German Shepherds Forum banner

Wonderful smell?

2K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  AKIRA3 
#1 ·
Does anyone else notice a specific smell your doggie has and it smells amazing? I'm not talking about after a bath, which smells good in a different, clean way. Its like a natural scent specific to him, and it's soo comforting! I've smelt other dogs and they don't have that scent to them. I love hugging him and taking deep breaths:p My friends think it's just a smelly dog scent:(

Anyone else??

#2 ·
I totally agree! I love how my dog smells, and take whiffs of him all the time, lol. There's no way you can compare the aroma of a GSD to other breeds, IMO. Maybe because of their undercoat, they're not as oily? Or their erect ears keep that area ventilated and smelling fine? IDK what it is, but the smell of this breed is amazing to me too. Unless you let their hair stay damp in humid weather, and they get mildewed - that's pretty gross but easily remedied, lol.

#3 ·
One thing that working in a shelter has proven to me is that different breeds have very distinctive smells. I can smell the GSD smell in a GSD mix. We all know beagles have their own special kind of odor. I can also smell "lab." Probably some other breeds too.

I have often said that my two dogs smell so different from each other. Tar just never stinks. I can brush him good and he is as clean and shiny as a new penny. Jocasssee on the other hand definitely gets the lab funk going on and requires soap and water more often than Tar.

#5 ·
LOL! I got so annoyed with DH because he let my dog sleep on a comforter he'd washed with the 'stinky' detergent! I reserve that one for things that don't need to be scent-free, because it's much cheaper than the hypoallergenic I use for myself and the animals' bedding. Oh, it was not a good day when my dog stank like that! Yuck!

#6 ·
I think, you are checking your own abilities to detect smells. Of course, every living creature has his own personal and very much unique smell (I'm not sure about particular smell of a particular breed, though I believe, that is not impossible). Personally, I'd say, for me some dogs smell repulsive, and some smell pleasant. If you want to educate further your own nose and to know more about an amazing world our dogs live in, but of which we are almost deprived, read this:
"Scent and the scenting dog" by William G. Syrotuck.

#7 ·
Yep Lara smells good - hardly ever needs baths, her scent isn't very strong. Unless she was recently wet. I hate petting peoples dogs and then your hand smells really strong afterwards

#8 ·
Yes....my dog's paws smell like Fritos sometimes...give your pooch's paws a whiff and see what you think. Besides that...my dog smells rather pleasant and I have only bathed her 3 times in 18 months....granted she gets to swim in clean lakes in the spring, summer and fall.

SuperG

#11 ·
Yes, I liked the smell of our dogs. In fact, after we had Maddie PTS we put her favorite blanket in a sealed bag to preserve some of her smell. We did that with our last dog and we could still detect her odor years after she was gone.

Smell is a very powerful memory trigger. One whiff of that old blanket brings back a rush of memories.

A bit OT but I have used scent to help me remember things. I used to chew grape hubba bubba chewing gum while studying for hard tests in college and then popped in another piece of that gum during the test. I helped.

#14 ·
I swear my cat has a good smell, it is right on the back of the neck. When I am laying my head on him, I sometimes use him like a pillow, I can smell it and it always calms me. However, my Italian Greyhound smells weird, probably the closest description is wet dog, but without the water.

#18 ·
GSD fragrance

In all the dogs We encounter on a daily basis, I will have to say that GSD's don't carry odd smells like other breeds can. I agree that our GSD's smell fine, with no real doggie odor, I believe in part due to their coat make-up. Daily brushing seems to bring out the best shine to a wonderful coat- but I guess I am biased-I love my GSD's!!!!!:):):). Bob

#19 ·
I like the smell of a GSD, can't stand the smell of many terriers. My wolf shepherds had their own distinctive smell. I kept trying to wash it off my first one, couldn't figure out what it was. We got used to it, and it was the same with all of them.

The animal smell I really, really like, though, is a horse's coat who is kept at pasture, not in a barn. I used to lay my head against them and just breathe in the scent--it's a clean smell, and at the same time kind of wild. Nothing like it.

Susan

#21 ·
My white shepherd had almost a wood smokey smell to her fur. It was awesome. Buddy and Shadow brothers had almost the same scent. After Shadow passed I would go hug Bud and close my eyes and pretend they were both still with me. When Buddy passes I'm going to be a basket case.

#30 ·
That's funny, female rats usually smell like an artificial grape flavor, which is kinda like grape koolaid. It reminds me of this grape kids conditioner I used to use. Actually a friend's sister once went around smelling everyones' heads for some reason and she told me mind smelled like rats LOL (because I was using grape conditioner). Male rats supposedly smell like warm tortillas but I've only owned females.

Bianca my GSD liked to lay outside in the grass/dirt so she sometimes smelled not so great, but it wasn't too strong. My Golden Retriever smelled really good, and hardly ever needed a bath. People would sometimes pet or smell her and ask if she'd just had a bath when actually it had been a long time since she'd had one.

I hate when you pet someone else's dog and they leave like a smelly residue on your hands, and when you rub your hands together there's actually a film on them... :crazy:

#26 ·
I love Hunter's natural scent. I think the amount of time we spend outdoors plus being raw fed makes the way he smells so much better. Not sure why, but his muzzle and neck smell the best. He still kind of has puppy breath, in my opinion. :p

I cannot possibly write about how great my dog smells without sounding weird. Haha.

#27 ·
Waxed canvas jacket, cordite(gunpowder) and bourbon. I am a happy man with that combo.

Anyway, I just buried my nose in the dogs scruff. Cable smells like clean fur, bit of musk possibly some dust. Allie didn't have a smell to discern, possibly fresh broccoli?

Both are on raw, with the occasional grain free kibble when I'm feeling lazy. Cable has not had a bath in a long time, months and months I think. Allie rolled in something awful few weeks back and got a bath. I hosed Cable off a few days back, he decided that laying in a mudhole was a grand plan.

#31 ·
My dogs smell better at certain times than others but I've never smelled a bad smelling horse. They have a warm, grassy and slightly dusty smell that is like perfume to me. Ha ha...a new scent for the candle companies. Eau de pony.
Funny, I love the smell of horses to. Like comfort food for the nose.

I always said Sabi smelled like a warm blanket, I don't know how else to describe it.

#29 ·
Yeah, Jake's feet smell a little like corn chips. I don't know if it's Fritos brand or not. Lol. But there is no corn in his food. I swear out all my GSDs over the years, he's got the softest coat, but a very suttle smell. I've got my face in his fur a lot, so he must smell pretty good. Oh and the horse! That's a whole nother level of wonderful smell!! Sometimes I go out back and just bury my nose in my horses neck. That's my all time favorite smell. I feel so sorry for people who say they can't be around animals cause they're allergic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.