German Shepherds Forum banner

Emergency supplies!

653 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  wyoung2153 
#1 ·
im in california and lately we have been getting hit with earthquakes..i

bought a couple first aid kits! but my concern is my dogs food source!

what do you guys have packed incase shhhh hits the fan?????

#2 ·
Buy an air tight container, you can get nice ones at PetSmart. Fill it with enough food to last you 7 days per dog. Put the date you filled it on the top. Every 3-4 months, rotate with new food. I would also make sure that you have enough water for the dogs and family for at least 5 days. You can use old 2 liter bottles of soda and fill with tap water. Date those as well. Water should be emptied and refilled every 3-4 months.

Keep a copy of all the dogs records, including photos, in a separate place, a fire safe is good, so that if you need to skedaddle, you can grab that and have all rabies vac info and identification. Make sure all your animals are Microchipped and the chip registered. One of the contacts should be a phone number that is not likely to change, a cell phone you have had for years, your vet clinic, your mom in Topeka.

Sorry. I think about this a lot. Not that Maryland(where I live) is prone to natural disasters. LOL.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Those are all great ideas.

I live in Oklahoma so our threat is tornados. Since we now have a storm shelter we keep our supplies down there. For dog food I just have a gallon bag of food down there....I will switch it out ever time we get a new bag. Water is a big thing...we had no water after May 20th.....if it wasn't for Walmart giving away water right away we would have been screwed. We now have 5 or 6 cases of bottled water. Lack of water is why we had to leave that evening.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
These are great tips.. I have wondered the same thing.. especially living in Hurricane Lane. I think I am going to get a soft kennel too, one that is easier to tote around and set up than the metal ones. I also have gallons and gallons of water for Titan.. and collapsable bowls for feeding time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.