Dobie vs GSD please help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Dobie vs GSD please help

Ok, I have owned trained tons of dogs from all kinds. malamutes to Pomeranians.
I live in a huge house. I wanna buy a new dog i narrowed to a dobbie and a gsd which should i get and why? I have the time to take care of them. Please state the difference in terms of INTELLIGENCE, STAMINA, PROTECTIVE INSTINCTS.
And any other info. Any help from owners of both or people who know is appreciated. Thank you.
GSDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

It would help if you stated what your intentions were for the dog. Will the dog be trained in a specific discipline or will it be just a family companion (not knocking this at all)?

IMO, the questions you ask leave a lot of room for interpretation based on the final use for the dog.

They will also differ greatly in individual dogs, as there is the gamut of all these attributes present in both breeds.

If you want a good family companion and are willing to find a good breeder, you can have a great dog from either breed. If you want to do sport with the dog, I would recommend a GSD as the chances of getting a good dog for the work are far greater. Not to say that there aren't good Dobies out there, but they are few and far between IME.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
It would help if you stated what your intentions were for the dog. Will the dog be trained in a specific discipline or will it be just a family companion (not knocking this at all)?

IMO, the questions you ask leave a lot of room for interpretation based on the final use for the dog.

They will also differ greatly in individual dogs, as there is the gamut of all these attributes present in both breeds.

If you want a good family companion and are willing to find a good breeder, you can have a great dog from either breed. If you want to do sport with the dog, I would recommend a GSD as the chances of getting a good dog for the work are far greater. Not to say that there aren't good Dobies out there, but they are few and far between IME.
all. its a family dog and also be trained obediance and tricks. also be a bit intimidating for protection purposes.
GSDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well, either breed is going to have an intimidation factor. Either breed can be a good pet and learn tricks. I think it's up to your personal preference. I personally find both breeds attractive as pets in demeanor and biddability.

I am PRO GSD as a working dog for sure, but as a pet it's really up in the air.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

then the difference can boil down to health.....yes the GSD is rife with possible problems....from bad hips to DM and allergies....some of which can be addressed in careful breeding. A breeder can load the genetic dice and test against certain things....

Dobes have their own problems. One of the biggest is cardial myeopathy....apparently healthy dogs just drop over dead with no warning at a young age - knew a lady who had a Sch2 young male playing in her yard and just dropped. Again, this can be tested for genetically - not sure of the disease's process, but if you go Dobe - be absolutely sure you get a pup whose parents are tested clear for this, and a few others

Von Schwarz Doberman Kennel

I know this kennel, train with some of the dogs.....she is diligent in health testing. Also, you don't state where you are, but Wendy Schmidt in California is a very reputable and accomplished Doberman person - Katie of vonSchwarz has a young male she got from/through Wendy.

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Another dobie fan. My trainer was looking at getting one but as David said good working Dobies are hard to find in the US.

Aesthetically Dobies loose the intimidation factor if the ears aren't cropped, tail docked and for me, personally, that whole cropping, wrapping, bandaging the ears to get them to stand is something I'd rather not deal with.

As mentioned they have their share of genetic health issues too.

For these reasons I haven't pursued the dobie route myself, though every time I see a nice one I pause, just for a bit....

I think you'll have more choices of good breeders and puppies that will suit your desires if go with the GSD.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Right..so what do I do? click on Lee's link and drool over those dogs and they have puppies right now too.....
Old 04-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Dobermans are SO handsome. There are a couple at my hotel for a dog show this weekend, a big one and a puppy.... I want one!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not sure if its the case for all Dobermans, but the 2 I've met did not like cold weather, unlike most shepherds, who seem to enjoy it. Like I said, I don't know what the breed is like dealing with the cold as a whole, but depending on your location and activities, might be something to consider.

Last edited by Nigel; 04-06-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
then the difference can boil down to health.....yes the GSD is rife with possible problems....from bad hips to DM and allergies....some of which can be addressed in careful breeding. A breeder can load the genetic dice and test against certain things....

Dobes have their own problems. One of the biggest is cardial myeopathy....apparently healthy dogs just drop over dead with no warning at a young age - knew a lady who had a Sch2 young male playing in her yard and just dropped. Again, this can be tested for genetically - not sure of the disease's process, but if you go Dobe - be absolutely sure you get a pup whose parents are tested clear for this, and a few others

Von Schwarz Doberman Kennel

I know this kennel, train with some of the dogs.....she is diligent in health testing. Also, you don't state where you are, but Wendy Schmidt in California is a very reputable and accomplished Doberman person - Katie of vonSchwarz has a young male she got from/through Wendy.

Lee
Nice looking dogs. A friend had two Dobies. The third from the bottom the ears are a bit thin for my taste, but maybe acceptable by the show judges. William Shatner had Dobies in the late 80s, my vet was on board.

The have a weak link in the neck and if they charge you and they get a front snap kick to the chin, they might die on the spot, but good luck with that. Direct eye contact is a no no. There's a movie where they are used to steal items, I suggest you see that film, it's a good one. Children, is another issue to be considered.

The dogs are beautiful, no doubt...
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.