German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Can't jog with my GSD normally! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/432793-cant-jog-my-gsd-normally.html)

Hunter4628 04-02-2014 03:51 PM

Can't jog with my GSD normally!

Every time I try to jog with him on walks he starts to bite the leash non stop someone please tell me why? And how I can fix this! Thank you!

Sunflowers 04-02-2014 03:54 PM

How is he walking on the leash?

Also, he is only 11 months. Would be good to wait until at least 18 months to jog with him.

TigervTeMar 04-02-2014 03:57 PM

agreed, lengthen the walks for now if he has excess energy. don't jog you'll regret not waiting the extra months if he gets HD

huntergreen 04-02-2014 04:04 PM

x2, let the hips finish developing.

Hunter4628 04-02-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 5312889)
x2, let the hips finish developing.

Alright thank you all for the advice I'll be taking it!

boomer11 04-02-2014 04:58 PM

You guys are naive if you think a dog before 18 months doesn't sprint at least a mile while playing fetch. Or jog at least a couple miles on a hike. Why don't people stop doing those activities?

It's the high impact stuff that has the possibility to alter hip growth. Stuff like a dog constantly jumping up for a ball and landing on its hind legs.

It's amazing people can throw a ball over and over for a dog but jogging with a dog (which is a much slower rate of speed than a dog sprinting after a ball) is somehow a big no no?

wyoung2153 04-02-2014 05:20 PM

I can't speak on how old to wait.. I was jogging with Titan probably earlier than I "should" have been.. anyways.. how is he on walking? does he bite the lead then?

I would guess that he sees lead flopping around and thinks it's play time. I run with a halter leash.. similar to this one Elegance Training Leather Dog Leash with Embossed Monogram - Color: Beige - Rakuten.com Shopping

or

Mendota Leather Jaeger Dog Lead 8ft x 3/4in - Dog.com

I loop and clip one end so I can sling the leash across my chest and there's just enough leash to clip onto his collar from my hip. Titan doesn't even see the lead when we jog.

RocketDog 04-02-2014 05:55 PM

My dog is the best running partner I've ever had. First, you need to teach him to walk on a leash. There shouldn't be any issue ever with the lead running. However, he needs to 'learn' how to run. Teach him by taking him on short ones, or short ones mixed with walking breaks since he's young.

Frankly, although I would never actually do it since part of my runs usually involve a country highway with a speed limit of 70, he doesn't even need he leash. He knows the drill. He knows "right", "left", "switch" ( from one side of me to the other). He pretty much is in a perfect heel. We even swerve around puddles etc in sync. I joke we're entering the next ice dancing Olympics. ;)

Practice makes perfect. So repetition repetition repetition. Correct him for biting the leash.

And no offense to anyone, but no way in Hades would I wrap a leash around any part of me. Asking for trouble. Dogs can trip ( rarely, but if they're gawking at something) or you trip-- I don't even wrap it around my hand. I hold it loosely. We have lots of wildlife here, and while we've encountered moose and other such things, and was stellar, doesn't mean he's not a dog. Moving forward and barely landing on your feet are conducive to being drug on your face with just the right burst in the wrong direction.

wyoung2153 04-02-2014 06:23 PM

None taken on the wrapping.. but if your dog does heel perfectly and pay absolute attention then you shouldn't have an issue. We jog with a prong on too so that def. Helps.. but in my 4 years running this way.. ive not once had an issue. Even with him gawking at passing dogs.. I just keep going and he learns that mom's gonna run regardless so I need to keep up. He'd rather be with me than another dog or human anyways.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

RocketDog 04-02-2014 06:28 PM

Of course he "shouldn't"-- there's lots of things that "shouldn't" happen. The point is, my dog weighs 85lbs. I'm not attaching him to myself ever. I run outside all year round. Ice, snow, you name it. In 25 years, I've never fallen once.

That doesn't mean I won't tomorrow.