German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   My biggest "pet" peeve... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/430617-my-biggest-pet-peeve.html)

Serbrider 03-28-2014 02:24 PM

My biggest "pet" peeve...

...is when people own animals and cannot afford even a basic vet checkup when the dog is sick.

I'm on a few "raw feeding" and "natural dog" groups on facebook. Because I feed my dog raw and I'm always interested in new studies that come out that counter conventional medicine (even though there's very few studies and just "ooh look! Oil pulling is a cure for all of these things!" with nothing to back that up except it's "old medicine").

I was on one today, and this girl was asking why her raw fed dog has a dull coat. She feeds a good variety. Mostly lean meats, but a good variety and based on what she's feeding, apart from maybe not enough fat, there's no reason her dog should have a dull coat.

So I and a few others were suggesting that she go to the vet to get bloodwork and a thyroid panel done.

She said she's on a tight budget, that her dog has never been to the vet, and never will, and that's why she feeds raw, because she can't afford to go to the vet and pay $35 for a shot, but how much would it cost to get bloodwork done?

Someone in her area priced it at about $300-350 depending on what all needed to be done/sent in to a lab.

She immediately responded with "Yeah, that's way out of my budget, I'm not doing that."

Urgh... just really frustrates me. $300-350 to figure out if your dog has a medical condition that could be easily managed if caught early vs your dog eventually dying in pain or dealing with uncomfortable symptoms the rest of their life. I mean, right now it's not an emergency. It's a dull coat. She did say she'd find a way to take the dog in for an emergency... as long as it's not something that requires a $2-4000 surgery.

Now, this person has a tight budget but she is willing to work and do what is best for her dog.

But there are quite a few others that will let their dog be in pain for MONTHS on end because "I can't afford a vet right now".

Well... if you can't afford to take care of your dog, then maybe you shouldn't have one. :mad: (and then that is all "I have every right to own a dog, you can't tell me what I can or can't do, blah blah blah"...)

Jax08 03-28-2014 02:26 PM

My favorite ones are the ones doing fundraisers for vet bills ALL THE TIME.

I need to start doing that.

Hangnail! Send me money!

LaRen616 03-28-2014 02:28 PM

Also, if you don't have that kind of cash available to you at that time then you should get a credit card for emergency purposes!

I got a credit card with a $10,000 limit just in case I ever have an emergency with one of my animals that is too expensive for me to pay for at that time.

Serbrider 03-28-2014 02:34 PM

Totally agree. I don't have a credit card, but a savings fund of about $6,000. I have not had to dip into it once (it's for emergencies only, I keep enough cushion in my budget for incidental visits to the vet if something comes up), and if all four of my animals come down with something at the same time, I'd be in trouble and have to get help/loans from family. But cross fingers that it won't happen... since it's not really fun to pay $4-5000 in colic surgery on top of whatever my dogs and cat might do to me. ;)

And the whole raising money for my poor fluffy who is undergoing heartworm treatment because I couldn't keep up with preventative? *facepalm*

LaRen616 03-28-2014 02:40 PM

Quick story, I babysat my cousin's Doberman at my house. I immediately noticed that the dog had raw/dry/irritated/red/bumpy sores/missing hair by his tummy/hips/groin area and he walked weird because it hurt him. I asked my cousin if he took him to the Vet and he said "No, I think he got bit by some ants, hes never had skin issues before, do you think its from ant bites because its been like that for a week now. I thought maybe hes allergic to ants. I told him "no, I don't think it's from ants, it looks like an infection, maybe a staph infection, he really needs to see a Vet, he's in pain and it could get worse." He complained that a Vet visit would cost him at least $100! I basically had to call him a crappy dog owner in order to convince him to take the dog to the Vet. He did take him the next day and it did turn out to be a staph infection. :mad:

wyoung2153 03-28-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5285481)
Also, if you don't have that kind of cash available to you at that time then you should get a credit card for emergency purposes!

I got a credit card with a $10,000 limit just in case I ever have an emergency with one of my animals that is too expensive for me to pay for at that time.

That does frustrate me too, but I'll admit that I did get a puppy once when I probably couldn't have afforded the extra visits. Routine, sure, got that, extra random things.. it would have been ramen for me! But I'd have done it.

Another thing to think about is a lot of people don't expect to have to pay expensive bills in the beginning, often they assume it is a puppy and will be healthy and don't consider the accidents and surgeries if something happens. Shoot even the expense of spaying and neutering.. a friend of mine has an Akita and waited until she was about 7 months to spay (which is totally fine btw) but she weighs about 70 lbs give or take, which impact the surgery cost and she wasn't/isn't prepared for that. She currently calling everyone to compare prices and find the lowest cost because she didn't think it would be $300-400.

Pet insurance was something I thought woudl be pretty neat, but only recently has it become more of a normalcy.. at least in this area. I thought it would good to have since all of them won't cover pre-existing anything.. but I came to the conclusion that the credit card would be much much better for me especially with a relatively healthy dog with just routine visits at the moment. The monthly payments would probably equate to that of monthly payments for the credit card if I ever needed to use it.

blackshep 03-28-2014 02:47 PM

I saw a girl on a horse forum I'm on trying to raise $30,000 from donations so she could take back a horse she'd rehomed after he was found emaciated, headed for slaughter, then rescued by someone else.

Keep in mind he'd already been rescued. Now she wanted him back to make sure he was safe. She couldn't afford to keep him safe to begin with, how is she going to keep him safe now? And $30K??? Holy Hannah! He's better off where he is!

People sometimes need to use their heads, not their hearts when it comes to getting animals.

I get that you might get into a rough spot for a while, but to say you're never going plan to have the money for a vet appt ever? Yikes!

Sarah~ 03-28-2014 03:09 PM

I use Banfield, there are things I don't like about it but I couldn't afford vet care otherwise. My family gets annoyed with me because I will spend my last dime for my dogs at the vet, no problem. I'm getting a credit card for emergencies to help with that so it's a bit easier on me, but there's no way I won't take my dogs to the vet. I can definitely relate to not having the money for it but I do what I have to do. I have to admit there has been a couple times where it took me a day or two to get the money, though.

Serbrider 03-28-2014 03:28 PM

IMO though there's a big difference between someone who a scrimps and saves so their dog can receive proper care, and someone who won't even step foot in a vet's office bc "they overcharge" and then spend hours online asking strangers to diagnose and treat a 4 inch mystery lump.... But the treatment needs to be something around the house...???

I do my own preventative care apart from rabies. I can quality control better and I know what I'm doing. And I will look through my veterinary manuals (both vet school textbooks and those for owners) for remedies to simple mild problems. But I will go to a vet without a second thought with things I know I'll need them for. Like bloodwork. Like properly draining a hematoma. Like taking a biopsy of a lump to make sure it's not cancerous.

Not sit back and complain about how I can't afford it and how all the suggested treatments are too expensive, wouldn't vinegar and hydrogen peroxide just work?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SunCzarina 03-28-2014 05:54 PM

Yeah. Some people shouldn't own a pet rock.