German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   What's going on? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/430354-whats-going.html)

Strypher 03-27-2014 10:43 PM

What's going on?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Sorry if this is the wrong section to post but I posted before that my vet told me, I'll be able to walk this beauty at 4 months Attachment 194954

I think everyone on this forum told me to go change my vet cause of current one was a "terrible vet" I changed my vet . She also said 4 months. I thought ok maybe she isn't a good vet either lemme go ask anther one . 3rd one said 4 months ... Hmm is it a coincidence that all 3 are bad vets ... ITS POSSIBLE ! Went to a 4th vet ... Can you believe he said 4 months ?! What's going on ? I thought maybe just maybe i need to go to a top vet to get accurate information. So I did... I'm not even going to say what the vet I think you guys understand . My first question is why was everyone calling my first vet crazy? Is it's New York thing Maybe? My next question involves my puppy food I am currently feeding her scientific diet. I did some research and yeah most reviews aren't that good but every vet recommended that also . Like I'm just confuse . Should I feed it to her cause my vet said or am I making the wrong decision maybe ? Last question .. How awesome does my puppy look :)


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

TigervTeMar 03-27-2014 10:56 PM

firstly, my vet said that too. I guess they see the cases where a pet gets walked too early and becomes very sick with something like parvo. so I held off until about 11 weeks at which point my pup was bored with our already interesting back yard and toys and everything around the house. so I walked him and just made sure he avoided dogs. I let people say hi and pet him if they wanted, and I liked that he could see dogs to help expand his world but I would never let him touch them. about 2 weeks ago we were walking regularly and I let friendly dogs touch noses and he's been fine. so I risked it, and things worked out fine. so it's your call but it IS undeniably a risk, you can reduce that risk by not letting her lick or small poop or physically interact with other dogs or people who are walking dogs. so if stuff works out, you'll be happy you risked it. but if she becomes deathly ill you'll curse the decision. choices choices! at this point I can't imagine having kept him on our property, he would still have 2 weeks to go.

you can also take your dog to puppy classes where all the pups are on the same level of immunity and # of vaccines they've had.

dunno about food but my guy is on 1lb of raw a day and as much nutrisource grain free chicken he can eat. the nutrisource was recommended by my breeder and looks good, has a probiotic in it and everything.

and your dog looks amaing :) beautiful face, pink tongue, and touching ears!

sechattin 03-27-2014 10:59 PM

To start off, you have an adorable pup! :) I am not aware of a previous thread from you, but it sounds like they are recommending no walks until your pup is four months due to vaccinations?

There are split opinions on exposing puppies to the outside world before they have all their vaccinations done. While it is a risk, I am of the mind that the risk of being infected by something is far lower than the risk you take not socializing your puppy to new people, environments, and stimulus at this time. Now, this socialization should be done in an intelligent manner. Of course, only socialize with familiar dogs that you know have vaccinations, only allow people to interact with your puppy in a respectful manner (no children manhandling your pup), and avoid high traffic areas such as dog parks that will have a lot of feces your pup could get into which would heighten the risk of infection and disease, especially parvo. Make sure interactions are positive and give your pup a break if it looks like they are getting overwhelmed. Vets often take the "better safe than sorry" approach when it comes to a pup's health, but socialization is such a big deal, especially with a GSD, that smart socialization that minimizes the risk of infectious disease should be carried out, IMHO.

As for Science Diet, the Hill's company funds almost all vet schools and veterinarians are given minimal knowledge in pet food nutrition, and what they do get is largely a salesman's plug to recommend Science Diet. The Science Diet Ideal Balance is alright, albeit overpriced. I would do some research as far as foods. The basics I tell people to look for are absolutely no by-products, corn, soy, or wheat. They are all just low-grade filler ingredients. I am partial to Fromms (especially for puppies), Merrick, Wellness, Orijen, and Castor & Pollux. My pup is currently on Orijen and is doing spectacularly, though what food they do best on depends largely on the individual dog.

