Was this rude or was I right? (long) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to firestorm
Default Was this rude or was I right? (long)

Our GSD is 14 months old, high energy female, super active, plays rough. You need to be firm with her. I put her out side on her lead this morning and went back inside. Only a couple of minutes, she started barking then I heard some kids and thought my husband was home with the grand kids but then I realized I did not hear the car pull up. Plus she would not bark at the grand kids or my husband. I look outside the window and the person who lives right next door was by the dog with two strange kids I have not seen before. He was trying to get her to behave and sit, she would not listen to him and in the mean time she was barking at the one kid. He was still trying to get her to settle when the one kid started to go toward her and back up several times. This was all in a short time span. Well, I went out side and told him that I would prefer him not to bring kids over if we are not outside. My husband is telling me never to say anything. Was I right? I have to protect my dog. This person feels like he can walk in our yard any time, on foot or with his ATV and go up and pet the dog. His back yard is even with our house, our house is set back on our property and I found out that he will stand in his back yard and call the dogs name and make noises. I found this out when they invited us over and they had a few to many and his wife told me. Her lead and kennel is on that side of the house. I am just fed up with people like this. What are your guys opinion on this? Sorry if to long.
firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I do not believe you were rude whatsoever.....simply being responsible and acting in a fashion which is best for everybody....including the dog.

A Robert Frost quote comes to mind....." Good fences make good neighbors"

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I have similar issues but not quite as drastic. When it was just my little dog outside people walking by would stop and reach over my fence to pet him. The neighbor girl on the left tries to play with my dogs through the fence and my neighbor on the right stops by to see them. He is ok because he has brought his dog over into my yard with my permission to socialize the animals. The neighbors behind us I am pretty sure don't mess around but I did find an empty peanut butter jar in that part of the yard one day. I let that one go because I didn't know if it was something that was buried in the bushes or if they gave it to the dogs. My husband and friend who is a property manager both stated that in city I have no right to stop people from doing this as long as they are outside of my yard because they are on public property. Have you posted No Trespassing and Beware of Dog signs? At least if you have those posted you have a little more protection on your side if something does happen. I'll be interested to see what people here have to say about the issue.

I now keep the little dog on a chain inside the fenced in yard because the neighbors and passerby's actions have encouraged him to charge the fence every time someone walks by. He has gotten out twice, once into the little girls yard and once right out the front. I think it's sad that I have to leash my dog inside his own fenced in yard but I can't change the actions of others so I have to adjust around their actions.

Last edited by Ellimaybel; 04-05-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: More to add
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not rude, best to just stay out with your dog while it conducts its "business", especially with no fence. It only takes a split second for some kind of accident/incident to happen, dog knocks kid down or even a solid unintended head-butt to one of the kids and you may have someone knocking on your door, just not worth the risk.

Kind of tough dealing with neighbors, but best to be clear with them. I'd have a talk about respecting boundaries, but be diplomatic, he may be a PITA, but there may come a time when you may need their help.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

what kind of a person calls YOUR dog and makes ''wierd'' noises? sounds like a potential Big problem IMHO.
and don't forget in the long run-if you fail to plan you might as well plan to fail.
best wishes for a peaceful outcome.
personally I would post my property with no trespassing signs ASAP.
Bobcat black and white tabby Dec. 2013
Ladybird-Min-Pin 1-10-01 until 2-12-14
pineconeforestGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your neighbor is obnoxious.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

all the above but also putting your dog on a tie out and not supervising her outside
and having people teasing her is going to make her aggressive
if you do not remedy this situation instantly you are liable to have a bite case on your hands very soon
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

fences make good neighbors.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
EJQ
Knighted Member

Certainly not rude!! I think you are correct in laying the ground rules - your property, your dog etc etc. Heaven only knows where you would be if the dog bit one of those kids!

AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
MISSY (crossed)
MERCEDES (crossed)
DION (crossed)
EJQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with the fence and not leaving your dog outside unattended. You can't fix stupid, but you can protect your dog.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.