German Shepherds Forum banner

Boarding my dog?

870 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
I have to go away for 4 days in the near future.
No family can look after my 2 year old male
im scared of leaving him in a kennel because all i can imagine is him being alone 24/7 for 4 days?

The kennels around me all charge for walks - This left me speechless as i thought daily exercise is a must

Also after his 30 min walk or what not i can just imagine him being alone all day? lol

All the reveiws on most kennels near me are bad :/

My mother said she will come every day and spend time with him

Are kennels that bad?

#2 · (Edited)
It depends on the person running the kennel. We have been taking my two to the same kennel for years, and the owner is great. Has a large fenced in area where she allows the dogs to run and play for a while. Always being supervised. The dogs love it there. Be very careful where you go though, we took them to a different place once, and they came home sick.
Also, they need to be vaccinated against kennel cough before you can board. Some believe that this vaccine can make your dog sick or not work, hopefully someone will be able to tell you more about it.
Good luck!

#3 ·
Go take a look before committing your dog to it. I had to write off 3 in my area before finally finding a decent one, and then later I found an even better one - this last one had really spacious indoor kennels that were separated by concrete, with a doggie door to nice individual outdoor areas that were also well covered, so no escaping. If I told you about the terrible places I saw, you wouldn't ever want to leave your dog at all, lol. Just be aware that the regulations for kennels might be pretty lax, and not strictly enforced either, so you want to see these places first. Some are very very nice - you just have to find them. Good luck searching.

#4 ·
I interviewed a lot of kennels before settling on the one I send my dogs. Similar setup, concrete walls between the dogs and plexiglass doors with locks. One of mine is an accomplished crate smith.

They do charge extra for play time although with 2 dogs going for boarding, they get extra time, 4 times a day for half hour - which would be 15 minutes if I just sent one but mine can play together.

They always come home on super good behavior. My male is a bit of boss dog jerk and nothing says I love you Mommy I won't question your authority like 2 nights in the kennel

#7 ·
When we had the two dogs, we had them kenneled together for the weekend and they were fine. Don't know if they got any playtime as I instructed "no other dogs".

I had no problems. But now with the one dog, don't know, most likely we would go with a dogie sitter and keep him home.

#8 ·
Yes go check them out, one we used had the indoor/outdoor pens as described in the posts above. Unfortunately the long time owners retired and it is now closed. I always hated boarding them but they always seemed alright. Cody would ride with his back to me and ignore me on the way home, but then he'd forgive and go on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.