SunCzarina 03-27-2014 11:03 PM

You are in NYC, these vets see all the diseases walking around on the sidewalk because they walk into his office. Until your puppy has all her shots, it's much safer to use a cart. The fold up ones you see people toting groceries around in, like this:

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...36270744_n.jpg

Strypher 03-27-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigervTeMar (Post 5282610)
firstly, my vet said that too. I guess they see the cases where a pet gets walked too early and becomes very sick with something like parvo. so I held off until about 11 weeks at which point my pup was bored with our already interesting back yard and toys and everything around the house. so I walked him and just made sure he avoided dogs. I let people say hi and pet him if they wanted, and I liked that he could see dogs to help expand his world but I would never let him touch them. about 2 weeks ago we were walking regularly and I let friendly dogs touch noses and he's been fine. so I risked it, and things worked out fine. so it's your call but it IS undeniably a risk, you can reduce that risk by not letting her lick or small poop or physically interact with other dogs or people who are walking dogs. so if stuff works out, you'll be happy you risked it. but if she becomes deathly ill you'll curse the decision. choices choices! at this point I can't imagine having kept him on our property, he would still have 2 weeks to go.

you can also take your dog to puppy classes where all the pups are on the same level of immunity and # of vaccines they've had.

dunno about food but my guy is on 1lb of raw a day and as much nutrisource grain free chicken he can eat. the nutrisource was recommended by my breeder and looks good, has a probiotic in it and everything.

and your dog looks amaing :) beautiful face, pink tongue, and touching ears!

thank you ! I heard raw is good but it is very expensive and I just don't have the money for it sadly :/





Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Strypher 03-27-2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sechattin (Post 5282634)
To start off, you have an adorable pup! :) I am not aware of a previous thread from you, but it sounds like they are recommending no walks until your pup is four months due to vaccinations?



There are split opinions on exposing puppies to the outside world before they have all their vaccinations done. While it is a risk, I am of the mind that the risk of being infected by something is far lower than the risk you take not socializing your puppy to new people, environments, and stimulus at this time. Now, this socialization should be done in an intelligent manner. Of course, only socialize with familiar dogs that you know have vaccinations, only allow people to interact with your puppy in a respectful manner (no children manhandling your pup), and avoid high traffic areas such as dog parks that will have a lot of feces your pup could get into which would heighten the risk of infection and disease, especially parvo. Make sure interactions are positive and give your pup a break if it looks like they are getting overwhelmed. Vets often take the "better safe than sorry" approach when it comes to a pup's health, but socialization is such a big deal, especially with a GSD, that smart socialization that minimizes the risk of infectious disease should be carried out, IMHO.



As for Science Diet, the Hill's company funds almost all vet schools and veterinarians are given minimal knowledge in pet food nutrition, and what they do get is largely a salesman's plug to recommend Science Diet. The Science Diet Ideal Balance is alright, albeit overpriced. I would do some research as far as foods. The basics I tell people to look for are absolutely no by-products, corn, soy, or wheat. They are all just low-grade filler ingredients. I am partial to Fromms (especially for puppies), Merrick, Wellness, Orijen, and Castor & Pollux. My pup is currently on Orijen and is doing spectacularly, though what food they do best on depends largely on the individual dog.

So I shouldn't even take recommendations on what to feed my pup from a vet cause they are probably being paid ? I was feeding her blue buffalo before and she was doing perfectly fine :/ n thank you :)
So


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Strypher 03-27-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunCzarina (Post 5282682)
You are in NYC, these vets see all the diseases walking around on the sidewalk because they walk into his office. Until your puppy has all her shots, it's much safer to use a cart. The fold up ones you see people toting groceries around in, like this:

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...36270744_n.jpg


Hey that isn't a bad idea!


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

my boy diesel 03-27-2014 11:26 PM

yes it is all about the vaccines
they would rather tell you 4 mos than treat him for parvo or distemper
good luck :)

sechattin 03-27-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strypher (Post 5282826)
So I shouldn't even take recommendations on what to feed my pup from a vet cause they are probably being paid ? I was feeding her blue buffalo before and she was doing perfectly fine :/ n thank you :)
So


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I trust my vet on a lot of things, but unfortunately food is not one of them. I have met a couple vets that actually knew a thing or two about food nutrition, but they seem to be few and far between. The second a vet recommends Science Diet to me, I tend to tune out their food suggestions... Also, if a food like Blue Buffalo is within your budget, I'd look at something like Fromm's. Similar price, higher quality in my opinion.

selzer 03-28-2014 12:05 AM

It is not so much that they are being paid, though some do sell the food out of the office, but too many vets only see dogs that are being the cheapest crap, like Ole Roy. For those dogs Purina or Science Diet is a step up. But that certainly is not one of the best foods. Raw might give your vet a stroke on the spot.

Best to research it and understand that Vets take one little class on Nutrition that is put together by the big dog food companies like Science Diet or Purina. And then they in turn, encourage people to use that food.

Before the last couple of months on here, I probably would have said the vet was mad too. Take the dog after the second set of shots. Unfortunately, we have seen Parvo on this site, and Distemper dogs, and it is just heartbreaking. Your vet knows what they are seeing in their practice, your neighborhood. Better safe than sorry.

The pup looks awesome. Have fun with him.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2