Wonderful smell? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wonderful smell?

Does anyone else notice a specific smell your doggie has and it smells amazing? I'm not talking about after a bath, which smells good in a different, clean way. Its like a natural scent specific to him, and it's soo comforting! I've smelt other dogs and they don't have that scent to them. I love hugging him and taking deep breaths My friends think it's just a smelly dog scent

Anyone else??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I totally agree! I love how my dog smells, and take whiffs of him all the time, lol. There's no way you can compare the aroma of a GSD to other breeds, IMO. Maybe because of their undercoat, they're not as oily? Or their erect ears keep that area ventilated and smelling fine? IDK what it is, but the smell of this breed is amazing to me too. Unless you let their hair stay damp in humid weather, and they get mildewed - that's pretty gross but easily remedied, lol.
Blanketback is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

One thing that working in a shelter has proven to me is that different breeds have very distinctive smells. I can smell the GSD smell in a GSD mix. We all know beagles have their own special kind of odor. I can also smell "lab." Probably some other breeds too.

I have often said that my two dogs smell so different from each other. Tar just never stinks. I can brush him good and he is as clean and shiny as a new penny. Jocasssee on the other hand definitely gets the lab funk going on and requires soap and water more often than Tar.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

My dogs smell like my dryer sheets, lol.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

LOL! I got so annoyed with DH because he let my dog sleep on a comforter he'd washed with the 'stinky' detergent! I reserve that one for things that don't need to be scent-free, because it's much cheaper than the hypoallergenic I use for myself and the animals' bedding. Oh, it was not a good day when my dog stank like that! Yuck!
Blanketback is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I think, you are checking your own abilities to detect smells. Of course, every living creature has his own personal and very much unique smell (I'm not sure about particular smell of a particular breed, though I believe, that is not impossible). Personally, I'd say, for me some dogs smell repulsive, and some smell pleasant. If you want to educate further your own nose and to know more about an amazing world our dogs live in, but of which we are almost deprived, read this:
"Scent and the scenting dog" by William G. Syrotuck.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yep Lara smells good - hardly ever needs baths, her scent isn't very strong. Unless she was recently wet. I hate petting peoples dogs and then your hand smells really strong afterwards
Old 03-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes....my dog's paws smell like Fritos sometimes...give your pooch's paws a whiff and see what you think. Besides that...my dog smells rather pleasant and I have only bathed her 3 times in 18 months....granted she gets to swim in clean lakes in the spring, summer and fall.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Yes....my dog's paws smell like Fritos sometimes...give your pooch's paws a whiff and see what you think. Besides that...my dog smells rather pleasant and I have only bathed her 3 times in 18 months....granted she gets to swim in clean lakes in the spring, summer and fall.

SuperG
I don't know if its true or not, but I read somewhere (on the internet) that the Frito smell is the corn in the dogs diet working its way out of the sweat glands in the dog's paws.

I'd be curious to know if the raw feeders have this smell. I did on Iams, but the smell is gone since I've switched.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Curtis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
I don't know if its true or not, but I read somewhere (on the internet) that the Frito smell is the corn in the dogs diet working its way out of the sweat glands in the dog's paws.

I'd be curious to know if the raw feeders have this smell. I did on Iams, but the smell is gone since I've switched.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I was told it's sweat or something.
My dog has zero corn in her diet and they still smell like Fritos or corn chips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.