German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Anyone own or have experience with these breeds? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/436953-anyone-own-have-experience-these-breeds.html)

Sarah~ 04-12-2014 01:32 AM

Anyone own or have experience with these breeds?
 
I want to buy a show quality puppy to get into conformation showing in one of these breeds in a few years and need help narrowing it down to a breed I can research and prepare for.

I want a large, low energy, HEALTHY breed, grooming doesn't matter, and I am really looking for a wrinkly, smooshed-face breed but that comes after all of the other stuff.

I have it down to a few now:
Shar Pei
Boerboel
Newfoundland
Leonberger

Sarah~ 04-12-2014 01:45 AM

Add dogue de Bordeaux (sp?) to that list!

gsdsar 04-12-2014 01:47 AM

My limited experience with Boerboel tells me that they are NOT for the feignt of heart. Very very protective, inaccepting of new animals or people. Not an easy breed.

I like the Leonberger and second the Dogue de Bordeaux.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Pax8 04-12-2014 01:51 AM

33 Attachment(s)
What experience do you have? What kind of dogs have you raised and have you done any sort of competition before?

Just off the top:
-Shar-peis are notorious for serious skin conditions and allergies

-Boerboels, while relatively low energy in my experience, need expert socialization and training. Otherwise they can be extremely aggressive and have a tendency to take a situation into their own hands which can end badly. Even with proper socialization, they have a tendency to be a bit stand-offish to new people and things. I would not recommend this one unless you are VERY experienced with large, natural guarders.

-Newfies and Leos both tend to be pretty laid back. They both can have pretty short lifespans and they have the general health problems of large breeds, namely hips and eyes.

Pax8 04-12-2014 01:53 AM

33 Attachment(s)
Dogues are pretty neat dogs. I don't know too much about their health issues besides normal big dog issues. I do love their temperament though.

Chip18 04-12-2014 02:36 AM

I love Bully breeds myself and would love a Boeboel but that is a serious, better have your crap together dog! Someone on here has one but I can't remember who?

Not a fan of Shar Pei or Chows myself, think they are both pretty much the same.

Newfies are pretty much gentle giants. Leonberger don't know but in general the Newfies was breed to "save" people the others you listed..not so much! :)

Sarah~ 04-12-2014 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5363913)
My limited experience with Boerboel tells me that they are NOT for the feignt of heart. Very very protective, inaccepting of new animals or people. Not an easy breed.

I like the Leonberger and second the Dogue de Bordeaux.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Oh I see... Would they maybe be okay with animals they were raised with from puppies?




Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax8 (Post 5363937)
What experience do you have? What kind of dogs have you raised and have you done any sort of competition before?

Just off the top:
-Shar-peis are notorious for serious skin conditions and allergies

-Boerboels, while relatively low energy in my experience, need expert socialization and training. Otherwise they can be extremely aggressive and have a tendency to take a situation into their own hands which can end badly. Even with proper socialization, they have a tendency to be a bit stand-offish to new people and things. I would not recommend this one unless you are VERY experienced with large, natural guarders.

-Newfies and Leos both tend to be pretty laid back. They both can have pretty short lifespans and they have the general health problems of large breeds, namely hips and eyes.




I have Eko, my GSD, he is fairly DA but he does well with puppies and some female dogs. I also have my APBT mix, she is very dog friendly. Both of them are wary of strangers but are ok once they spend some time with the person. I also owned a golden retriever before, she was friendly all around :)

I've never done any kind of competition before, that's why I am thinking of buying the pup a few years from now and spending this time researching the breed and going to some shows to see what it's all about. There was an AKC show recently in my area and it looked like so much fun!

Shar peis are probably at the top of my list right now, but the allergy and skin issues could be a problem. I am already dealing with serious allergies, epilepsy, and incontinence with my APBT mix I am hoping to find a breed that I won't have to take to the vet as much as Xena.

Eko is what I would probably call my first guarding breed, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with that. Boerboels sound very intense!

That's the only thing I don't like about the Newfs and Leos, they don't live very long and I don't want to get another dog that will pass around the same time as Eko and Xena. I couldn't handle losing 3 dogs close together :(


Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax8 (Post 5363953)
Dogues are pretty neat dogs. I don't know too much about their health issues besides normal big dog issues. I do love their temperament though.


So far I have heard they are very sweet dogs :) they are high up on my list too.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5364113)
I love Bully breeds myself and would love a Boeboel but that is a serious, better have your crap together dog! Someone on here has one but I can't remember who?

Not a fan of Shar Pei or Chows myself, think they are both pretty much the same.

Newfies are pretty much gentle giants. Leonberger don't know but in general the Newfies was breed to "save" people the others you listed..not so much! :)

That's the impression I'm getting now... They may be too much for what I'm looking for.

Seems like people either love shar peis, hate them, or don't know anything about them lol!

Newfs look like really really great dogs. I met one once and it was a very nice dog :)

Pax8 04-12-2014 03:42 AM

33 Attachment(s)
It's sounding to me like the top of your list based on your current situation and preferences might be the Dogue. The Newfies and Leos probably aren't going to live the longer lifespan that you're looking for. I don't think I've ever seen a shar pei without extensive health issues. And if you have to wonder if you could handle a Boerboel, you can't handle it. I haven't owned one, but I've worked closely with a couple. One from puppy to adult and the other as an adult. I wouldn't recommend them to a household with other dogs. They can learn to tolerate other dogs if raised with them, but in my experience they really only tolerate. The family that raised the boerboel puppy ended up keeping their other dog largely seperate from him because even though he was raised with the dog from puppyhood, he just did not want to interact with it.

From what I've seen, the Dogue has mostly just basic big dog issues when it comes to health, can live a decent life span if well taken care of, and is laid back enough to get along with other dogs and for a moderately experienced handler to do well with it.

Sarah~ 04-12-2014 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax8 (Post 5364145)
It's sounding to me like the top of your list based on your current situation and preferences might be the Dogue. The Newfies and Leos probably aren't going to live the longer lifespan that you're looking for. I don't think I've ever seen a shar pei without extensive health issues. And if you have to wonder if you could handle a Boerboel, you can't handle it. I haven't owned one, but I've worked closely with a couple. One from puppy to adult and the other as an adult. I wouldn't recommend them to a household with other dogs. They can learn to tolerate other dogs if raised with them, but in my experience they really only tolerate. The family that raised the boerboel puppy ended up keeping their other dog largely seperate from him because even though he was raised with the dog from puppyhood, he just did not want to interact with it.

From what I've seen, the Dogue has mostly just basic big dog issues when it comes to health, can live a decent life span if well taken care of, and is laid back enough to get along with other dogs and for a moderately experienced handler to do well with it.

Wikipedia just said a Dogue's life expectancy is 5-8 years... I'm hoping to get at least 10-12 years, is that possible with the dogue if I go through a good breeder and take good care of them like you said?

Pax8 04-12-2014 04:06 AM

33 Attachment(s)
A lot will depend on care. Especially in large breeds. One of my friends runs a Dane rescue. Danes are only supposed to live 5-6 years if I remember correctly. Hers average a life span of 9-11 years (barring extreme health issues) due to healthy diet and exceptional care. Large dogs definitely won't live as long as, say, a rat terrier but their life span can be significantly increased by buying from a responsible breeder who runs meticulous health tests and by providing detailed care. Also, the friend with the Dane rescue feeds raw.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2