German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Rehoming GSDs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/436705-rehoming-gsds.html)

armauro 04-11-2014 12:57 PM

Rehoming GSDs

I have four - 2 sl and two wl- I am considering rehoming my one year old all black Bomber son and my 3 year old black Drache Feld boy. Both of these dogs are very trained and well behaved but high drive. No issues.
The 3 year old also has protection training.
It kills me as I write this and my concern is how do they get to a nice home- not becoming kennel dogs like so many gsds. Here they live like people. This is not about money or trying to sell them.

Zeeva 04-11-2014 12:59 PM

Oh no :C what happened?

Do they get along with other dogs?

This is heart breaking.

huntergreen 04-11-2014 03:02 PM

can you post a little more info on the dogs you are considering rehoming? do they get along with other dogs?

armauro 04-11-2014 03:10 PM

Yes- one will be 1 year old 4/25- great loving personality- all black from Spitzenhund Kennels- a Bomber son already 75 lbs- excellent obedience-

almost 3 year old- in June- Black with some tan on legs- great home defense dog-77lbs- my most obedient and reliable dog out of four. Son of Nick del Lupo. Has had months of bite work training for protection.
Dog is big time bonded to me.

I would classify both of these guys as medium drive - both are very animal friendly for sure - live in the house in a pack of four- 3 males and one female.
All males are intact.

I am putting feelers out at this stage- on the fence- I have become a slave to these four dogs all of whom I care for big time.

Susan_GSD_mom 04-11-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armauro (Post 5361609)
Yes- one will be 1 year old 4/25- great loving personality- all black from Spitzenhund Kennels- a Bomber son already 75 lbs- excellent obedience-

almost 3 year old- in June- Black with some tan on legs- great home defense dog-77lbs- my most obedient and reliable dog out of four. Son of Nick del Lupo. Has had months of bite work training for protection.
Dog is big time bonded to me.

I would classify both of these guys as medium drive - both are very animal friendly for sure - live in the house in a pack of four- 3 males and one female.
All males are intact.

I am putting feelers out at this stage- on the fence- I have become a slave to these four dogs all of whom I care for big time.

Ohhhh, we just took in a re-homed female a few months ago. We have had three before, but with my sister's health situation, I don't think I can care adequately for more than these two. May we ask what has happened? Whatever it is, I know it must be heartbreaking for you.

Susan

sehrgutcsg 04-11-2014 03:21 PM

This is the tragic story of the day. If I had to say the names of two member's here I would trust without concern. They would be Selzer and Bailliff.. :(

Betty 04-11-2014 03:48 PM

Are the dogs currently located in Conn or Florida?

armauro 04-11-2014 04:00 PM

The dogs are in Florida with me - we head to Connecticut in June-
There is no story here- I am a little burned out caring for 4 dogs- they live in a $2mm Florida home that is very nice but has to be professionally cleaned 3x a week. They require a lot of time which I have as I am retired.
Typical schedule starts at 430am when they are walked/fed at 5/ long walk exercise into woods at 645/good until noon/walk/ 130pm walk and fed/4pm walked exercised into woods- usually good until 8 when they go to bed. SEVEN DAYS A WEEK.
So my life revolves around this schedule. No vacation since 2008 as I will not put my dogs in a kennel and it takes a SPECIAL dog sitter to care for 4.

So I am on the fence- keep them or place them? As I write this I feel like the time when I put my 3.5 year old gsd down due to IBD which could no longer be controlled. I have a lot of $ invested into each of them with professional training.

Zeeva 04-11-2014 04:22 PM

I understand the \'burnt out\' feeling. I\'ve got two and it\'s more than double the work. Can\'t imagine Xsing that by like 8...and on top of that having a sick one :C.

If you feel so tied up, instead of placing them, could you lightening YOUR doggie schedule? I\'ve learned that dogs are very forgiving and adjust to change. I\'m still learning to have my pups\' lives revolve around me instead of the other way around and I know how hard that can be because, I guess, kind of like you, I\'m hard on myself in terms of how much care they need--but it turns out they don\'t need as much as I \'think\'. Because in the end, I\'m sure they adore you with the type of care you seem to provide and they\'d miss you...

Just a suggestion.

I hope things work out for y\'all...

Jax08 04-11-2014 07:01 PM

Have you contacted your breeders?