German Shepherds Forum banner

what age do GSD's stop growing?

10K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Eiros 
#1 ·
:)i know it's a simple question but i never really looked it up anywhere so i thought i'd ask

#10 ·
Males generally stop growing in height by about 9 months, may gain an extra 1cm by 15 months, and fill out by 3 to 4 years

Females generally stop growing in height by about 8 months and may gain an extra 1cm by 12 to 15 months and fill out by 3 years.

#11 ·
Related question

When do you switch from puppy food portions to adult food portions? Ollie will be a year next week and is eating 6 cups/day. He is 85 lbs. Not as ribb-y as he was a few months ago but still has a defined waist. We fly through bags of food. When should we start to taper that down?

#12 ·
When do you switch from puppy food portions to adult food portions? Ollie will be a year next week and is eating 6 cups/day. He is 85 lbs. Not as ribb-y as he was a few months ago but still has a defined waist. We fly through bags of food. When should we start to taper that down?
I think whatever keeps your dog at a healthy weight is best. We switched to a higher calorie food because of this reason though, he was slightly underweight (ribs/hipbones very visible) on another brand and rather than boosting the food to a large amount, we switched to half raw half higher-calorie kibble and he is now at a healthy weight.

He's been on adult food since 6 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.