Do you like taking your dog to the dog park? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you like taking your dog to the dog park?

just curious about opinions on dog parks! I bring my pup to the dog park atleast 4 times a week! He loves it, he really does. He gets along with every other dogs just fine. Other dog owners would always compliment how well- behaved he is. The thing that i dislike about the park is not enough people care to pick up their dog's waste. People litter and its very aggravating because i want my dog in a clean environment ( this dog park is the closest to where i live)There's times when people actually take their dog into the park while they're on heat

(picture of him when he was smaller)

Last edited by Hunter4628; 04-01-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Hunter4628 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Absolutely not. It's not the dogs I have an issue with, it's the people. They bring aggressive dogs, don't keep their dogs under control, don't even watch them.

My pup is almost 5 months and I want all her experiences to be positive so that she won't become fearful or aggressive. One bad incident would be one too many and I'm not willing to risk her well being.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jazzy did fine at dog parks, she ignored the other dogs and it was simply a place where we could legally walk trails offleash.

I started taking Delgado at 6 months until he hit 9 months, he did very well 95% of the time. Was attacked once but no injuries thankfully, he was still intact however and by 9 months the dogs behaviour changed towards him. He lost his 'puppy license' and when they started treating him harsher he pushed back and I stopped taking him before something bad would happen.

I have no issues with certain parks, they can be a great source of exercise and fun for the dogs but you have to have the right dog and most GSD's don't fit that mold.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was so excited in 2001 when Providence announced putting in a dog park right on the Pawtucket River. Views, big field, separate area for little dogs... We had one closer to the house that was just a big field - no fence but Luther loved going for socialization.

When it first opened, it was great, Luther loved it. He enjoyed the company of other dogs, the park had grass, it was clean and frequented by EastSide people who weren't nasty jerks. The city took care of it.

I didn't go for a few years because my oldest son was born and Luther passed away about a year and a half later. When I got back there with Morgan about 5 years later, it was a dirt bowl full and there was icky poopy around, bunch of dirty tennisballs. Morgan sat there with the humans supervising the other dogs. I took her a few times, she always acted the same 'oh this is a nice place to socialize with humans.'

Took Otto a few times when he was a young dog, he'd go meet the other dogs and then want to go play in the corner with a ball. Since he didn't really want to play with the other dogs, I'd get all this annoying unsolicited advice from people with little dogs who watched too much Cesar Millan. I stopped going the day a guy showed up with a bully breed in the wire basket muzzle 'for socialization' I have a back yard Otto can play ball in since he obviously doesn't want to have friends like Luther liked having.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Dog park is alright. I mostly keep to the one very close to my house because if I pull up and it's too crazy or I see a dog that I know from past experience is aggressive, I'll turn right back around and leave. I usually go on off-hours when there aren't many people and those who do come are regulars that I know and trust. Mostly the dog park is just a safe (read, fenced!) off-leash area for me to take Kaiju to play around when there aren't a lot of people.
sechattin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCzarina View Post
I was so excited in 2001 when Providence announced putting in a dog park right on the Pawtucket River. Views, big field, separate area for little dogs... We had one closer to the house that was just a big field - no fence but Luther loved going for socialization.

When it first opened, it was great, Luther loved it. He enjoyed the company of other dogs, the park had grass, it was clean and frequented by EastSide people who weren't nasty jerks. The city took care of it.

I didn't go for a few years because my oldest son was born and Luther passed away about a year and a half later. When I got back there with Morgan about 5 years later, it was a dirt bowl full and there was icky poopy around, bunch of dirty tennisballs. Morgan sat there with the humans supervising the other dogs. I took her a few times, she always acted the same 'oh this is a nice place to socialize with humans.'

Took Otto a few times when he was a young dog, he'd go meet the other dogs and then want to go play in the corner with a ball. Since he didn't really want to play with the other dogs, I'd get all this annoying unsolicited advice from people with little dogs who watched too much Cesar Millan. I stopped going the day a guy showed up with a bully breed in the wire basket muzzle 'for socialization' I have a back yard Otto can play ball in since he obviously doesn't want to have friends like Luther liked having.

RIP to your boy Luther
Hunter4628 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

one word no

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dog poo, diseases, fleas and ticks, other parasites, unknown dogs running around unleashed, out of control... not my idea of a good place to take Hans.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thank you. They all live on in my heart and memories.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

The dog park was somewhere that I thought responsible owners took their dogs. It was fine until my dog hit the 8 or 9 month mark. Then other dogs seemed to single Empire out in an aggressive way and they didn't like the response.

We stopped going then and I've since learned that it wasn't that great of an idea for us anyway.

I much prefer now to use the empty fenced in fields at the high school. And the tennis court helps keep his nails in check, since I'm one of THOSE owners who hasn't figured out how to trim nails yet.

Back on topic though, most folks seemed to pick up after themselves well. But there was the occasional odd pile.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Curtis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.