc? Remember it has to be somewhat puppy proof.
PS: I know that ideally I should supervise and supervise and clickering him when he goes through the curtain without taking parts with him etc. but it is not always practical.

GatorBytes 04-14-2014 08:46 PM

Magic mesh...screen you Velcro on...centre split with magnets, walk through and closes and fastens...

Available everywhere I think...one of those as seen on TV ad's
But here is a (Canadian) link so you can visual.

Magic Mesh Hands-free Magnetic Screen Door | Canadian Tire

McCoy 04-15-2014 03:14 PM

I 2nd the magic mesh. Its not great looking but is perfectly functional for the situation you described.

wolfy dog 04-15-2014 03:35 PM

Thanks!

huntergreen 04-15-2014 08:46 PM

old fashioned, but fly tape still works well. some times simplest is best.

Anubis_Star 04-17-2014 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBytes (Post 5376177)
Magic mesh...screen you Velcro on...centre split with magnets, walk through and closes and fastens...

Available everywhere I think...one of those as seen on TV ad's
But here is a (Canadian) link so you can visual.

Magic Mesh Hands-free Magnetic Screen Door | Canadian Tire

I used one of these the summer before I put the dog door in. It was cheap, and kind of cheap looking lol. The edges frayed (I think more from the cats clawing at it though). And by the end of the summer it was ready for the trash. BUT it was cheap, and it worked. I would of simply replaced it yearly had I not put the dog door in. It was cheap enough. And the velcro is STILL taped around the door frame lol so the hard work was already done, I simply would of had to hang up the new screen.

So I would recommend it.

GatorBytes 04-17-2014 10:31 AM

It does look cheap...my friend has on her balcony door. I want to get one, Just wish it came in white to match my door trim, etc. I like to have the door open when I sit on the deck so I can hear stereo. I have a phobia to bees/wasps and I always have to kill at least one a day buzzing against my windows on the inside. And those annoying little flies (knats?) that get all over the ceiling and in the light fixtures. Oh, and those Japanese lady bug x...they bite! They were all over the place last fall. And of course mosquito's.

So yeah. I will be getting one.