German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Transporting in car... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/436273-transporting-car.html)

Oisin's Aoire 04-10-2014 12:46 PM

Transporting in car...

How do you transport your dogs in your vehicle? Crate , loose , lapbelt thingy ?

I had him loose in the back of my SUV ...and I just had to return the lease and did not realize he chewed through all 3 3rd row seatbelts . He was pretty stealth about it! Anyway , he goes everywhere with me. I just got a new vehicle and it is not quite and SUV..more like a Subaru type wagon ( a Lincoln MKT ) .

I do not want him chewing stuff in the new vehicle and besides the crate is admittedly safer. I underestimated how big it was though and he can't stand up in the rear of the car without having to airplane his ears like Yoda. I put a wire crate in there that is 26" tall which is about what he is at the withers. It is smaller than what I would normally put him in , but it hits the roof of the wagon. He can stand up and turn around in the crate no problem so I am hoping he will be fine. He gets a stuffed kong for trips.

Anyway , I was wondering if anyone else had any other tricks/solutions they have tried and was also wondering if any of those crate cooling systems were worth it an helped at all. Obviously I ride with the air on and or windows open..but sometimes it still seems like the back does not get as cool on real hot days. They all got mediocre reviews on Amazon. I was thinking of maybe just a regular portable fan back there?

Input appreciated :)

SummerGSDLover 04-10-2014 12:59 PM

Yogi sits in the front seat with me with a leash. Not restrained but he just lays there.

*-*Summer*-*

Chip18 04-10-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 5355105)
Yogi sits in the front seat with me with a leash. Not restrained but he just lays there.

*-*Summer*-*

Airbag???

Chip18 04-10-2014 01:08 PM

My guys ride in the back no crates, no problems. :) Rocky kinda fills the back seat of the PT Cruiser.
I stuff a comforter on the seats and fill the foot wells with dog pillows and use one for a bolster. When we get a second dog I'll have to lower the back seat. :)

SummerGSDLover 04-10-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5355129)
Airbag???

I turn the airbag off with the car key.

*-*Summer*-*

Shade 04-10-2014 01:20 PM

I use a seatbelt system for both dogs, and a seat cover plus blanket to cover the backseat where Delgado lies to keep hair, scratches, other potential gross things from harming the actual seat.

Oliver'smom 04-10-2014 01:42 PM

I have a 4 dr. Jeep Wranger and Ollie rides in the back unrestrained. He did chew through a seat belt as well. Those things are expensive! The seat belts now have been soaked in biter apple and he hasn't touched them since.

martemchik 04-10-2014 01:48 PM

I use crates. They're so much better for the car. Especially a luxury car.

They tend to keep the hair a bit more contained, and you can then comfortably roll down windows and leave him in the crate if its a bit warm out.

I have a 530 wagon and my back window opens up without the whole tailgate needing to be up, its really nice to be able to have that raised, open the front windows, and get a good breeze through the car when we're at training and the dogs are in their crates.

I wouldn't worry about the height...its much safer for your dog to lay down while you're moving anyways. Mine is like 25.75 inches tall and the crate is 25 inches tall I believe. I have a smaller female, and I usually have her in a 30 inch crate. My theory is that the smaller the crate the safer it is for the dog...if I do happen to be in an accident, they are much more contained and won't be flung into the side of the crate due to too much space.

Car rides aren't about comfort, they're about safety for both you and the dog.

Gretchen 04-10-2014 02:02 PM

Rides in the back seat behind me. When we went looking for a new car, rear AC was a must! I was surprised many cars did not have it. For about a year I had the use of a 02 Explorer and it had AC in the very rear (3rd row) where we used to put my daughter's dog and she loved it.
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4e030e58.jpg

jocoyn 04-10-2014 02:09 PM

I believe in crates. Not being able to stand up properly is not so much an issue for transport but I also made sure I got the dog out of the crate every few hours on a trip and let them move around. I agree with the statement about the smaller crate being safer.

I love the 12 volt O2 cool fans as they move a lot of air. There is a better fan available at boat stores and Ryobi makes a very nice rechargeable fan at the home supply stores.

Everyone I know who drives an SUV has an Aluminet tarp to cover it during stops. SUVs really heat up, even with the windows open, in the sun.