German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Dog safe ant removal products / methods for outdoor use? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/435473-dog-safe-ant-removal-products-methods-outdoor-use.html)

Wild Wolf 04-08-2014 02:40 PM

Dog safe ant removal products / methods for outdoor use?

DH and I are re-arranging patio stones in the backyard to make a platform for the dog's kiddie pool - ONE of the patio stones we are moving has a small ant colony underneath it. We had no idea they were there... no other signs of them anywhere in the yard or around/in the house.

Since the dogs are exposed to the area, I am wondering if anyone knows any dog safe methods of killing the ants? I've heard of using borax to kill, and peppermint oil as a deterrent? Borax is obviously not good for dogs...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Sabis mom 04-08-2014 02:45 PM

I use boiling water to kill the ants and the eggs, poured right into their holes. Red clover planted around the perimeter will deter them coming back.

Freestep 04-08-2014 02:47 PM

Diatomaceous earth, or a pyrethrin spray, or both. :)

Shade 04-08-2014 02:47 PM

Epsom salt works great, though it does have to be reapplied if it gets wet.

Wild Wolf 04-08-2014 02:50 PM

I have epsom salt! Will DE really work on ants? That would be awesome, since I have a huge jug of that AND epsom salt!

Thanks so much for chiming in, guys!!

Mister C 04-08-2014 03:42 PM

When we had an ant problem we used talcum powder as a barrier. They don't like to cross a line of talc. These were small ants in Maryland that were coming in under our doors.

I have not had the displeasure of dealing with fire ants or crazy ants invading my home. I have no idea how to deal with them.

GatorBytes 04-08-2014 04:02 PM

You need to make a honey bait...look up online.

Basically you use borax and honey or sugar...put it on a dish or plastic lid or something...the worker ants go get the bait and bring it back to the queen to eat - this kills her so she cannot produce more...not sure about the workers but guess they will eat too and die.

jocoyn 04-08-2014 04:26 PM

DE works with ants and I have even had it work with yellowjackets. It just takes a little more time but it works! I have heard cornmeal works with ants too but have not tried it.

ApselBear 04-08-2014 04:33 PM

Have you tried a magnifying glass?

carmspack 04-08-2014 04:38 PM

Last year we had a horrible time with fire ants. Pick up the garbage to take it to the road and instantly you have ants crawling on your arms and legs. Run to house , and shower --- clothing in a sealed container for the washer.

We experimented with maize meal which is also great for weed control (loblaws sold some) --- then used soybean oil (agricultural type at the co-op) made a paste and threw it near the ant activity. It did seem to work. Better than honey because if there is moisture, rain, dew or watering your plants the honey disappears whereas the oil is persistent .