Neighbour complaint ?? :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Neighbour complaint ?? :(

I am stuck living in a condo until the end of my semester before I graduate and go back home to live, and I recently got a letter stuck to my door from a neighbour. It reads,

"Dear owner of loud aggressive shepherd,
For the past several months your dog has been aggressively barking and lunging at people as they walk beside your door or beside your dog. When you signed the building contract there is a clause about pets, although nothing can be done directly, indirectly the buildings management may vote to force a possible eviction or request the landlord to file for removal of tenant. I strongly recommend that you send your aggressive dog to boarding school before someone files a formal complaint to the property management. Please respect the others and have your dog properly trained."

My boy has never aggressively barked or lunged at people!! Ever!! He loves people! He has a problem with dogs, he is dog-reactive, which were working on, but never humans. My friends have told me to not bother replying with a note, but I feel compelled to defend myself.

What do you guys think? I'm really upset
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

I most likely wouldn't go back and forth with something like that. I would work to reduce any reasons they have to take issue with your dog. Just like on those 'reality shows' I don't watch, build up alliances with any dog lovers in the building.

While at it, look into an exit as able.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

If your dog is lunging/barking at other dogs being walked by their owners, it probably does look like your dog is out of control and aggressive. I would speak to this neighbor and explain what your dog is actually doing and what you are doing to correct it. It can't hurt, and may help. You can't stop all people from gossiping but if you can get someone to understand their positive comments may help.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

if you know who posted the note, if this were me, I'd go talk to them, ask them if they have you confused with someone else? I would then ask them if they'd like to meet your dog.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

The writer said something about your door. Is your dog crated while you aren't home? If not, is it possible he is barking/jumping on the door when someone walks past? Or even if crated, just barking while you aren't home?
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does he bark at people when they walk by your door? If so I'd look into ideas to stop that. If not I'd set up some video to record that he isn't barking as people walk by should your neighbor push it.

Also have a friend record him while you have him outside showing that he is friendly and calm around people.

Then maybe stick a note to your door that you've got recordings and multiple objective witnesses to verify that your dog is not human aggressive in any way...if you so desire to take that last step....just to let the unknown neighbor know you are prepared to defend your dog and won't be an easy target.

Definately get evidence of your dog being friendly to people in multiple places and situations just in case...
Old 04-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

the recording at home would be ideal. isn't less than 8 weeks till school is over?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do you know the neighbor and if they might be fairly reasonable? If they might be, I would approach them diplopmatically and ask specifics of if they walked by with dogs, explaining your dog's reaction to dogs and that you ARE working with it, and see if they'll participate as a witness in an experiment where you "leave" and have them walk by without then separately with the dog (if they have one) to see if your dog does react to either situation. If they ar poopheads, then you can explain if you'd like just in case, but maybe talk to the Association if needed to let them know what's going on and that you are working on things. Hard to say, but good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
cethlen1621 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 03:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was in a similar situation. I spoke to other neighbours and asked if my dogs were noisy when I wasn't in and explained about her dog reactiveness. The one who complained was terrified of dogs and didn't even have to walk past our house but just wanted the dogs gone. All my other neighbours said the dogs were fine and there were no problems. The complaining neighbour even got our local council to come round and check for noise pollution! In the end the council were happy, particularly when they knew I had spoken to others and was willing to work on any problems.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Amurphy26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

You have every reason to be upset. First of all, people need to realize that just because dogs bark, does not mean they're agressive. My dog barks at everybody but she's a very loving dog. It's natural instinct. I would reply back. They could have came and talked to you and been more polite about it. You have every right to defend yourself and your sweet boy.

Skye (Skye Blanket) (8.22.11) - My Princess <3

"God gave me you for the ups & downs, god gave me you for the days of doubt.."
kreese323 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.