artificial grass? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default artificial grass?

thinking about putting artificial grass in my back yard and was wondering if anyone here has done it and if so what did you use and would y'all have any recommendations? Thanks
Roxann2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I looked into it a few years ago but never installed as I figured the dogs will have a go at it sooner or later and tear it up. They do have a sturdier pet friendly variety so definitely ask for that. You still have to water/wash it!
Artificial Grass | Synthetic Grass | Artificial Turf | Synthetic Turf - ForeverLawn
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's a process. To have it professionally installed it would cost me over $10,000.00
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had it for a while on my side yard next to the driveway. Didn't really work out - hard to keep it clean and it wrinkled from the dogs and the wind (yes it was tacked down.)

I only used it because Luther was a digger, tore out the entire lawn there in an afternoon. Quick solution didn't last long, 2 or 3 years before I threw it out and replaced it with bluestone. Bluestone's easy to keep clean and it helps keep the dirt out of the house - it falls off on the patio.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wouldn't put it in a backyard.

For it to be safe, you need to have a layer of insulation or padding under the grass. There's a dog park in a nearby neighborhood that has artificial grass just tacked on over plain concrete and it is absolutely not safe for the dogs (or for the people who have the misfortune of slipping and falling on it). They can't get traction and I'm sure it is not good for their joints to be jumping on that, because there's no cushioning for the impact.

Many trial facilities, especially agility venues, have properly installed artificial grass over a layer of matting or plastic granules to absorb impact. That seems to work much better. However, keeping it clean is very important -- dogs are strongly discouraged from urinating on the surface (and some facilities will charge you $5 per potty mistake to cover the cost of cleaning and eventual replacement) and you can't eat or drink on the turf because if something spills and soaks through the grass layer, it's never coming out.

I can't see how you would keep the turf clean in a backyard (all the agility venues I've ever seen with it have been indoors) and I think it would be pretty expensive to install.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We looked at it too, very spendy and there is some concerns about safety in regards to chemical exposure. There are on going studies about it, but don't know what the risks are at this point for sure.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Artificial grass and turf are two different things. The grass I'm talking about has drainage and comes in different lengths to choose from. Are we all talking about the same thing? There is a pretty decent guarantee with what I looked at. Not many places carry it.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know if the concerns are just cautionary or being founded, lots of articles, difficult to find one with just the facts. This ones fairly straight up Synthetic Turf: Health DebateTakes Root

I read some information saying it destroys the microbes in the soil as well, making it hard to break down urine, feces etc... Even when rinsing it down, there maybe other steps necessary in keeping it odor free with dogs using it. Could all be unnecessary worry, but combined with cost, we decided to stay with turf.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Artificial grass and turf are two different things. The grass I'm talking about has drainage and comes in different lengths to choose from. Are we all talking about the same thing? There is a pretty decent guarantee with what I looked at. Not many places carry it.
Probably not the same as what I had - astroturf. For the same cost, I could have used indoor outdoor carpet. Way cheaper to reseed the lawn every year and cross my fingers LOL. That's on my list, after the pest control guy comes to treat my garage for termites AGAIN

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help gave me a lot to think about
Roxann2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.