Let me know your opinion on Petsmart Doggie Hotel - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Let me know your opinion on Petsmart Doggie Hotel

so I will be going to visit family soon in Philidelphia soon and Petsmart doggie hotel came up as a option to let him stay there. But I'm not quite sure I want to leave my boy there unless I know he's going to be In great hands and enjoying himself! Let me know what you guys think, if it's not a good idea I'll be more than happy for Hunter to tag along
Hunter4628 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

My personal rule with all my animals is to find a place that has cameras that I can watch them anytime I want online. That way I can see how they eat and play, and how much attention they get

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewretched View Post
My personal rule with all my animals is to find a place that has cameras that I can watch them anytime I want online. That way I can see how they eat and play, and how much attention they get

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thank you good idea
Hunter4628 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would not board at petsmart. They have a big turn over in staff for a reason. I had a friend who was a groomer there and they kept pushing her and the other groomers to hurry and get more dogs done. She hated that because some dogs were frightened and needed gentle care and time.

They do have good people working for them but those folks usually move on fairly quickly because a big box retail business model doesn't mesh well with animal care that is unpredictable and sometimes what is best for the animal is not profitable.

If you can check out other kennels that specialize in dog care or a pet sitter. Make sure the pet sitter is properly licensed and insured.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

First let me say every facility is different and depends on management/ employees there. I like the Petsmart day camp in my area, my dog loves it and he doesnt come back smelling weird like at another expensive day camp place I tried, however I would not board with them overnight. i use dogvacay.com if I have to leave my dogs with someone other than family or want to take them to the state we are vacationing in and want them close to me. With dogvacay.com , you are insured when you book through them and there are reviews

Last edited by Msmaria; 04-03-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know much about the boarding but I was not thrilled with the doggie play area and it wasn't even my dog there, I was observing a nice GSD there for playtime and there was about 5 other bigger dogs in there with one very petite person with a water bottle. The problem came with the ball and at one point she had to leash the GSD. It's just not a good idea to have several ball driven dogs in a 10x12 room with one ball to play with. It was a fight waiting to happen. All of the dogs body language was screaming fight..
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I feel comfortable boarding my dog with my vet. Its a 24 hour practice, there are always people around and if a health issue pops, it can be handled right away.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I did the "hound dog heII " hotels for a bit and then great fortune came my way....I found this lady that took care of dogs for a living....when we'd be gone on vacation or whatever...she'd take care of the dog and even bring her here and let her cruise about on her own turf....of course most of the doggy sitting was done at the lady's house but she is very flexible and takes the dog with her during the day.

The difference of coming home to a dog that stayed at the " pets r sin" joints vs staying with this lady was/is like night and day.

Hopefully, you can find someone like that...lots of peace of mind.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Petsmart can be a crapshoot. If you want to board him there, I would make sure it's one that has very good reviews that other people have had good experiences with. There's one near me that I trust my pup at, but that's only because I know the woman in charge and I know she is not only very trustworthy and committed to taking care of all the dogs, she is very knowledgeable about dogs in general, so she can head off any bad situations before they happen. But boarding him at another store that I don't know? No way. A someone else mentioned, a camera monitored pet hotel will offer the best peace of mind.
sechattin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Generally large corporate business models where time = money don't fit well with animal care. Unless it's a Zoo.

The caretakers get pushed to make bad decisions to save time and money. Been there, seen it too many times.

I personally don't recommend vets because for *most* practices boarding is secondary to the animals there for surgery or due to illness. Plus your dogs are being co housed with ill dogs and often are in those crates which are designed to keep recuperating animals from moving around as much, they are on the small side.

If you go with someone who sits at their home make sure they have insurance and are properly licensed to keep dogs in their home for $$. With the tough economic times a lot of people are doing this sort of thing to make some extra money. That's o.k. as long as they are doing things properly and safely with proper business insurance, zoning and licensing.

So many people were doing that in our county they started getting really strict with business licenses and you can't do it in areas zoned residential at all, any longer.

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 04-04-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.